Notices > Polls

Outhouses: Do you use one?

<< < (2/5) > >>

birdhouse:
i've got two of em up at my ranch.  they're probably illegal as well.  my place is a half hour drive on a dirt roads from a town of 94 people.  there isn't even a gas station there.  don't think anyone will notice my outhouses...

i add lime every so often.  it seems to help balance the PH and make it decompose better.  the thing almost never stinks, but usually just has an earthy smell to it.  

adam

Norm:
60 years ago.
Had one for 15 years , a small room in the corner of the garage.
 A deluxe '2 seater'....taper cut holes so the cut out fit in the hole
without falling thru ...rats never bothered much while the chicken coop
and the compost pile were nearby. .....just kick on the door before entering
gave them plenty of warning they didn't like being surprised. :)
Norm.

wooferhound:
The last outhouse that I used was when I visited Saint Petersburg Russia in 2005. It was behind a restaurant that was miles from anything else.
It was stinking hugely too

madlabs:

--- Quote from: birdhouse on December 24, 2011, 03:59:29 PM ---i've got two of em up at my ranch.  they're probably illegal as well.  my place is a half hour drive on a dirt roads from a town of 94 people.  there isn't even a gas station there.  don't think anyone will notice my outhouses...

i add lime every so often.  it seems to help balance the PH and make it decompose better.  the thing almost never stinks, but usually just has an earthy smell to it.  

adam

--- End quote ---

Yup, I use a little lime every time and don't pee in it, and it has very little smell at all.

kenl:
 Had a buddy living out in the country had one. His house was around 300sq/ft with no running water or electric. We'd have keg parties out there about once a month. The girls would use the outhouse and the guys would use the closest tree. As I recall did not smell any worse then one at a park and much better then some of the portalets I've used on job sites. Damn thing would be cold as hell in the winter it was northern MN after all.

kenny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version