Author Topic: Electricity! But no generator/blade match..  (Read 2632 times)

dnBisschop

Electricity! But no generator/blade match..
« on: October 21, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Good evening!

I've got power! After a lot of work finally assembled my stator (9 coils 55 turns AWG #18) and rotors (12 magnets each 30x5mm round),
This setup gives me around 1 volt for 23 RPM, I'm not able to measure the amps because my meter can't read it..

This is nice, but, and here come's my question, it doesn't match with my complete turbine-idea. Today I also completed the blades, wich are the Lenz2's, and i started
thinking that those blades will never reach (15x23=) 345 RPM, or do they?

So I don't really know what to do, what can you guys recommend me to do? Put away those blades and make a new generator in the future (when the magnet prices drop?) and make new blades. Then I  think  I should make normal (hawt) blades with a fairly small diameter, wich diameter should i consider?
Or can i make some other changes to make it work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance..

Greetings, Bart (from the Netherlands)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Electricity! But no generator/blade match..
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
If you decide to go for a hawt then your alternator should nicely suit blades about 5ft ( 1.5m) diameter. Even if you copy Hugh's 4ft blade it will work fine but the extra diameter will help you as I suspect you are in a low wind area.

Flux

dnBisschop

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »

Yes that's true about the wind. Too bad for the wings, but also a good start for learning to work with metal and if i'm looking around it seems like it's a lot of fun carving those blades.
But still, can you explain why Ed Lenz also uses 55 turns in his coils for those blades? Because RPM/voltage is all about the turns right?

Thanks,
Bart

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
I know nothing about the Lenz vertical axis turbine, so I have no idea of the speed that it produces.

What I do seem to remember is that Ed bases his designs on some sector shaped neo magnets. His windings will be designed specifically for a given set of magnets and to suit the intended turbine.

You are using round disc magnets, I feel sure Ed doesn't use them, so the winding for your different magnets will be totally different. Copying a winding only works if you copy everything, it's the same copying the rest of a turbine construction details, if you change something then anything could happen.

If you want to try your vertical turbine then you could incorporate gearing to increase the speed of your alternator but I couldn't predict what sort of load match you would get.

Blade carving is not difficult and you should be able to make a nice set of blades for a small HAWT quite cheaply, there is no need for laminating and all the other things that are sometimes required for large turbines, even reasonably well selected pine  will be fine, especially for a first attempt.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Flux

jlt

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »
You could reduce the rpm by using a second rotor with out magnets.And get more amps.

I agree with Flux . A 5 or 6ft blade is very easy to build. If you make it with a 1x4 and use a 2 blade design. And it will spin very fast.

GoVertical

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
Hi, I recently added a belt drive and tested a VAWT using a 1:3 and a 1:7 ratio. The belt drive at 1:3 showed the best results, at 1:7 it just added additional load and reduced the output for the same size blades. There are limits. I also recently found out if you can determine the Cp of the blades than you can try and match a PMA to the blades without adding a transmission. I hope to see some photos of your project.
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX