Author Topic: Windmill Project Innotech  (Read 25533 times)

dloefffler

Re: Windmill Project Innotech
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
Does the hub have the strength to hold the blades? Can you supply pictures of the blade bearing assembly? Are you using the engineering analysis part of SW to visualize/measure stress? Is there a reason you didn't move the generator portion back, on a shaft and enclose it to avoid the corrosion issue?

Excellent, fascinating project. Thanks for sharing, there are so many different ideas on this forum.

Dennis

"An old, bald headed guy with glasses."

Marijn_Innotech

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 06:21:30 AM »
Does the hub have the strength to hold the blades? Can you supply pictures of the blade bearing assembly? Are you using the engineering analysis part of SW to visualize/measure stress? Is there a reason you didn't move the generator portion back, on a shaft and enclose it to avoid the corrosion issue?

Excellent, fascinating project. Thanks for sharing, there are so many different ideas on this forum.

Dennis

"An old, bald headed guy with glasses."

Hi Dennis,
We are making the hub out of carbon fibre, which is strong. In the next section view you can see the bearing of the blade. When we put the generator back on the shaft, we will need a extra mounting plate. And what you can't see yet is that there is a housing around the generator to the back.

No i didn't use the analysing mode in SW. Because for example for the blade, you have exactly to know what you laminate thickness will be, and what you will use for the core. I think that's to difficult.

thanks for you reaction

Marijn_Innotech

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 06:26:30 AM »
Seems interesting! It looks that NL is ahead of BE on such things.  :D

I assume you have to document all this? I'm curious to read up on the details (like moulding process and pitching setup and so)
Where will the mill be placed when it's finished? Do you already have a tower setup in mind?

Yes i will make a document, and will put it on fieldlines when its done.
We already bought a tower (30Meters) and it wil stands next to our building next to the highway (A58).

dnBisschop

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
Hee Martijn,
Ik ben beniewd! I also live in Tilburg, and ofcourse i drive along the A58 a lot, so i'm looking forward to seeing your mill along the road!

Your project looks really good! Does the ROC help you financially? Because it seems like quite a big project for a student.
And where did you buy the tower and where did you get your lasered rotorplates, or do you have the facility on the school?

I also just finished my first turbine a week ago, doesn't look as nice as yours but i'm proud anyway. Its  1,5m diameter with fiberglass blades. Now I don't know what to do with it hahah because i live in the centre of the city so there's no place for guy wires and i'm not sure what kind of tower i can use to mount on the roof.. (if anyone has done this before and has an option?) but hey, was great fun building that thing anyway..

Greetings from Tilburg!
Bart

dloefffler

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
Do you have pictures of the carbon fiber process that made the hub from the mold?  It seems as though the pictures are not in order.  Is the hub one piece, or is it assembled from parts?

Dennis

Marijn_Innotech

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »
Hee Martijn,
Ik ben beniewd! I also live in Tilburg, and ofcourse i drive along the A58 a lot, so i'm looking forward to seeing your mill along the road!

Your project looks really good! Does the ROC help you financially? Because it seems like quite a big project for a student.
And where did you buy the tower and where did you get your lasered rotorplates, or do you have the facility on the school?

I also just finished my first turbine a week ago, doesn't look as nice as yours but i'm proud anyway. Its  1,5m diameter with fiberglass blades. Now I don't know what to do with it hahah because i live in the centre of the city so there's no place for guy wires and i'm not sure what kind of tower i can use to mount on the roof.. (if anyone has done this before and has an option?) but hey, was great fun building that thing anyway..

Greetings from Tilburg!
Bart

Hee Bart,

dat is toevallig ja. I would like to see your mill too.
No this whole project I do at Innotech (moergestel) in my training perdiod (stage). School has nothing to do with this project. The whole finance part is from Innotech.
We bought a 30 meter tower on marktplaats. And the Cromvoirtse in Oisterwijk lasered the rotorplates.

I would like to invite you to take a look at our mill. We hope we get the license to place our tower.
You can send me a e-mail if you want: marijnvanantwerpen@gmail.com

greets

Marijn_Innotech

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 07:40:21 AM »
Do you have pictures of the carbon fiber process that made the hub from the mold?  It seems as though the pictures are not in order.  Is the hub one piece, or is it assembled from parts?

Dennis

Dennis,

we just finished the mold of the hub. Wen we start with laminte the hub I will post some pictures. You are right about the section view pictures, the inside of the hub is not illustrate well. The hub will be made out of two the same pieces that will laminate together, so it wil be one part at the end.

Ontheronix

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
We hope we get the license to place our tower.
How's that regulated in NL? Here in Belgium, regulations (aanvraag bouwvergunning) are a pain in the ass, altough on diy machines, as far as I see you have to have certificates of the manufacturer, so decibels, safety, ... would be clear.  :-[

dloefffler

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
On Reply 27 where I understand you are making the mold, the metal dowel pins I see are the mold can be inverted when complete and the opposite side indexed to the first half of the mold? The flat MDF seen in #27, that is removed prior to making the second(back) half of the mold?

Do the vertical(side) MDF stay with the mold as I notice the fiberglass(?) extends up the side of this MDF?

The side MDF is to give strength to the mold?

