Author Topic: Stator construction idea  (Read 2996 times)

TDC

Stator construction idea
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »
Here is my idea for a new type of stator construction. Rather than cast the coils in a slab of anything that will reduce heat transfer,  the coils would be individually saturated/potted with high temperature thermally conductive epoxy. The centers would be open for cooling. The coils would then be bonded together at the edges with the same epoxy.  After that the coils are bonded into a plywood frame.   This should make a stator with better cooling and strength that can withstand higher temperatures.

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Stator construction idea
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »
i make the cutouts in the plywood- then epoxy around the hole- then press in the compressed coils.. cover face of coils with more epoxy..
so far theve work out...no failures as of yet... 
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
holes were not cleaned up in that photo...some epoxy covered up the holes some what when i compressed the stator....
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:40:58 AM »
2012 mill....
WILD in ALASKA

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
Hi TDC,

It's not really a cooling issue, not exactly - it's the softening of the epoxy at the bonds to the copper coils.  If your plan ends up reducing the "wetted" area in the bond, then it won't make anything stronger.  Open holes through the coils has been tried many times, and it appears to help.  I'd do it by putting a soft filler into the hole while putting the coils into the mould, and cutting it out when done.

The best thing to do is to not use epoxy resin at all.  I believe the resin of choice is polyvinyl ester, which is more heat resistant.  And more expensive, but not massively so.  Since many people have to buy a full gallon jug of epoxy just to have enough to cast the stator, the rest is wasted - meaning that the PVE may not actually cost you more, depending on what quantity is available in your area.

Some people put aluminum powder in their mix of resin, arguing that the aluminum particles conduct heat, too.  I'm not so sure, but maybe somebody's tested that and knows for sure.

Wood is very bad at heat conduction.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:30:56 PM »
at the end of the day if we can keep efficiency up above 60% at max sustained output it's not usually an issue.  Burnouts are avoided by furling nicely (or some other protection) and keeping the current under control.  Casting coils in resin makes for a really nice mechanical solution that holds up pretty well even to dismal efficiency IMO.
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »
Unless you are using one of the very expensive high strength potting epoxies designed to remove heat from transformers I don't see a lot of benefit. I priced those potting epoxies... you do not want to buy enough to pot an entire stator.