Author Topic: Relay tied to the grid for easy high amp transfer  (Read 2371 times)

bluejay

Relay tied to the grid for easy high amp transfer
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
I was wondering what the most simple way to tie a 48 v turbine system to a oversize dump if the grid shuts down would be..There has to be some kind of solinoid type relay that could be plugged into a outlet 24/7 and would close or switch the path if the grid goes down. A oversized dump to "lock the brake".. I do not want to use a battery bank anymore and this xantrexe controller dont cap the voltages like I need if the grid ties turn off..

There has to be someway to acomplish what I need> HELP!!!!

rossw

Re: Relay tied to the grid for easy high amp transfer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
I was wondering what the most simple way to tie a 48 v turbine system to a oversize dump if the grid shuts down would be..There has to be some kind of solinoid type relay that could be plugged into a outlet 24/7 and would close or switch the path if the grid goes down. A oversized dump to "lock the brake".. I do not want to use a battery bank anymore and this xantrexe controller dont cap the voltages like I need if the grid ties turn off..

There has to be someway to acomplish what I need> HELP!!!!

A decent relay with normally-closed contacts and mains-voltage coil is all you really need. If the turbine isn't going hard when the mains fails, it won't need to handle a huge current.

If you were a little more cunning, multiple relays could be used to bring in increasing loads after short delays, ending up with a dead short.

Or, for an arguably better solution, a proper brake on the turbine, that requires power to disengage.

bluejay

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:10:08 AM »
can some one post links or a search term for the equipment I would need. I am running 2 effsuns 24v and push over 50 amps in high winds but need protection if the grid shuts down, I tried a small battery bank but the c40 xantrex controller gives a over current error and does not just snap all power into a oversized dump.

I am broke with just buying a 2kw setup and need to find cheap reliable ways to switch over all three(2 in parralel and the 2kw dc totally seperate..

I see some of these high watt (100amp solinoid relays are now being used to not have the main current in the controller). How could I use one of those to switch all power over to a dump or even just a true short(assuming this wouldnt burn up anything while the turbine comes to a halt)..I
I get very high winds at times and need instant high load if the grid is off as I am tired of soldering in new capacitors from overvolting on my bank of grid ties..

Yes I know that the higher end GT's have a autobrake that shuts down if the grid goes down but I do not have 2k to spend right now..

XXLRay

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:53:02 AM »
I think you search for something like the 22.24 relais by Finder. I just don't know whether the maximum current of exactly this model suits your demands.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:22:18 AM »
Ross pretty much gave you the solution.

A decent relay with normally-closed contacts and mains-voltage coil

You did not say what voltage your grid is "Mains voltage"?

Most of those who might help are not going to search out how your particular Chinese turbine and GTI system work. I poked around but they seem less than up front with any details.

See a problem here?

What you seek is likely trivial but you will need to know a lot more on how that thing works then tell us so we can offer solutions.

So the bottom line here is you need to get some details posted and then a solution can be found to suit this particular system.

For instance in my 3 phase battery charging system I would just buy a 3 phase normally closed contacts relay with an activation coil for my grid voltage which is 120 VAC and connect my 3 AC leads from the turbine to three connections on the relay input contacts, jumper all 3 together on the output. When powered by the grid the contacts are open and things work normally. If grid goes away it shorts the 3 leads from the turbine and stops it. When grid returns the short is removed and it runs normally.. On my system. Relay ratings also depend on the system details.

How yours works I could not easily find so theres the rub.

Tom

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
This little doohickey is the best thing since sliced bread, it'll drive relay coils up to 750ma, or you can use it to drive a pilot relay for a big relay, it'll make relays do just pretty much anything, it is programmed through the provided software, they have four channels so you could set up progressively larger dump loads or even a brake actuator.
They'll run mechanical relays or SSRs, I have one set up as a dump controller, it works great.
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/relay-driver
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »
I was wondering what the most simple way to tie a 48 v turbine system to a oversize dump if the grid shuts down would be..There has to be some kind of solinoid type relay that could be plugged into a outlet 24/7 and would close or switch the path if the grid goes down

I'd use a 2 or 4  pole 65 amp contactor with NC contacts in it like this one:
http://www.elecdirect.com/product/d050f140-9a41-4bfd-9f77-713fc9e44430.aspx

With 120 volt power to the coil the contactor is held open.  Loss of main power will close the NC contacts, short the turbine's stator and shut it down.

Or alternatively, use the NO contacts to connect the turbine to the GTI.  Then when power fails, the NO contacts go open and the NC contacts go closed, allowing you to divert the turbine's output to a alternative load of some sort.

If 65 amps isn't big enough use two of them in parallel.  SquareD makes contactors like this up to 1,500 amps but they're not cheap for a NEMA Type III contactor once you get up to 100 amps.
--
Chris