Please forgive all the questions which are probably obvious to many, but I have never worked with fiberglass or carbon before.

I am very interested to see how the two halves of the hub are mated to support the blades.

The location of the generator directly behind and attached to the first rotor is a very nice touch.

Do you find it convenient to skecth in 3-D as opposed to sketch in 2-D and extrude/cut/rotate etc.? Obviously, I have never tried 3-D skectching.

Dennis

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
Last week Marijn contacted me and gave me a link to this discussion board. Today I became a member of this board to take part in the discussion. Last Monday I have visited Innotech and I had a long discussion with Marijn and the owner of the company about their design, which looks really nice.  One of their questions was if the torque level of the generator can be increased by using iron in the coils. I think this is possible but it will introduce clogging problems for the current number of rotor and stator poles. I have designed and tested many permanent magnet generators based on asynchronous motors which are provided with a permanent magnet armature. These generators are described in my free public report KD 341. My generators have no fluctuation of the sticking torque which is realised because the magnet grooves make a certain angle with the armature axis.

I also wrote some reports about axial flux generators. The problem of clogging because of the fluctuation of the sticking torque can be solved by the correct choice of the number of rotor and stator poles. If the rotor has 16 poles and if the 3-phase winding of the stator has 15 poles, there will be a preference position every 1.5 degree, so you will have 240 preference positions during one revolution. The fluctuation of the sticking torque will be almost gone for these many preference positions. This idea is described in my public report KD 492 which I wrote this week and which can be downloaded for free from my page on the website of Bidnetwork. I have written an article about all my free public KD reports but I saw that this article was placed in quarantine. It might come back if the moderator of this site sees the value of my reports for the members.

Only if I have time to edit out the heavy sales pitch which is simply not allowed in early posts: DamonHD
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:55:58 PM by DamonHD »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
WILD in ALASKA

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
Sorry Adriaan but you are absolutely not allowed to hawk your wares the moment that you join this forum, that's flat out against the rules and we've had some mighty fights.

I would have been justified in removing your post entirely, and I resisted removing your account having decided that you probably weren't a SPAMmer in the usual sense.

Please DO NOT post commercial links again until you have established your bona fides here.

I know you are not flogging impotence drugs or knock-off sports shoes, but please just don't start by selling here.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 03:36:03 AM »
I have offered twelve reports which can be downloaded for free from my page on the website of Bidnetwork. Take it or leave it. It was not my intention to stimulate people to buy something but it is true that not all my public reports are for free. I only gave some background of my office to introduce myself. But the reaction of the moderater shows me very clearly that my contribution to this forum is not wanted so this is my last post on this board if my article is removed permanently. I advise you to read at least some of my free KD-reports. You will see that stimulation of wind energy is my only goal.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
 ::) Yawn.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Marijn_Innotech

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
long time ago, but here is a new update about the blades.

We decided to make the core of the blades from P.U. foam.
for the one who don't know how Polyurethane works, check my youtube video where I did a test. >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DlB6UhItw

We want to make the polyurethane foam core into the blade mold, that we have exact the right profile.
But then there will be one problem, the core will be to thick. Because the Polyurethane core is exact the size of the mold, there will be no space for the glass fibre.
That's why we decided to laminate in the 2 mold pieces the exact glass fibre package, as you can see in the picture.

So when we put in the polyurethane foam with the two laminated scales in it. The core will be smaller then the mold, and there will be place for the glass fibre package.

After that we designed a construction for in the beginning of the blade. You can see the 3D sketch of it in the picture below. The wooden disc  is the place were the bearing of the hub will be on.

5564-1

When that's done, the mold can be prepared for the polyurethane core.

I don't have have pictures of putting the foam into the mold. When the 2 components are mixed together there is only 20 seconds left to bring it into the mold and close it.
Like in this picture

After two ours, the mold can be opened, and this is the result.

In the next picture, you can see the work of the two laminated scales in the mold.

this week we will try to make our first blade.
I keep you posted.

Marijn

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
It sure would be nice to have an update on this project.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Marijn_Innotech

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
So that's a long time ago but here is a new update.
This update is going about how we made our blades using vacuum injection. In the previous updates you saw howe we made our polyurethane core were we let some space between the core and the mold. Around this polyurethane core we will stick our laminate package using staples. in the next pictures you can see this process.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

When the whole package is around the PU core we put it in the mold.

Now we put a sealing strip around the blade on the mold to be sure that there can be no air in it when we set it under vacuum. When this is done the mold can be closed.
Our vacuum point comes at the tip of our blade and the resin point at the beginning of the blade. We are using a polyester injection resin. We want to use the whole pot life of the polyester resin to inject our blade. This is that the air inside the laminate and the PU core has more time to get out the blade.

We begin with a vacuum of -0,1, further the process we will bring this to -0,8 barr. The whole injection process takes around 40 minutes.

after 24 ours we opened the mold and this is the result.

after finishing

Soon I will post a update about the carbon fibre Hub.

mbouwer

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Hi Marijn,

This  fabrication method of blades for small turbines looks very promising.
Do we have to expect problems occuring using epoxy and carbon?

Rinus

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
Very interesting project. Nice blades.
Curious to know and see more pictures soon.
Best of luck
 - Frans -

frankdb

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
I cannot see the pictures of message 49