Author Topic: generator problems  (Read 35431 times)

oztules

• Village idiot
Re: generator problems
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
Me: "Try over revving it when it starts and see if that causes it to energise, or bigger cap for a test....."
You: "Finally some sucess i revved the motor up at start up and it will energize"

Tells me that the cap is down or the revs are too low.

"Do you think that it could be just a matter of raising to idle speed"........There is no idle, they must run all the time at 3600rpm for your frequency... other wise the voltage is wrong for a start, the frequency is wrong for a second, and it wont energise for a third.

If you want to run slower for some reason, (quieter and dont need the freq correct nor voltage correct... ie driving hand tools with universal motors etc), then you will need a slightly bigger cap, and it will start lower and run lower, but your frequency will be wrong but the voltage may still right. (due to the extra excitation, the voltage will kick up, but the frequency is tied to rpm only).

good to see it working again .

..............oztules

Edit: Dinges there is a lot of truth in that, but if so, then it would not run normally once flashed. It needs the diodes all the time, not just at start up........ having said that, they will run on one diode..... but very poorly regulated... ie sags very much under load.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:48:11 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

greenkarson

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
Everything is running fine!!  It turns out the first problem was the broken wire on the diode and the second problem was the idle speed being too low.  Took me a while to figger out how to adjust the idle speed on the diesel motor. But after i figgered it out i could dial it in no problem.it surprised  me how persice the idle speed had to be. A quarter turn either way made a hugh difference.

So from my family to yours thanks so much for all the help.  Saved us a pile of money.
Very much appreciated!

TimS

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
What a great story to read.  Thanks, everyone!

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
"So from my family to yours thanks so much for all the help.  Saved us a pile of money.
Very much appreciated!"..... your welcome ;)

................oztules
Flinders Island Australia

equiluxe

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
Flash the rotor/field with 12 volts while the unit is stationary sounds like the unit has lost its residual magnetism, I find I often have to do this on sets that have stood a long time idle.

dbcollen

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
I have a bunch of those same generators, the 12uF plastic cap is junk, they all failed quickly. Just go buy a metal cased 400-600vac 12uF motor run cap and be done with it.