Author Topic: lightning strike  (Read 3347 times)

getterdone

• living off grid
lightning strike
« on: November 22, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
well I've been flying my 10'er for about 4 years.
it took a direct hit last night.
the adjuster is supposted to come out and access the damage.
i think its covered.
if it is I'm just going to order a new one from forcefield.
has any one done this?
will i have to get a quote delivered from forcefield ?
and i will have to install it myself, what would be a fare price?

I'm off the grid an need the extra power that it makes.
winter time is when i get the most from wind.,summer not so much.

thanks in advance for the replies   john
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:04:13 PM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: lighting strike
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
I had a Long-Wire experiment hooked up to my system along with the Solar Panels.
Was supposed to gather static power when thunder storms roared through, and it worked about enough to light LEDs but that's all. But I left it hooked up anyway. Well a powerful lightning storm came through with many Strong Close Hits. Ended up blowing 2 Ghurd Controllers and an 8D battery.
My system is still recovering from that.

I had a couple of posts regarding the specifics of Long-Wire generation, but they appear to have been lost in the transition to the new forum software.

rossw

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
I had a Long-Wire experiment hooked up to my system along with the Solar Panels.
Was supposed to gather static power when thunder storms roared through, and it worked about enough to light LEDs but that's all. But I left it hooked up anyway. Well a powerful lightning storm came through with many Strong Close Hits. Ended up blowing 2 Ghurd Controllers and an 8D battery.

Many years ago, I had my CRO connected across a modest dipole I used for the 3.5MHz ham band, and was very surprised to see spikes (from memory) of in excess of 30 volts from lightning that was over 15 miles away.

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »

I had a couple of posts regarding the specifics of Long-Wire generation, but they appear to have been lost in the transition to the new forum software.

i really wasn't trying to charge my batt. bank with lighting strikes.
although if your bank was big enough.......................

bob golding

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »

i had an accidental long wire experiment. about 20 metres of cable from the turbine to the coach. a very close lightning strike took out the recifiers and the inverter. i always disconnect the inverter and the controller now if it looks like any serious lightning is due. i check the local lightning map.  i know if i get a direct hit it would not stop it causing damage but it might help if i get a close strike. think the idea is to keep the top of the tower at the same potential as the ground, but achieving that is a bit of a black art. i a using screen armoured cable from the tower so suppose i could ground one end of that.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
There are A/C  and DC lightning protection devices that will help limit the damage to inside equipment during a strike. Outside stuff is still going to be toast though.

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:52:02 AM »
There are A/C  and DC lightning protection devices that will help limit the damage to inside equipment during a strike. Outside stuff is still going to be toast though.

i have an arrester on the inside, and nothing that i could see was damaged.
the insurance adjuster said the wind generator should be covered, that was good news.
i'm paying for extra coverage for this sort of thing.
i cant rebuild it myself this time, so the adjuster said to get a quote on how much a new one would cost.
mine was a 24v 10' hugh piggot type.
i have emailed a quote from forcefield.
hope to get the quote soon so i can get a new one flying again.
being off grid it is important that i get it back charging again.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
I would imagine you don't need a whole new machine, but you don't have to tell the insurance adjuster that. I think you have a burned out stator at best and need a stator and rotors at worst.  Pretty easy to bolt one of these together. Good luck with getting the thing replaced in a hurry. I believe things are built as they are ordered and patience is the key.
Less bark, more wag.

getterdone

• living off grid
Re: lightning strike
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
i looked and i think they had 2 in stock.
dan f ,has already replied and dan b is suppost to get with me soon and determine exactly what i need.

hysteresis

• Ether Acceleration
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:21:29 AM »
Keep separate ground rods out and away from the units and disconnect and ground those long inbound wires collecting energy.

RE - Woof - I used to have Short wave antennas that would collect enough power to keep neon bulbs connecting them to ground as spark gaps lit up day and night for days. Those bulbs fire at 90 volts.. AND that was after storms passed. When lightning strikes within 1000 feet, it will induce 15KV per foot of wire that's not grounded. That can get lethal quick.  That was done back when the receivers were Tubes and no solid state which frys instantly. I kept a 2 MFD cap between the antenna and receivers which isolated the AC pulses DC that was collecting on the wires, and when voltage exceeded 90V the bulb would either flash or remain on..

There's an old experiment from over a century ago where you would take a coat hanger and bend it into the letter C with a one inch gap and hang it from a dry thread on your porch, and when lightning struck real close it would jump the gap, which amounts to about 15KV... With that in mind, just think of the energy which is collecting in the wires of the system coming in. Grounding those inbound wires to ground rods outside the buildings is the best way to keep it from getting into the inverters.

Also, taking the incoming wires and winding them into a 9 turn air coils around an oatmeal container (and removing the container), will create an arc-over isolation coil on each incoming wire. I have it like that on the 220 lines that feed the submersible well from the utility pole down into the well hole, as well as similar turns about 15 feet up from the submersible pump wrapped around the water line which is under the water inside the casing over 50 feet into the earth. Copper wire is a lot less costly than the pump. IT's a simple way to prevent current from jumping into the pump. It will arc into the well casing first where the steel cable holding the pump is connected. If that happens down there, you have to pull up the pump and replace or patch the wiring and not the pump.

Dissipating the jolt and surge into the ground is essential. Put 10 UF capacitors on the outside of the isolation coils and connect them to the ground rods on the wires that feed your system. That will pass the HF induced standing waves and voltages which occur from lightning discharges that are within several miles. These amount to pulses that have RMS voltages of several hundred, and peaks of several KV up to 5 and 10 or more when the proximity is under a mile, depending on the severity.

If a severe positive return stroke, or multi step return with high current hits it will travel through everything and melt it down. A billion volts with a thousand amps will only dissipate into the empire state building without frying anything. Research in the 1930's documented this and published it in books with camera images and scope measurements.

There was a fellow in Middle Tennessee on a high road approaching Red Boiling Springs who had lightning take out a tree and bore a trench for hundreds of feet and then melt an iron fence right off the ground for another hundred feet and then enter the underground wiring in the wells and house and fry the entire breaker box. Another guy lived at the bottom of a hill 600 feet up who had a TV antenna up there, which when hit like this the lightning came down the cable which was buried into the ground 400 feet behind his house at the bottom of the hill, where it then followed the cable and went right into his A frame house from one end to the other putting the TV and every appliance in the house on fire while he was sitting on his couch. Lucky he was there to snuff it out. All were toasted.

This severe circumstance is not a really common thing, but there are lots of people who have a story about being hit with discharges in various parts of the country at their places.

The incidence of lightning hitting out in the open around towns and populated areas is lessened today as a result of the multitudes of cell towers that stand across the land as a network of needlepoints. (the influence and effect of this man made grid on the phenomena itself on an overall basis is not documented in it's own right).

======hys======

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Tower lightning grounding should be more than a single ground rod also. If using 8 foot rods you should space more 16 feet out from the tower in a cross fashion and bond them all together with as heavy of wire as you can afford. My ham tower had 9 ground rods and survived a direct hit with little damage because the ground system was able to dissipate the strike. No inside damage but I have lightning protection at my cable entrance panel and I also disconnect and power everything down.

Don't forget snow or sand static either, it can build into hundreds of volts. I have watched antenna connectors arc over after disconnecting.