Author Topic: Tom Ridge Windmill Down  (Read 4661 times)

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
Tom Ridge Windmill Down
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
I was watching the Erie, PA, local news last night (CBS), and they showed some video of the windmill at the Tom  Ridge Environmental Center... and the blades were missing, along with the main shaft too :o  How in the world does the main shaft come out of a Bergey 10kw?  The one side cover for the nacelle was missing too.  The tower and the tail were still fine...  They said the recent high winds broke it.

The Erie paper did not have an article on it yet, but maybe tomorrow.

The windmill on Presque Isle was reported to be just fine.

TomT

Re: Tom Ridge Windmill Down
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »
I just read about it.
The whole generator broke off and fell to the ground. The tail and rest are still up. I sure would like to know too how this happened in 40 mph wind.

taylorp035

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »
Thanks for the photos Tom.

Where did you read about it?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:04:49 PM »
OUCH! Mike is not gonna like that kind of PR.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »
I sure would like to know too how this happened in 40 mph wind.

Good question.  A few more:
How old is the turbine?  How long has it been on the tower?  When was it last serviced? 
Was the wind really 40 mph? 
Are there other local readings (such as an anemometer on that tower) to corroborate it, or show that the wind was stronger?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

taylorp035

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
The windmill was only ~4-5 years old.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
I had pics of it somewhere I took a year or 2 ago.
It didn't look like it was up very high compared to the surounding trees, etc.

Had plenty of stronger winds since it went up.  Surprized it failed when it did.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Royalwdg

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
I live 1 hour east of this turbine. Inland of course. I recorded nothing over 44 mph wind speed last weekend.  When you are on the tallest water slide at Waldamire amusement park, accross the road, you are about even with it.  60 Feet high , maybe.   Dave M

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
Images stolen from Google Maps

Dramatic effect (which is what the press releases show?)

Looks less impressive from another angle,

taylorp035

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
I worked at Waldameer Park for 4 years, and even though the slides are tall, the windmill is much higher up.  I was pretty sure the tower was 120 feet tall.... just look at the rotor diameter vs the height (~22ft).  The trees are monsters down there... many 3-5 ft in diameter and 100's of years old.

The Erie Times News hasn't had anything on it yet :(

I did though find one by the tv station:

http://www.erietvnews.com/story/15711951/windmill-damaged-in-weekend-winds

Mike Bergey

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »
We're on it and repairs will be made under warranty.  It appears that one of the blade pultrusions had a defect, lost stiffness over time, and eventually hit the tower and sheared off.  Winds don't have to be really high for that.  Running with very high imbalance can shear alternator bolts within hours if winds are strong enough.  Preliminiary reports are that the turbine has been making unusual noises for several months.  Neither the out-of-state dealer (state project - took lowest bid) or Bergey Windpower were contacted.  We could have caught this before the catestrophic failure.  Fortunately, North Coast Energy systems is nearby and willing to do the work.  Parts will be dispatched as soon as NCES gets permission to climb the tower and inspect the remaining structure.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Good on ya Mike, that's why Bergy is one of the most respected names in wind power.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

taylorp035

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe something like that would go on for months and no one was suspicious.

How did Mike Bergey learn about this?

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »
Preliminiary reports are that the turbine has been making unusual noises for several months.

That's not surprising if you got a limp blade that probably wasn't running at the same pitch or tracking as the other two for quite awhile.  What's interesting is that the turbine is evidently owned by a state-run facility.  Somebody should be responsible for the monitoring and operation of the machine.  And yet nobody took the initiative to even realize the machine had a problem, or if they did, report that it had a problem.

If that was a privately owned turbine it probably would've never happened since private owners are more likely to do something about it if it's making strange noises than government employees.
--
Chris

bj

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
   Sounds like it was very poorly handled by the owners.  All in all, the way Mike is handling things makes him a "stand up" guy.
Worth remembering. ;)
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »
All in all, the way Mike is handling things makes him a "stand up" guy.

Agreed.
G-

TomT

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
The picture I posted was from channel 35 news in Erie.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
How did Mike Bergey learn about this?

Fingers on the pulse.  It got him where he is today, with VERY HIGH credibility in the professional side of the small-wind industry.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »
I have to agree that Bergey has a stellar reputation in the small wind industry.

I tend to jump on what I think of as hucksters when they post here. In all fairness I should post positive responses for those that deserve it:

When it comes to small wind if I were looking for a commercial unit I would have no trouble going for a Bergey or recommending one.

I appreciate this level of commitment to a customer after the sale. Even after apparent neglect by said customer.

Credit where credit is due!

Thanks for the update, Mike.

Curiously, I think of "Toms Ridge" as my personal little windfarm on our ridge..

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
...Curiously, I think of "Toms Ridge" as my personal little windfarm on our ridge..
Tom

Then YOU can climb up that tower and fix it!   ;)   Pay a vist to Taylor and his team while you're there.
www.sparweb.ca