Miscellaneous > How to work with images

How to make your own gallery

<< < (2/2)

MattM:
When we attach pictures I assume some sort of tag is associated with each user to meter out storage.  If you could build a table that links to those tags then display them by date posted, it would pretty much build a gallery just by compiling those picture links to the original posts.  No need to add any new picture copies.

TechAdmin:

--- Quote from: MattM on March 11, 2021, 07:00:34 AM ---When we attach pictures I assume some sort of tag is associated with each user to meter out storage.  If you could build a table that links to those tags then display them by date posted, it would pretty much build a gallery just by compiling those picture links to the original posts.  No need to add any new picture copies.

--- End quote ---
I'm afraid that's nowhere near how it works :) Privacy is taken very seriously there, all attachments are encoded so hard that not even with server access we can view them individually outside of SMF interface. They don't keep their names, author, link, extension or any aspect associated with it, they only work with the specific post they've been attached to. I'll attach you a screenshot of the attachments folder on the server just to give you an idea ;D The only way I could potentially figure something out would be from the date, and I still would not be able to view the file.

The only way to see who posted what is an area in administration, but even then it won't list by member and won't display the attachment without the link to the post. The system is even more complex when you take into consideration that one person may or may not be allowed to view an attachment, a permission that can vary according to the board you're browsing, too. For admins it's not a problem, but for other users it is, because every single item would have to be double checked for permission.

TechAdmin:

--- Quote from: junglehydro on March 10, 2021, 03:06:08 PM ---This link seems to be dead  :(

--- End quote ---
Fixed :)

MattM:
Sounds like it would be easier to build a web crawler to search html for attachments and create a non-server side gallery.  The downside is your gallery would be static until the next web crawler run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version