Author Topic: Just thinking blindly  (Read 2796 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Just thinking blindly
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
Since I do not know the makeup design of solar panels I was wondering why there could not be a reflective mirror type system used around or underneath solar panels to gain more sunlight to the solar cells. Maybe they only use direct sunlight to work?  Maybe I'm just lost in my thoughts of different questions. Thirteen
MntMnROY 13

Watt

Re: Just thinking blindly
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Check out the fresnel lens.  Nice but not without it's complications. 

thirteen

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
thanks
MntMnROY 13

dinges

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
http://www.solar-trackers.com/solar-concentrators.asp

However, I understand (some?) PV manufacturers state that the warranty becomes void when using such concentrators. If you choose the concentration ratio too high, you will damage the PV panels.
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »
there are places on earth where sunlight is stronger than at other places.
are solar panels rated for light levels or heat levels?

Watt

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
Both I'd say.  Watts per area ( geographic location ) and temperature dependent output ( better performance in cold weather vs. a hot panel).  The panel specs would have that info.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:14:12 AM »
Concentrating light necessarily bends and refocuses the rays of the sun.  Fine for thermal CSP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power , not so fine with PV.    As I understand it, due to the doping process of the cells, they must have light waves striking them all at the same angle, or else efficiency drops off.    The resultant higher temperature is also detrimental.

However, this may only apply to the particular panels we were installing, and I am not sure exactly just which type Sanyo used.

That said, there is at least one panel that recommends against concentrating or refracting of light

Turtle
soli deo gloria

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:18 AM »
The Sanyo bi-facial are designed to go in front of a reflective surface, but that's less than "2 suns" concentration.

Some of the super-efficient multi-junction cells require tens or hundreds of suns concentration IIRC.  But cooling issues might be fun.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

thirteen

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »
My place is in the mountains and my problem is I only get 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per day of direct sunlight during the winter month. Dec 10 to January 20Th And at times I have up to 3-4 ft of snow during the winter. The mountains to the south of me block my sunlight. I was hoping to be able to up my production of solar power from Nov thru Feb. Without splitting my panels. The distance is over 300 ft from where some of the solar panels should be mounted then go to the storage area. I am in a steep canyon with lots of timber. If I go either way from my house the land is steep and during the winter the snow would it very hard to get to a remote battery bank. It would be OK if I was young but I'll be 65 next year and things will start getting harder for me to do as the years go by. I have scheduled in a guy to come in May to check out whether I can get the net or not. He was below me last year checking my neighbor out and told me I may need to build a relay station for me to get the net. I am in just the wrong spot for things so it seems. No cell phone reception, no TV reception, two radio stations from 2-7 pm daily and I was told that about 300 ft straight up the mountain I can get better radio reception if I mount an antenna.   Nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile. This might an over kill of information but it explains things better. For a side thought I get about 110 to 120 days of good growing sunlight for my garden.
MntMnROY 13

bvan1941

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
Thirteen,
Glad to have you aboard!
Seems like a tough equation to solve without more information. Some important requirement details are vital in helping you decide best course of action. You haven't said how much electrical knowledge you have and may require someone with that knowledge to help you answer questions from this Forum.

-A requirement to start with, is your electrical consumption measured in kilowatt hours either per day, week or monthly.
-A pix with site orientation would help, especially with mountains,sun travel, predominate wind direction / (avg.) approximate wind    speed, etc.
- Auxillary Gens?
-Any steady running water from a stream? (A possible source for a micro hydro genration unit)

I'm not an expert, but these are all examples of things that must be known / considered for helping solve your problem.
In the end, it may be that you may resign yourself to using a diesel generator. At this point there's not enough information here to help you make a correct decision.

Solar panels can always be configured to take maximum advantage of available sunlight through several methods-- Don't give up there's a way !
Bill

thirteen

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:21:23 AM »
I will not be able to get up there until mid April. they have been logging about 5 miles from me so the roads are plowed except the last 5 miles. My neighbor below me says the road is passable. but they got 6 inches of snow today. there is a creek just 20 ft in front of the house that will need developed for a micro hydro system but there is not enough water during the mid summer from July until Oct. that will be in two years. And sometimes it freezes during the winter months Dec to Feb.  I have two gas gen sets 4000 w each. One sucks gas like and old dried up sponge the other is about 10 hrs on a 5.5 gal tank.
I can wire a house or a business and I work in starters for motors and do fine but getting into building boards and relays I have my lime ts. I will get pix in April and draw some diagrams.
As for the power needed I will have a on demand propane water heater. If I can get it running I just bought an old washing machine gas driven($15). But I will get an electric one next year.
I will get a chest freezer and it uses around 365 kWh per year.
My battery bank will be around 1200 ah but that is up to change because of the solar configuration and where to put my power house. It was close to the house but I may have to move it.
I heat with wood and cook with wood. There is no TV reception. There is no furnace, my domestic water will be a gravity system with a 300 gal tank and about 50 ft above the house. No air conditioner is needed. No dishwasher, no dryer, no cieling fan, no coffee pot, maybe a toaster, a computer system. A TV/DVD player. All of these will be on dead man switches. (switches by the doors to shut all power off when not used). I have a nice pantry for cool storage Hi 54 low 36.
For my power tools I will use my gensets when I need them. I may not have inter net services. There is no cell phone service unless you drive about 2 miles or go straight up the mountian about 500 ft.   This might help some gen information.
MntMnROY 13

thirteen

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
I forgot this. Wind in not an option most of the trees are 100+ ft high and the terrain is to steep and branches are always flying around when the wind does blow. The tower would have to be at least over 150ft tall guy wires to hard to put into the ground.   
I need to get pictures to help things. April if the snow is gone enough to get into the cabin.
I work in Butte, Montana, USA 6 inches of snow
MntMnROY 13