Author Topic: Newbie making a treadmill windmill with questions  (Read 23398 times)

boogerbr549

Re: Newbie making a treadmill windmill with questions
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
well check out my photos in the photo section. I have four turbines made with 120volt 21amp dc motors with 6 20inch blades wired in series. at 12.5 volts I get 8.25 amps =103.13 watts at 22volts I get 14 amps= 308 watts. the 12.5 volts was in 10-12 mph wind the 22volts was in 20mph wind. this is not a guess I have a windy nation meter inline. before I got the GTI I was chargeing a 12volt battery bank and they done well. ok after doing more reading I c u say dont grid tie, need to charge batterys. so that means its time to run wireing and put some 12volt lights  in the house.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:38:11 PM by boogerbr549 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
So, does it take all four mills to get 103 watts ? that's about 25 watts each at 12.5 Vdc? not really high enough to charge a battery bank like what he's doing.
Plus I'm pretty sure he's trying to stay legal so no GTI nonsense for him at this point.
Also remember in parts of his early posts he stated he is NOT in a high or medium wind area.
So 10-12 and 20mph isn't where he's going to be at.

The alt PMA he's ordered will be able to do 100 watts with just one unit at 20mph.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

boogerbr549

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
So, does it take all four mills to get 103 watts ? that's about 25 watts each at 12.5 Vdc? not really high enough to charge a battery bank like what he's doing.
Plus I'm pretty sure he's trying to stay legal so no GTI nonsense for him at this point.
Also remember in parts of his early posts he stated he is NOT in a high or medium wind area.

The alt PMA he's ordered will be able to do 100 watts with just one unit at 20mph.
the 10-12 mph is everyday wind , but alot if the time 18-30 sustained, and yes thier wired in series thats why I am useing four to b able to get enough power to do something with. they were free I had all most all the stuff to do it all. I am retired due to  disabilies and need something to do with my time. I am haveing fun, people I dont even know stop and taked  pictures .

boogerbr549

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
I have better photos but when I try to upload it says file to big.

boogerbr549

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

boogerbr549

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

well at 20mph wind mine puts out twice that of his PMA and I did'nt pay anything for my motors..but enough said about the matter. Ill just keep watching (what u said) my peice of crap put out power.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
BUT his will be legal  8).
Yep what I said.

boogerbr549

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
BUT his will be legal  8).
Yep what I said.

well like I said the meter reader looked at it and said it has Island protection and it is good.
if mine is illagal then so is gas power generators for they r more likely to kill a line worker then my crap. u know I did what ur FAQs said go build something and tell us if it worked or even if it dont! thats what I did. I had fun learning how and then doing it and it works.but I come here to learn and to b schooled but all Ive got from this site is beat down,ie. CRAP,UR GOING TO KILL A LINE WORKER, UR ILLEGAL,U MIGHT LIGHT A LED LIGHT. when in fact those four turbines put out more than alot others Ive seen on the net. so it takes four, go ahead and spend $500 and more for a motor. u really know how to kill the ecitment I had for this hobby. I think u need to take a PR class.
remember at the end of the day ur just a person just like EVERYONE ELSE NO BETTER NO WORSE. I bid u all a farewell, I dont need this CRAP.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:50:04 PM by boogerbr549 »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:42 AM »

Giving those NON-UL approved devices air space is NOT what I'm going to do.
Your 4 turbines is not I'm worried about, good on you for getting them to work,
it was the statements you made without any decent information.
Information is key, pictures are great, but information is still very important.

