Author Topic: Some advise about a new build please  (Read 2323 times)

radmanmike

• Mike's Radiator
Some advise about a new build please
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
Hi all, I am about to start a construct of a new turbine The rotors will be 10 inch and the stater will be around 11 inches. I need some input on wire size, so it looks like I can use 18 magnets or can it be less than that and still make some power? With 18 magnets, how many coils should I make and how many turns would be best? I seen some 2x1/2 x 1/4 that seemed to fit the field and were not to hard on the wallet. Would these work?  I live in the Rogue Valley and my place is in a fairly protected area. Most of the year we have afternoon breezes around 6 to 10 mph. If I can find them on this computer, I will post a couple shots of the blades and the bird flying, but with a crappy motor. The sweep of the blades is five feet.

The goal here is see if I can keep this shop juiced up.

Jerry

Re: Some advise about a new build please
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Hi all, I am about to start a construct of a new turbine The rotors will be 10 inch and the stater will be around 11 inches. I need some input on wire size, so it looks like I can use 18 magnets or can it be less than that and still make some power? With 18 magnets, how many coils should I make and how many turns would be best? I seen some 2x1/2 x 1/4 that seemed to fit the field and were not to hard on the wallet. Would these work?  I live in the Rogue Valley and my place is in a fairly protected area. Most of the year we have afternoon breezes around 6 to 10 mph. If I can find them on this computer, I will post a couple shots of the blades and the bird flying, but with a crappy motor. The sweep of the blades is five feet.

The goal here is see if I can keep this shop juiced up.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

If your talking about the Rogue River Valley near Medford Oregon I know were you are. If so your right, low wind will be a problem there. Been there many times, on the way to Medford.

I think you will have a problem with the blades in the picture. My experience with blades of that type has been very disappointing. If you do get around to building your proposed wind generator also look into building some better blades. I think if you use those blades you'll be very unhappy.

You might even try building some good blades to see how much better your existing machine can work.  Just sayin.

Jerry

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
Those blades are not good.
It will not be a good test of the rest of the system.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »
Use your 18 magnets and go with a 9 mag 12 coil cofiguration .the blades are drag blades .little torque and probably noisey you can use the blades as a core or cut them down to support PVC blades .

jlt

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:57:30 AM »
Hugh piggot has a 6ft design that uses 8mags 2x1x1/2  on one rotor and a second blank rotor.

It looks to be pretty simple to build.

You can download the plans to your computer from kindle. It only costs 5 bucks.

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »
Hugh piggot has a 6ft design that uses 8mags 2x1x1/2  on one rotor and a second blank rotor.

It looks to be pretty simple to build.

You can download the plans to your computer from kindle. It only costs 5 bucks.

I've built the single rotor 4ft version of this unit. Its a great littel preformer. jlt has made a very good suggestion here.

Jerry

radmanmike

• Mike's Radiator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I will find the plans. I have read allot about all the different builds out there but having a proven plan in my hand can't hurt. I do value all the input about the blades. I am a little surprised that they got a thumbs down. I put the unit up with a useless motor, more to check out the balance and how the tail would perform and it really seemed to me that the blades worked well. But I will be back to building others along the way. Here is a link that shows the unit running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKPYHkI1w8E&feature=share

Thanks for all the help, Mike

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
The way you have those blades connected to the hub is a failure waiting to happen, that line will work harden from the blades flexing and break just like bending any piece of metal back and forth, and it won't take long.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
An oldie but goodie.
AdamL's treadmill motor turbine, 1st post to functional,
http://www.fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,140404.html
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller