Author Topic: Had some wind today, got good test #s.  (Read 2552 times)

Jerry

Had some wind today, got good test #s.
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
The weather man said we'de have 30 to 40 mph gusts. So far I've only seen 32 mph. But hey thats fine I'm not gready. Since I put the 14-11 up last fryday the wind has not gone over 12 mph. Today though we got some good wind.

I'm still doing a compairson with the stock all factory (accept for the tail & mount) Wind Blue. The next unit is a Wind Blue stator that is IRP with 6 wires down the tower and the early Wind Blue rotor with the regular steel shaft, the next unit has this same old style rotor but has a stock Delco 24 volt stator with 6 wires down the tower wired IRP with the dc output of the 3 bridges wire in sires.

Not sure how accurate the home built anemometer is but each unit is connected to the same load but each unit has its own and seperate amp meter. I had to add a heater coil load to the batteries. A few times the voltage accross the 4 golf cart batteries was rizing to 16v. The 20 amp load kept things under control. On several ocasions amperage was over 35a at 14.5 volts. 500 + watts. I was pleased to see 300 watts from the 14-11. Thats what I was hoping for. The 3 amp diodes are holding up well. Ofcource there only 44 of the in this unit.
here are a few pictures.Jerry

Jerry

Re: Had some wind today, got good test #s.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
A couple more notes. The mph was in order. 18, 20, 22,23 and the last picture was takin at 32 mph. The Harbor Freight meters have a 10 amp scale. However I'm using short 12 ga. test leads. These meters actuly read to 20 amps and then scales gose over or goofy after that.

For those who have had enough of this testing, well I'm done. I've just wanted to show the Wind Blue owners they can actuly get quite abit more power out of there wind generators with IRP and faster blades. My plans are to post some videos on u-tube. Gota learn how to do that first though, a freind is helping me with that in a few weeks.

Maybe those Wind Blue and simular owners will just build an axial  flux dual rotor machine since they work so much better. All but the stock Wind Blue in this test are using the same blade.

OK on to some real machines. I think I've got this small stuff out of my system? LOL

Jerry

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:47:10 AM »
Jerry;

I do not think it really matters if your anemometer is exactly calibrated as long as it reads the same at the same speeds, etc.

Especially when doing this one on one type comparison testing.

Just my opinion here.

If you suddenly start claiming 900 watts from a 2 foot prop in 11 MPH winds I may redact my opinion  :D ;D

Tom

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
Jerry;

I do not think it really matters if your anemometer is exactly calibrated as long as it reads the same at the same speeds, etc.

Especially when doing this one on one type comparison testing.

Just my opinion here.

If you suddenly start claiming 900 watts from a 2 foot prop in 11 MPH winds I may redact my opinion  :D ;D

Tom

Tom those #s sound like the claims the Delco car alternator wind generator manufactures use. It must be true cause it says so on there web sites LOL.

Jerry

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:00:24 AM »
Nice to see the 14/11 doing so well. good stuff Jerry

.............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »
Nice to see the 14/11 doing so well. good stuff Jerry

.............oztules

Yes  and I'm eager to build the NEO version. I will change a few things in that one though. For one thing no iron powder in the coil centers. I'll wind it for 48 volts. Use a 1" shaft and bearings in the yaw system.

I'm thinking of using a 7FT 5 blade, using my foam pipe blades. I allready have the blades ruff cut and the hub is built. I think this will get some critisizem. You know I can't go by the book. Need something to keep the discusion going. This project will be awhile off though. I've got a few projects ahead of this one.

I'll be trying these blades out on a 2KW motor conversion first.

Jerry

bj

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
Hi Jerry--from my experience, number of blades can sometimes ease a mismatch problem.  On my PMA's 3 blade was better on 24V,
but torque limited on 12V. 6 blade was better on 12V, but rpm limited on 24V.  5 blade seemed to be a decent compromise.  Didn't
try 2 or 4.

BTW you've got mail
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
Hi Jerry--from my experience, number of blades can sometimes ease a mismatch problem.  On my PMA's 3 blade was better on 24V,
but torque limited on 12V. 6 blade was better on 12V, but rpm limited on 24V.  5 blade seemed to be a decent compromise.  Didn't
try 2 or 4.

BTW you've got mail

Ya, I'm going with 5 blades for the tourque factor. Also I think this unit would be better suited to 8ft normal blades. However these foam pipe blades don't lend themselves well to 8ft. I think this type blade profile is fairly fast? So I'm thinking, get the speed of this profile at 7 ft and the tourque of 5 blades.

I think this alternator design will have good low rpm cutin, so hoping all will match up.

Got the e-mail thanks.

Jerry

jlt

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
I beleve you need to go with a 9 or 10 ft blade to load the neo  machine.  The other power design 7 ft only uses 12 mags and a single rotor.Y ourS should be alot more powerful.

Neo mags have 7 times the power of ceramic mags

Jerry

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
I beleve you need to go with a 9 or 10 ft blade to load the neo  machine.  The other power design 7 ft only uses 12 mags and a single rotor.Y ourS should be alot more powerful.

Neo mags have 7 times the power of ceramic mags

Your probobly right. Nice thing is I can try the 7 ft first. If its not up to the job I will reluctantly carve some wood. Last time I tryed that though it didn't turn out so good.

Jerry