Author Topic: Ametek Shaft Adapter Removal?  (Read 2741 times)

overflow

Ametek Shaft Adapter Removal?
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
Hi All,

I recently obtained a Ametek 50VDC motor off of eBay (one of the good ones - I think.)  Having a bit of an issue though; this particular motor has a shaft 1 3/8" long and 5/8" diameter, but has an adapter that makes it 2" in length and 1" diameter.  Does anyone know how on Earth this thing comes off?  I've tried everything.  Thanks in advance!

Picture of motor attached.

Jerry

Re: Ametek Shaft Adapter Removal?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
Hi All,

I recently obtained a Ametek 50VDC motor off of eBay (one of the good ones - I think.)  Having a bit of an issue though; this particular motor has a shaft 1 3/8" long and 5/8" diameter, but has an adapter that makes it 2" in length and 1" diameter.  Does anyone know how on Earth this thing comes off?  I've tried everything.  Thanks in advance!

Picture of motor attached.

I've had a couple with this type shaft adaptor. I belive there is a steel pin that goes through the adaptor and shaft that must br driven out. As I recall I had trouble doing this so I think I drilled it out. Check  carefuly first though befor doing this. If I had this now I would just use the 1" shaft. This may not suite your needs though.  Good luck

Jerry

bj

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
  If it has a good seal to the shaft, and I assume it has, I would be tempted to try hydraulics.  Tap the end of the adapter to
take a grease nipple,  fill the void with some kind of oil, insert grease nipple, and pump it up with a gun.
  Can't tell from the pic if the hole in the end of the adapter goes all the way to the shaft, if not, drill it out carefully first.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »
I think I'd leave it on there too.
Surplus 1" bore stuff suitable to mounting blades, etc, is cheaper (total cost if all the adaptors are included) and larger diameter (sprockets?).
You ever try to find a 8" dia sprocket with a 5/8" bore?  LOL

That is a nice one.
Don't do anything stupid to it.  No hammers, grinders, welders, cutting torches, or TNT.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

bcalmed

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
No hammers, grinders, welders, cutting torches, or TNT.

What, no TNT????

Party pooper... ;D

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »
I agree with others if possible leave it there, I seem to remember drilling one out also, however I suspect you will find the shaft is 9/16' on those not 5/8".

Any hard knocking/dropping  can dislodge one/both of the magnets, therefore drilling is a kinder method.

What are you intending to use it for?

Allan of the jungle with a crate full of TDM's, who actually never seriously used one
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Some with strange adapters may be stepped down to 1/2".
The ones with the tiny 1/4" or 5/16" encoder shaft out the back tend to have the strangest shaft on the front, I think.

The "long" Ameteks have 4 magnets.  Same size magnets as standard length.
Almost like 2 standard length Ameteks on the same shaft, if you know what I mean.
I have not opened up very many.  May be a zillion different versions.

with a crate full of TDM's
Retirement fund?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

coldspot

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
Humm-
"shaft is 9/16' on those not 5/8".

My 30 volt
has an 5/8" shaft

$0.02

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »
In case nobody else mentions it:

I had one that had a stepped shaft. It looked like an adaptor until I pulled it apart and it became obvious that it was a solid shaft of different sizes.

I think there are literally thousands of configurations of these things based on the basic design and I suspect many are one off production runs for a specific application. That shaft "adaptor" may be just a thicker end on the shaft?

Just one thing I have seen.

Tom

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »

I had one that had a stepped shaft. It looked like an adaptor until I pulled it apart and it became obvious that it was a solid shaft of different sizes.

I think there are literally thousands of configurations of these things based on the basic design and I suspect many are one off production runs for a specific application. That shaft "adaptor" may be just a thicker end on the shaft?

Tom

Heck....it could even be a screw on sleeve ?
Norm.

overflow

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »

Tom

I really wish I would have started this thread before I started fooling around with it.  I'm pretty positive (no pun intended) I have dislodged one of the magnets.  Also, I think you're right Tom - I don't think this thing is coming off - it might be a permanent addition.  I've tried drilling, tapping, everything.  The only reason I thought it was an adapter was because in the eBay description it said the "1 3/8" long and 5/8" diameter, but has an adapter that makes it 2" in length and 1" diameter. "   

So, hate to ask, but is it permanently (again - no pun intended) wrecked? I had plan on using it for a small wind turbine.  Nice motor too:

Nominal voltage 50 VDC 
No load amps 1.0
1800 RPM @ 50 VDC
Weight. 12 lbs.

Thanks for all the help.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
You can reglue the magnet in place usually.. If it drags when you turn it a magnet is likely off., Don't turn it with the loose magnet any more than enough to test if it rubs. Might break it.

Good luck with it.

Tom