Author Topic: After market AirX 403 blades  (Read 896 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
After market AirX 403 blades
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »
Does anyone here have a recommendation good or bad on the 5' carbon fibre blades sold by this guy on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-X-60-SUPER-FAST-TURNING-Wind-turbine-generator-blades-AirX403-W-SHub-/250952952330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6df62a0a

I have a 403 and would like to get a little more power from it. Wouldn't 5' blades put out more than 3' stock?

The after market blades are a lot thinner. Does that affect low wind output?

Jerry

Re: After market AirX 403 blades
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Those blades are a direct copy of the original 403 blades. Thermodyne or Hydrogen Appliance uses them on there Hornet. I owned a Hornet. It took 13 MPH for cutin. 5 of these blades will startup sooner but they are so thin and skinny you won't see any power at low wind speeds. They might start to turn at 8-9 mph. They do make a bunch of power at 20 to 30 mph for there size but by then they will be screaming like a banshee.

That's why I developed my blades.

Jerry

Rover

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
Those blades are a direct copy of the original 403 blades. Thermodyne or Hydrogen Appliance uses them on there Hornet. I owned a Hornet. It took 13 MPH for cutin. 5 of these blades will startup sooner but they are so thin and skinny you won't see any power at low wind speeds. They might start to turn at 8-9 mph. They do make a bunch of power at 20 to 30 mph for there size but by then they will be screaming like a banshee.

That's why I developed my blades.

Jerry

Agreeing with Jerry. Over the years I have used them, some I've cut back to 26" per blade, sometimes  running 6 sometimes ruining 3. I've had varying results depending on the alt. On my AirX/403 the cut back ones seemed to perform better than the stock 22" blades . I don't have a set of Jerry's blades to compare to, but depending on the turbine, these still aren't my favorite choice. The are usefull for small a high cut-in  mill, and they are loud when at speed (rounding the tips slightly helps a little).

Really depends on the turbine though, for most, there are better choices, in some case even PVC blades.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Isaiah

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »
I have some aluminium blades 24 inches (2 SETS) and they just didnt get what we wanted so I made extenders for them and it seems to really work.
The dump load has been tripped more now than ever.Don't have a logger on that mill yet.
 They can be seen here  http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4488&PN=1  with the deicer running at night.
 I may make another set but Im thinking of using angle stock as they may be stronger than the flat stock.
 We had 24+ last night and they held up good so far.
 Comments welcome
 Isaiah