Author Topic: dump load testing 3 phase  (Read 12976 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: dump load testing 3 phase
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
Hey Bruce,

You are running your ECM up to 700 RPM shorted ?

Rover
Rover  mostly no. I ran in into a known BAD NiCd pack the showed (0) volts. The NiCd pack is built from 5 sub-C cells 1300mA.
Sorry forgot to add that  :-[
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 05:56:27 PM »
I'm not gonna do this Ross, you got the biggest one, you win, carry on.

It's not about *me*.

It's about people poo-hooing what other people have.
It's about people criticising whatever someone else seems to have, want to "make work", or re-use, and being told it's useless junk or that they've wasted thousands of dollars on unnecessary, expensive crap that someone else doesn't seem to think was needed in the first place.
It's about not always HAVING to do it the way you say.
It's also about reading what's there, not twisting it to say something it didn't. Like you twisting my words and saying that "big heavy DC switchgear" wasn't needed when I was specifically referring to high VOLTAGE DC switching vs switching the same VOLTAGE AC, and changing horses mid-stream from your original statement of needing a dumpload across the batteries, then when called on it changing completely to using an additional controller to switch high voltage AC from an additional inverter.... you may not see the relevance, but some do.

I'm not insulting you or calling you names, I'm trying (perhaps another futile attempt) to point out WHAT it is that causes the (real or perceived) friction.

Kurt, mods, admins, whoever - delete this if you consider it to be too mean, unfair, argumentative or just plain the wrong colour to match the decor.

Ross, I admit on this one I was in way over my head and I apologize for posting on something I misunderstood and after rereading the OP several times realize I had no business posting in this thread, my apologies to the OP and everybody else for the  unnecessary drama.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

rossw

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
Ross, I admit on this one I was in way over my head and I apologize for posting on something I misunderstood

That's cool, merry christmas and all that, lets move on.

rumleyfips

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
Bruce:

With one wire off I got very few rpm in a 7 mps wind. The voltage flickered 11-0-24-9 etc. As soon as the wire was replaced, the rotor spun up to speed at about the same wind speed and the voltage read 60+. It seemed more like braking to me. It bugs me when I can't figure something out but sometimes a mystery remains a mystery and I have to surrender.

Kitestrings:

Right on. I cheched the dryer element with a Killawatt and got 1350 watts. I'm looking for a second one  ( seems a slow season at the dump) to use on the DC side. I'll trigger either a 500 amp contactor or an IGBT .

Today, I had a chance to pull the controller out of the system and check everything. I have 3 relays and they all switch at 120 volts. the diversion LED lights but there is no voltage out to the dump wiring. Tracing the wires shows the same terminal fedding the ED and the shunt wiring.  There is continuity through the relay base like there should be but it still doesn't seem to shunt correctly. 

Apparently those who advise against relays ( you, ghurd) are right but I still want to get it working. Maybe it so simple I'm complicating things. Anyway I may  to end up with control on both AC and DC. We'll see.

John 

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  I have been busy.

There may be another explanation.
Faulty windings.
I had the same thing happen in a box fan motor conversion.  It acted fine, until loaded.  Meters said it was fine.  But it just would not work right.
(that's probably why someone threw it away?   :D)
Faulty windings can do some Really crazy stuff.

"Controller" with a mechanical device does not sound like a controller to me.
It sounds like a 'relay driver'.

"Clipping" with a mechanical device, connecting a load large enough to make much difference, sounds like shorting, or sounds like a bad idea.
Would maybe be OK with a BIG arse IGBT brick.  1600V 150A?  But not driven with a relay driver.

Bruce,
Maybe one of should mention your yard art ECM weighs... uh... "less than" 10 pounds?

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
Someplace here Electrondady (Roy) posted a neat photo of a big blue DC arc a good 18" long. Just a "ferinstance". He looked like some Norske god calling forth lightning.

maybe that was  electronbaby
i beleave he works in an order of magnitude greater than myself.
although i did get a shock off one of my mills last month.  :o

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
The picture of the DC arc produced by RE power is the last one in this post.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,138243.0.html
It's not a foot long but the fire from it is a foot tall.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Woofer;

Yeah, that is the one. I guess I misremembered the arc length and substituted the plasma stream for it. Its very dramatic either way.