Author Topic: Square vs Round Tubing Tower Construction  (Read 3905 times)

kittysmitty

Square vs Round Tubing Tower Construction
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »
Most tilt up towers seems to be built from round tubing. My question is why? Cost, strength, weight, etc. Thanks

Rover

Re: Square vs Round Tubing Tower Construction
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
Hi

Probably availability. Think about how many places have square tubing.  There are also probably a few reasons why a round tube is stronger than an a square one.. I'd ask the engineers on here answer that one.

Rover
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Hi, I used a mixture of square and round tube, it has worked out very well and recently survived 100+mph winds with a 16 footer on top. Here`s  a link to the build.

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,143821.0.html

Russell
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

wdyasq

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
Most tilt up towers seems to be built from round tubing. My question is why? Cost, strength, weight, etc. Thanks

Well, you hit them all or, almost all. Square tubing would also have a more interesting structural calculation as it does not have truly symmetrical properties as does a round tube.

By weight, round tubing is a very interesting structural material. It does have a few problems in fitting joints for the casual builder. You will notice many large cell towers have round tubing 'corners' and angle iron keeping those members in location. Such construction lowers fitting costs, avoids the problems with almost sealed tubes rusting and is fast to assemble in the field.

Designs are also dictated by many related costs. Among them are fabrication, material and erection. Large towers are sometimes all angle or angle and flat. Angle 'corners' and either angle or strap bracing is very cheap to fabricate. All of the bolt holes can be punched. This is much cheaper than welding or drilling holes. Sometimes the material and labor costs are cheaper to build larger is less than those to build more materially efficient.

Much of this will be dictated by accountants rather than by engineers. An engineer will 'build' several towers of different designs to the same load specification. From there, the design goes to an estimator who may also engage someone who may actually know how to build the product with the equipment and labor skills available. There may also be a time and scheduling problem that overrides other considerations.

It all becomes a balancing act.

Ron

"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

STYME JONES

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
I looked at lot's of things to use for a tower. from highway lamp and sign poles ;D to steel telephone poles. then i found this sign truck crane. i got lucky. http://youtu.be/zS6UruvVfqY  STYME ;D

zvizdic

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51:22 PM »
I used a mixture of square and round tube to.

kittysmitty

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. My plan is to build the tower in the spring. Now is the time to start collecting materials. Plan is for 60 feet high. Tilt up tower. I try to pickup materials for nothing or next to it. So, from what I understand I could have a combination of square and round. Maybe start with a 3 inch square tube and end up with 2 inch round at the top. Guyed every 20 feet. Thanks again.