Author Topic: voltage regulator  (Read 3011 times)

smde

voltage regulator
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
I am trying to come up with an inexpensive voltage regulator.
I have an AC generator that can generate 120 V AC but , it can be sporadic at times and have power spikes and dips ... Noisy power , etc.....
Does anyone know of a really good way to condition the AC power inexpensively .

I was thinking that I might try using a really cheap 12 V battery charger connected to the noisy AC - which would result in 12V DC - simple enough and it would work for now - I guess - but I am assuming that the lifetime of the battery chargfer would be limited. 
Inexpensive is very important.
Thanks for any help.

OperaHouse

Re: voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
I'm trying to imagine a problem here but I can't.  Most things can deal with that.  Could you be specific about one item.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
tried a batt charger on my little ac motor conversion--hooked to a pedgen--seemed to work out okay.
you might try some ac  caps on the ac side--to even out the currant-going into the batt charger...
WILD in ALASKA

smde

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:54:14 PM »
I am hoping to get very stable (or as much as possible) DC power to an inverter - in my design I am bypassing batteries altogether and connecting to a grid tied inverter.

So if I am not rushing to conclusion - then - my original idea to use a battery cahrger should work fine as well -

I will definitiely research AC capacitors (I didn't even realize that they existed  - thanks for the AC cap tip )

Thank for responding :)

equiluxe

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »
Be very careful when using high voltage capacitors they can kill you some time after the power is switched of. Also to big a capacitor will cause the voltage to rise. If the generator is a small one they are often fairly crudely governed on the drive engine which can lead to instability,I have found that often enough a light bulb connected as load permanently will damp the generator sufficiently to enable sensitive loads like computers or TV's etc to work happily.     

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »
in my design I am bypassing batteries altogether and connecting to a grid tied inverter.

The GTI manual should have a lot more relevent info.

Got a link to the manual?

I have a feeling you are not comparing apples to orages,
but you are interchanging them.
They are not the same.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

equiluxe

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
What is the power source for you 120 volt AC alternator. If it is engine driven why would you want to tie it to grid also why use an inverter to do so as it is possible to sync alternators to the grid directly.

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »
i would check with the inverter manufacture about your scheme in using capacitors on the input side without the use of a buffering battery.

many inverters don't like cap's on the input side.

this however should not be a concern on the AC side of things, just wanted to mention the DC consideration.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member