Author Topic: e-bike  (Read 5582 times)

Beanbread

e-bike
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:40:01 PM »
I haven't made up my mind yet,but I'm thinking of either buying the Ezip e-bike from Wal Mart for 448.98 or a another bike and finding a front wheel motor kit for it.

On the Ezip anyone know if there is a way to extend the range or power?

On the other option anyone know of a fairly cheap kit like under 300 bucks?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: e-bike
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
That seems to be a nice bike :)
The SLA's are going to be the heaviest part, there will be two 12V to handle the 24Vdc.
Only way to extend distances would be to have more Ahrs available.
Couple ways to do that, add more batteries OR swap these out for two higher Ahr batteries.
My best guess will be they are 10Ahr batts. You could go the expensive way and buy them direct OR go to a battery reseller of your choice, (I use Batteries plus).

OR go different ways, such has buy Li-based battery packs, while expensive will cut down on weight and improve distances.
There is also the DIY way of re-purposing NiCd/NiMh as battery packs, but then your "fuel" gauge will not be accurate due to Ni-based unit having different discharge curves.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out.
Cheers;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Beanbread

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
Bruce, thanks for the reply.Looks like good advice.It will be awhile before I get enough money for the bike,trying to sell off some stuff first.lol In the meantime I'll keep experimenting with my solar projects.

I sure would like to see more posts on peoples experence with e-bikes on here.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
Got my E-Bike in an older post here:
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,130112.0.html

Still going strong... ;D

I'd seriously suggest an Lithium battery; LiFePo, LiMnPo or similar if you ever are going to really enjoy your e-bike....
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Beanbread

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
Simen,Thanks for the link.I must have missed it.Great posts.I noticed the link where you got your wheel kit only sell batterys.I was looking for a front wheel kit at about the price you paid for yours in case I didn't get the Ezip.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »
Oooohhh! :o

I'm so sorry! A 2 year old post, and i didn't ever notice the wrong address in my first post?! :D
The correct one are ofcourse www.goldenmotor.com. ;)

Lots there...
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Beanbread

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
Well I ordered the Ezip from Wal Mart today. I got it for 404.08.I get a 10 percent discount because my wife works there.:-)
I'll most likely do a battery mod in the future and some other mods I found on another site as well, after I get used to it.