Good bye;

BTW: Gas power generators that are hooked to people homes that run off NG or LPG ARE approved and have several safety devices already built in. GO have a look,
Come back when you're over yourself

boogerbr549

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »
well I just had the power company to come and check my equipment they just left and he said that everything was good!! generators may be aproved but if u do not turn ur main off u will back feed the grid and kill a line worker. over my self? ur  the one  that needs to get over his self!!!! u said that I was wrong without giveing me any info on why I was wrong. I feel good about myself every day. maybe u need to get more selfsteam about ur self or maybe u like belittleing people.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:06:07 AM by boogerbr549 »

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »
i think what bruce is getting at, is there is a reason that UL listed grid tie inverters are the only legal way to grid tie. 

these cheap chinese GTIs are very unreliable.  it may work well for a week, or even a year.  then they let the magic smoke out.  many times without any warning, even when nothing has been changed.  your cheap GTI does appear to have protection against backfeeding the grid, but whose to say that that portion of the unit cold fail just minutes before a power outage.  and all a sudden, the "islanding" feature doesn't work anymore.  lets say this happens while your at the grocery store, and it does hurt/injure a lineman??  the power company is NOT going to be happy with you and lawsuits may begin flowing. 

call up the city and ask for an electrical inspector to come out.  somehow, i doubt they will sign off on the set-up you have. 

there's a reason that SAFE UL listed GT inverters cost more than a few hundred buck off ebay. 

what your doing and the products you chose to use just plain aren't safe. 

just my opinions on the situation.  you can take them or leave them. 

adam

boogerbr549

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
i think what bruce is getting at, is there is a reason that UL listed grid tie inverters are the only legal way to grid tie. 

these cheap chinese GTIs are very unreliable.  it may work well for a week, or even a year.  then they let the magic smoke out.  many times without any warning, even when nothing has been changed.  your cheap GTI does appear to have protection against backfeeding the grid, but whose to say that that portion of the unit cold fail just minutes before a power outage.  and all a sudden, the "islanding" feature doesn't work anymore.  lets say this happens while your at the grocery store, and it does hurt/injure a lineman??  the power company is NOT going to be happy with you and lawsuits may begin flowing. 

call up the city and ask for an electrical inspector to come out.  somehow, i doubt they will sign off on the set-up you have. 

there's a reason that SAFE UL listed GT inverters cost more than a few hundred buck off ebay. 

what your doing and the products you chose to use just plain aren't safe. 

just my opinions on the situation.  you can take them or leave them. 

adam
I understand what ur saying, so even through the power company man says it good I should change it? I dont want to hurt anyone, but Ive got this site telling me its not safe and the powercompany telling me its good. hey I can take alot but I been here a couple days to learn and what Ive got is ur stuff is CRAP, AND WHAT UR SAYING IS WRONG, ur stuff will b lucky to lite an led. when all this time Im watching my wind meter,watching my inline meter and my WANF meter and Im cing good power out of those four motors for what they r. the FAQs says dont tall about what u dont know. has bruce ever had four or these motors with my set up on his roof watching to c what u get? I dont think so! but I will look at a better GTI. no disrespect to anyone. but I also what to b respected.

REdiculous

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
You should gear them.

It seems a little silly to use 4 treadmill motors to make 100 watts when one of those treadmill motors can make 1000 watts.

Spin 'em faster. ;)
☣☠☢

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
boogerbr549-
i'm glad you can see the light on the topic of cheap chinese GT inverters. 

i never said anything bad about your four treadmill turbines.  in fact, i think they're great!  you really are DOING IT!  and on the cheap.  it's also very reputable to be re-using treadmill motors that might have otherwise ended up in the dump! 

one thing that i think you could do to increase performance of your mills would be to carve wooden blades for them.  i'd be willing to bet the performance would be increased greatly!  maybe try a three blade set up slightly larger that the diameter you're using now.  pvc blades don't really have an airfoil, so are pretty much drag based.  wooden carved blades could produce lift from their airfoil, and increase RPM, and power production quite a bit! 

oztules figured out a way to rough out blades with a chainsaw and a jig.  might be worth looking into since it's very easy to repeat, once the jig is made and you would potentially be carving blades for four turbines. 

i'm not trying to say your turbines are junk, or anything of the sort, but rather they could very well produce much more power with different blades. 

then you might be forced to replace your GTI because the magic smoke might get out due to over amperage...   ;)

best of luck!  and although belated, welcome to the forum!

adam

boogerbr549

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
You should gear them.

It seems a little silly to use 4 treadmill motors to make 100 watts when one of those treadmill motors can make 1000 watts.

