8 (44.4%)
Feburary
2 (11.1%)
March
1 (5.6%)
Never, evertday is Christmas
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Christmas Trees (very off topic)  (Read 9912 times)

kenl

Christmas Trees (very off topic)
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »
 I was taking the tree down today and realized it usually doesn't happen till sometime between March and July  ;D
Just wondering if I was alone on that.

kenny

ps. spell check doesn't work with polls?
seemed like a good idea at the time

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Re: Christmas Trees (very off topic)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
My wife is the oddball I think... couldn't get it down fast enough this year in particular... LOL

Didn't even make it to new years day!

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

David HK

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
You missed one option on the Poll.

Ours is a living juniper tree which suits Christmas needs. Its always there, right outside the front door!

David in HK

bj

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
   First day after New Years that my back will tolerate taking it downstairs.  Hasn't happened yet.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

coldspot

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »
Tired of catching crap from friends and my kids
I found a two inch tall X-mas tree at a thrift store
a couple years back and stuck it on a shelf
Now when anybody lips off I just point it out and
it ends there.
LOL
$0.02

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
I haven't put up a tree in 30 years sorry make that 20 years
 Do a patent search on artificial trees you will find that in 57 or there about an uncle of mine invented the funny looking tinfoil tree
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »
I have put up a christmas tree up for 63 years and plan on continueing that process for many more. There have been times whem all I had was the tree from where I thinned the others to help grow not very big a real tree. I have drilled many a trunk and installed branches where there was none. I love the smell of a real tree. Up at my cabin (HOUSE) we have spent several christmas's up there and we leave the tree up until we come back in the spring and entering the house  filled with the smell of a real tree is fantastic. I'm glad there is a wood floor for there is alot of needles to clean up. The last one was 24 ft tall and we had to mount it at an angle to get it all in the house. But going and cutting a tree down in the snow with family is great memories. Up there we make our own decorations and really enjoy the holiday times. No TV no cell phone no eletricity for games just each other and real family time playing card and board games and the tree adds the toping off of our family's love for our Christmas. Each to ther own. But I like the real tree thing.
MntMnROY 13

spottrouble

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:06:51 AM »
Do a patent search on artificial trees you will find that in 57 or there about an uncle of mine invented the funny looking tinfoil tree

Ahah, now we know who to blame for those hideous monstrosities ;)

I think the whole Christmas tree thing is kind of weird. To take a living creature, whack it off at the base and instal it in the corner of the living room, hang a bunch of crap on it plus a few strings of lights, then say how beautiful it is for a month, then toss it out by the dumpster :-[.  And where exactly does the Jezebel pine tree fit into the birth of christ story ??? I must have missed that sunday school lesson.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:54:18 AM »

Ahah, now we know who to blame for those hideous monstrosities ;)

I think the whole Christmas tree thing is kind of weird. To take a living creature, whack it off at the base and instal it in the corner of the living room, hang a bunch of crap on it plus a few strings of lights, then say how beautiful it is for a month, then toss it out by the dumpster :-[.  And where exactly does the Jezebel pine tree fit into the birth of christ story ??? I must have missed that sunday school lesson.

makes more sense than chopping down a tree every year only to toss it out

I never decorate for Christmas and I cannot remember any time through out my life that we had ever put up a freshly dead sapling , if anyone in my family ever cut down a tree of any kind it had better have been large enough to use for some real purpose  IE fire wood , fence posts or lumber
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

David HK

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:24:31 AM »
I answered this question last year.

I never put away my Christmas trees because I have two living Juniper Fir trees outside my front door that perform the task very satisfactorily.

David in HK

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
We try and thin the trees for better growth and we also burn our tree. I'm not sure where the trimming of a tree started. We hve only 10 boughten ornimunts we put on our tree each year the rest we make and add to each year. Our string of colored circles is about 70 ft long and it used to go on to the tree but it goes around windows and around the door. The smaller ones we use are from each of my kids. since they are mostly gone they do not get added to but ever so often. It used to be they had to add a foot each year to their string and put the date on it that was a rule. I'll be getting the grand kids to add to their parents string this year. One of my sons just told me there is one more to add to our family she is 9 and I didn't know but he knew for 5 years. I will not ask the reasons. It was just my birthday a couple of days ago and he told me then. I'll get to meet her the 15th of July. It will be fun she is just 270 miles away I hope to have her her for Labor Day weekend. I may go and see her earlier to help a little with the introduction of someone and a family she really does not know nor have ever met. Interesting.
MntMnROY 13