Author Topic: Help needed on charging a battery  (Read 2436 times)

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
Help needed on charging a battery
« on: January 30, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
Not sure where to put this question.
I need to know what it will take to charge this battery each day.
Just say I use it down to 80%.
12 volt 1182ah @ 20 hr's pallet jack battery.
Question is how many amps to charge this battery in
Say 4 hours winter 7 hours summer.
I have no idea.
This will be to my on going hydro / solar project at the lake.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: Help needed on charging a battery
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:30:13 AM »
20% of 1182Ah are approx. 240Ah.
240Ah/4h = 60Ah in winter.
240Ah/7h = 35Ah in summer.
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »
Thanks Simen

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
If that is a lead/antimony type battery commonly used for such applications, it may have a noticable amount of self discharge as well, which would need to be made up to bring it up to full charge each day in addition to what you use.  I would figure up to 2% of rated capacity, or about 24 Amp Hours per day, or about 10% of your stated usage - although this will vary with the type, the condition of your battery, and the temperature.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

BooneyLiving

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »
I don't think it's as simple as saying that it would take a certain amount of amp hours to charge in the summer and a certain amount in the winter.  Charging efficiencies as well as battery capacity are both temperature dependent.

For example, a battery that is stored at 50 degrees F in the winter would have very different charging characteristics than one stored at 0 degrees F.  Both temperatures would commonly be found during winter but the answer to your question of how long the battery would take to charge would be quite different under these different temperatures.

Some of the other factors that affect charging time are, the overall condition of the battery, the type charger you're using,  the quality of the connection between the battery and the charger, and more.