Spin 'em faster. ;)

c now thats what im talken bout.  ok heres what i tryed, I use a 12" v belt pully bolted the blades to it and put a 2" pully on the motor. I tryed 35" blades but seemed to hard to turn. what would b the best way to gear up? thank ya.

boogerbr549

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »
no worrys birdhouse alls good. I like the wood blade idea. my brother called and said he crashed his model plane and I can have the blades. I think those r fiberglass, not sure of length but he they should work I know its a big plane Ill have to take look.

boogerbr549

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
must be one of those rocket siencetist ?  never mind..........................

boogerbr549

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »
I got the answer on a site where they treat you like a human being, and it didnt take weeks to get it.  [site that isn't up when I checked and is commercial: DamonHD]  is the place to get answers. and the best products................................. great folks over there. ;) ;D

[Please don't drop commercial links here, even if you think we're useless when we're trying to save you some trouble: DamonHD]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:59:01 AM by DamonHD »

boogerbr549

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
the site is up...  and what kind of trouble r u trying to save me??? so far my stuff is working great and putting out good power!!!!! :-)

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
we all know your turbines put out power, and that's great!

many here are all about pinching every last watt out of a turbine that is possible, while also making our builds redundantly strong for safety reasons. 

an example of trying to save you some trouble:
one thing that i think you could do to increase performance of your mills would be to carve wooden blades for them.

using blades built specifically for pulling watts from the wind would be a huge upgrade from the PVC you're using now. 

now your talking of using old airplane wings for blades...  they may work, though i doubt they'll work well.  just trying to save you the hassle.  though you may enjoy tinkering with things that probably won't work, and if that's the case, more *power* to ya!   ;D

adam

boogerbr549

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
I said nothing about useing the wings. IM talking about the prop, but there were only two blades so I didnt try them. I did get my first month electric bill since they have been tied in. saved me $39 and aprils wind was'nt the best. we normally use around 1230 KWH the last month we use 878 KWH. might not b big saveings for some but for me thats a tank of gas each month.   ;D

boogerbr549

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:29 AM »
birdhouse r u the official spokes person for this site? just wondering cause when i direct a ? to people that makes statements like bruce & hamonhd they never reply with an answer. bruceie and hamonhd u can shove this site up each others ASS.....go to a good site and try to learn something.........if ur IQ is high enough,I dout it is, unlike mine at 136....................

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
birdhouse r u the official spokes person for this site? just wondering cause when i direct a ? to people that makes statements like bruce & hamonhd they never reply with an answer. bruceie and hamonhd u can shove this site up each others ASS.....go to a good site and try to learn something.........if ur IQ is high enough,I dout it is, unlike mine at 136....................
Actually, mine was last measured at 143, now of course that was while I was still going through being retrained into a new line of work after getting hurt while serving our country, so it may have been skewed a bit by The University of Maryland , and Washington University here in Missouri.
BUT as most can tell; IQ doesn't make a person smart or knowledgeable, it is only a measure of you've ability to remember what you've been taught, and I was lucky to be around teachers who enjoyed teaching and seeing students learn.
I stayed back so others could chime in and chat with you, plus I was away paying my last respects to a fellow board member, who was an 18 hour trip away, and I don't email and drive.
Since the other sites seems the suit you better than this one then you won't mind me looking your login tomorrow? I'll leave it unlocked today so you can reply if you like.
Congrats on lowering your bill  ;D.
BTW, just in case you do happen to try the prop, you'll find that you'll need to mount them backwards, as they are built backwards from normal windmill blades.
A prop would've have been okay mounted correctly; since their balanced 100x times better than most home-built blades.
Cheers;
Bruce S
PS> It's BRUCE, bruceie, is a famous DJ in southern Missouri who makes tons more money than I do  ;)
PSPS>> making fun of me or DamonHD is one thing,but going after a fellow member who has been trying to be nice and help, is not something you want to do.
It will only getting even more people to ask us to lock your account.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:39:00 PM by Bruce S »