Author Topic: Grounding  (Read 1586 times)

snowmass

Grounding
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:22 AM »
1st ?... Should the lightning arresters go on the charge controller or combiner box? 2nd... Where best to ground on DC side of things? Would battery neg. be good?

Watt

Re: Grounding
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
Where is your combiner located and how far from the charge controller?  Where is your batter bank located? 

I use Midnite Solars lightening arresters.  I have one ( will be increased to two, one for the black - bar and one for the red + bar for maximum protection - as the panels are most vulnerable to strikes for me. ) 300v arrester in the combiner box and one 115v arrester at the battery group.  All Dc grounds, as well as inverter ac loads ( classic, combiner box and panels) are on a single grounding rod at the corner of the building the panels are mounted on.  All a/c loads from the grid are grounded at a single point at the entrance of the electrical panel.  The House is grounded at it's service entrance as well.  I will have two 300v midnite arresters protecting me from the grid just as soon as I get them installed. 

Anyway, could you explain a bit more about your site wiring and load locations?

snowmass

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:44 PM »
Sorry getting back so late. A solar head friend of mine set me straight on everything.
I know just enough to get in trouble. I do like your idea of doubling up on both black and red... Thanks

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
Aren't you going to tell us what your friend said about grounding, I wanted to know the information too . . .