Author Topic: Jack Hammer Compactor  (Read 17735 times)

Rattlesman

• POVERTY is the mother of invention, not nescessity
Jack Hammer Compactor
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »
Hi folks,
I was just wondering if anyone out there had ever pondered  using an electric jack hammer with a fabricated shoe/plate to do the compacting in the bottom of footing trenches? The reason I ask should be fairly obvious. I have the jack hammer  and a welder and mucho scrap metal but no compactor and will have a need for a compactor this spring after digging the trenches. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.
Rattlesman ;D

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Jack Hammer Compactor
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
rattle-
it would work just fine.  i'd just make the "foot" larger than expected, because a jackhammer will most likely produce more downward force than a compactor. 

there are more detailed responses to your 3-phase winding question up now as well!

adam

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »
Not sure if you even need to compact footing bottoms if they are cut to  undisturbed grade?

If they were over dug then refilled yes.

I am no engineer just built stuff since I was old enough to carry block for the old man when he did Saturday jobs long ago.

Not sure if the jackhammer to compactor idea will work but it sounds like something I might try. ;D

Best of luck.

Tom

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »
While you do not tell us about the trench for the footings I am with TomW with regard to not trying to compact undisturbed soil but we don't know what your soil type is. Your suggestion would be better than nothing but there is a difference between what you could achieve with a jack hammer and the vibrating of a compactor.

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

toothy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:41:13 AM »
If it's gravel or sand water works wonders.
Wade

florrieford

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »
twenty tyears ago I used a Hitachi 600w hammer to ram all the blocks for a whole house - put a taper on an old chisel and set it into a 200 x 75 x 50 mm cast iron block - worked well and I'm still living in the house. Have fun

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »
fix your tamper foot  so that it can swivel like with a 3 inch ball.
 If you have access to a lathe machine a piece of stock resemble that of a 3 Inch ball with a 2 1/2 inch shank then taper the inside to fit the chisel

here is an example
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:38 AM »
BY fixing it so it can swivel you wont have to be so perfectly vertical and is a whole lot easier on the old back and the equipment
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

petect

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
Once you get down to undesturbed soil that has no organic material or clay, no compaction is needed. The size of the footing will be determined by load it will carry, and the soil type..
Pete

petect

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
Not trying to hijack BUT could something like this be used to drive steel fence posts?
Pete

Frank S

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
Not trying to hijack BUT could something like this be used to drive steel fence posts?
Pete

Petect hammers of every kind have been used to drive fence posts from the little 25 lb rivet busters to the the 10,000 lb Hydraulic hammers mounted on backhoes. In the North Sea they are using the world's largest hammer to drive the huge windmill towers into the bottom of the ocean.
 So the answer to your question YES an adapter can be made to drive fence posts 

petect

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
Thanks Frank
I thought so, but it's nice to get confirmation before I reach for the wallet.
Pete

Frank S

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »
Thanks Frank
I thought so, but it's nice to get confirmation before I reach for the wallet.
Pete
If you are thinking about driving "T" posts in the ground depending on if you have sand stone or rocky ground the 73 LB electric works pretty good but kind of heavy and awkward to  handle up on a ladder working from the bead of a flat bed  truck or a pickup works pretty good but a pair of gin poles and a winch is safer if you have loam or just dirt a smaller unit may do the job for you 
 If you need to drive pipe posts then you will want to go to a larger unit or build a drop hammer

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
a 13A or 15A 120v bosch hammer drill does a surprisingly outstanding job at driving t-posts.  much lighter and easier.  if you're tall, you don't even need a ladder. 

just weld up a custom holder from an old broken bit with the shank still in good shape!

adam

petect

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »
Thanks guys!
I hope Rattlesman got the info he was looking for. Sorry if I cut in.
Pete