Author Topic: Wind alternators for sale  (Read 8366 times)

AlexHagen

Wind alternators for sale
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
All 5 alternators are sold AS IS, no documentation other than photos (upon request).
Strong preference to sell to a single buyer.  Sold for best offer but must exceed salvage value.

18 Pole 3 phase PMG with Neodymium Iron Boron

Slanted magnets eliminate cogging effect.

Please contact me for details on manufacturer and availability of parts

QTY 1, 3 kW, 242 pounds, 100-500 RPM, 100-400 VAC
Approximately 5 years old but has never been put into service.

QTY 2, 10 kW, 506 pounds, 100-350 RPM, 50-300 VAC
Due to overspeed and overheating, both have at least two phases that are shorted to ground.
The copper windings need to be replaced but the bearings and magnets are in good condition.

QTY 2, 10 kW, 506 pounds, 100-350 RPM, High voltage version – 100-400 VAC,
Qty 1 has phases shorted to ground.  Windings need to be replaced but bearings and magnets are in good condition.
Qty 1 has crashed from 120 feet up.  Bearings are operational but probably not in ideal condition.  Magnets and windings are probably in good condition.

Buyer pays freight.  Location is upstate New York.

Thanks for looking!  Please contact me with any questions.
Alex

admin

Re: Wind alternators for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
This posting (1st post on new account in classifieds) is authorized by the admin.
This is legit, and direct from Fortis Wind.
DAN F

luv2weld

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
I went to Fortis wind's website. They don't even list a dealer in the USA.

You're kind of asking us to buy a "pig in a poke"-------Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

At least give us a picture or 2 and some idea what you think the value is.

best offer but must exceed salvage value
   Don't mean a whole lot to me, maybe it does to others.
So what is a number you would be happy with????
You want to sell all 5 to one individual buyer???? With jobs and the economy the way it is right now?????
Maybe I'm just having a bad morning. I'm gonna go have another cup of coffee.
Sorry if I came across as too harsh.

Ralph

The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
Curiously, before "admin" vetted this post we required price up front, contact information, full descriptions and more than a single post for a user to sell.

All to save the "60 questions" we will have because the ad is so damned vague.

We have rules for a reason.

I guess when admin ignores the place for months then lays down the law in his only  post in months we have to abide by it.

Its just not fair to the next guy to allow this vague stuff in classifieds.

I will shut up now.

Tom

rossw

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
I guess when admin ignores the place for months then lays down the law in his only  post in months we have to abide by it.
Its just not fair to the next guy to allow this vague stuff in classifieds.

Yeah, how to alienate your users....  one rule for admin, another for everyone else.
Wonder how long before the "wall street" type response gets applied here.

artv

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »
Alex,...What kind of coin are we talking?..........I'm definately interested....best offer I have no Idea ,....what you would like is a good starting point?......let me know..........artv

AlexHagen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
Listing changed to FREE

Ok, fair enough.  I wasn't trying to be vague or evasive, but I just wanted to see if anyone was interested before documenting a bunch of dirty laundry for the world to read.  But since people are interested, here goes.

I was the Fortis dealer in the U.S. for 4 years.  We had several problems with the product and with the manufacturer, and we have decided to part company.  So I'm no longer listed as their dealer.

The problem with these turbines is they don't have proper overspeed control.  Therefore the alternators see voltage that is way too high, they overheat, insulation fails, and you get a short.  I've never pulled one apart, but I'm guessing you could pull it open, pull out the windings, lay up new windings (if you have experience with that sort of thing obviously), and be ready to roll.  As noted in the listing, the bearings and magnets on most of them are in great condition.

I have no use for them and I have no interest in trying to repair them - I've got enough other projects on my plate.  But I consider scrapping them to be a waste of an otherwise good alternator.  So if someone is a motivated DIY person and wants to tinker on a project and end up with a couple of good alternators, I thought it would be worthwhile.

I'm sorry to violate the terms of the group.  I'm not trying to be a hassle or take advantage of anyone.  If I scrap them at my local yard, they would give me $0.20 per pound (electric motor rate).  Therefore, I'd end up with around $320.

So, I'll give them away for nothing.  Arrange for shipping or come pick them up and you can have them.  Once you look them over and decide what to do, you can donate $320 to a local charity if you would like.

Any questions, please feel free to contact me directly and I'll help how I can.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Alex Hagen
Weaver Wind Energy
(Formerly Fortis Wind Energy - U.S.)
102 Cherry Street, Ithaca NY 14850
607-379-9463
ahagen@weaverwindenergy.com
www.weaverwindenergy.com

AlexHagen

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
4117-0

Various views of the 10 kW alternators. 

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
It kind of makes sense now.  I understand the caution when using the F word ("Free").
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Seth7

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »
Probably good for magnets .... too far to drive for me I think ...