Author Topic: Stator connecting  (Read 2712 times)

radmanmike

• Mike's Radiator
Stator connecting
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Hi all, I am working on a Hughs six foot machine, I started off building a 12 volt system. long and the short of is the stator came out less perfect then I expected. So I made a set of coils for a 24 volt system. All the diagrams I can find relate to machines with more than six coils. This is what I think is right, but would one of guys tell me if I am right or if not, how it should look.
Starts 1,2,3 connected
1 finish to 4 start
2 finish to 5 start
3 finish to 6 start

All this makes my head hurt.

Mike 

vawtwindy

Re: Stator connecting
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Look at this diagram, this is for 9 coils

might be helpful to you

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2717/3mill70.jpg
endless hurdles.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 03:35:52 AM »
Yes you are right. The diametrically opposite coils are in the same phase so 4 is opposite 1,  5 is opposite 2 and 6 is opposite 3. The way you describe the connection is right..

You can adapt the diagram given by vawtwindy but the numbers are for the phases not the coil numbers. As you can see the same phase crops up every 4 th coil so that ties up with your description.

Good luck
Flux

dinges

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
I find it easiest to think about the phases A, B, C;

*WITHIN* each phase, the START of one coil gets connected to the END of the next coil. (it doesn't matter which end of a coil you label start or end, as long as you're consistent, i.e. name all coil ends similarly).

If you adhere to that rule, you'll be sure that each of the phases is properly wired up, in a 3-phase alternator (single phase can be different, but you shouldn't use single phase anyway).

Finally, for a STAR (WYE) system, connect all the STARTS of all 3 phases together. (or all 3 ENDS together - doesn't matter); I assume your Hugh Piggott alternator uses 3-phase star, so the above applies.

But for a DELTA system, connect the END of one phase to the START of the next phase; so end of A goes to start of B; end of B to start of C; end of C to start of A.

So, to sum up: first make sure that all coils within a phase are properly connected, without coils being inadvertently reversed. When all three phases are properly wired, then connect them together, in either star (wye) or delta.

It's not difficult - once you know how to do it....  ;D
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

radmanmike

• Mike's Radiator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
Got it now! thanks for the help.

Mike