Author Topic: Forgive me friends, 'cause i''ve sinned...  (Read 3617 times)

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Forgive me friends, 'cause i''ve sinned...
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
I've got 430W of solar and a 1060Ah battery bank.
Now that autumn are here, i haven't seen the sun in almost 3 weeks, and my windgen project was hit by a bad case of broken blades on the last teststand, only hours before going up in the air... :(

So; i got desperate....
... and bought an Air Breeze...

And i'm thrice blessed...  ::)
The first one already mentioned; second, i mounted it on a 3.5m mast, and third; there's trees 4m away to the south and west...  :-X
But - the prevailing winds here in the autumn and winter, are from east and north, and that's when i need additional power.

Mounted in an turbulent place, i soon discovered that the gyroscopic force from the rotor often turned the gen completely out of the wind; adding a bit on the tail improved that. That small, split tail are, according to the manufacturer, good on boats... But not on land with tubulence...

How it performs, only time will tell. Right now, with avg. 4-5m/s i see 2-3A into the bank.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:36:03 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Forgive me friends, 'cause i''ve sinned...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »
Sometimes sinning is good for what "Ale"s ya  ;D
OR a blessing in disguise?
Have fun too!!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
Now, that part 'being thrice blessed', should read 'being thrice cursed', i think... :D

Edit...
But fun?!
Certainly! ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:01:13 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
How much did you pay for the Air? They aren't cheap, but anything that could survive a salt water environment has to well designed.

GoVertical

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
Hi, what does m/s stand for?
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
Meters/Second Metrically reported wind speed

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »
I paid around $900, and that's cheap here in Norway... *-) The one i bought are the 'land' version; it does not have the powder coating that the marine version have...

Now, to partly repent for my sins, i'm going to extend the mast a bit, and chop down some of the trees...

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
I paid around $900, and that's cheap here in Norway... *-) The one i bought are the 'land' version; it does not have the powder coating that the marine version have...

Now, to partly repent for my sins, i'm going to extend the mast a bit, and chop down some of the trees...
AND as a final repentment you'll need to be offering up some Lutefish done the traditional way of course  ;D.
OR pics of the "AIR" once its up and flying.
Your choice. :P
Bruce S

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
Being a Norwegian, i really should like Lutefish - but eating fish that are dissolved in paint remover?! No thanks... ;D

But i'll be offering up some pics soon. :)

XXLRay

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 04:25:36 AM »
...and chop down some of the trees...
At least you have some material for your fireplace then :)

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »
...and chop down some of the trees...
At least you have some material for your fireplace then :)

Yes, for my new stove: ;D
http://www.dovrepeisen.no/dovre/vedovner.asp?Action=Visnyhet&NodeID=799&PlaID=0&ID=223

max 8kW, with secondary combustion.... I got the one with the extra top, which gives another 1kW...

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
$900!  That sounds like a lot, even in metric!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »
A man has to do what a man has to do...

Not all of us are capable of fabrication.

I bought my turbines or they were gifts.

Just from here.

Tom

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
Me three.

No sin in concentrating on the bits that you can do best.

(Which in my case mainly seem to be 'management', ie doing nothing, and solar PV, which fits right in with doing nothing.)

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
I might have gotten it cheaper if ordered from the US, but not much... Besides; better and faster support when bought locally. ;)

It's not that i'm not able to make one myself; in fact, i'm just as good making an windgen as breaking one... ;D

But i'm short on time when it comes to making new blades; that's the reason for my latest sin... :(
;D

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
MY condolences on your lose  :'(
MAY it rise once again renewed in a new realm of usefulness  ;D

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 08:11:23 AM »
Ok, i promised some pics...
They're not too good, and taken on a rainy day from afar with an 10x zoom lens...

The pics are taken due east from my top floor, so as you can see, there's plenty of obstacles west for the setup; trees, neighbours etc... ::)