Author Topic: Idea for simple active pitch control - would this work?  (Read 2261 times)

sunbelt57

Idea for simple active pitch control - would this work?
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »
Would this work? The 2 shafts are par. to each other with 2 sets of gears. I'm not showing the pillow blocks for the shafts or any other mounts. It only uses 2 blades of course. The two rods going threw the swivel nuts are perpendicular to the shafts and the 2 blue lines represent a reverse threaded shaft and a regular threaded shaft at either end of a reversible motor. The motor would have to be tethered in place with a rubber band or something since it would have to move up and down. If its just a 2 blade turbine, could they be offset as shown? The motor would be in the middle so there would be no uneven balancing.

sunbelt57

Re: Idea for simple active pitch control - would this work?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:14:32 AM »
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=210You could use 2 of these to mount the motor on.

sunbelt57

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »
Of course I'd have to transmit the power using brushes contacting slides. One for every wire of the motor.

sunbelt57

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:34:15 AM »
It might be better to just use a worm drive and gear. I'd have to have limit switches on it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:35:56 AM by sunbelt57 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »
Yes it could be made to work but not without a lot of difficulty, Apart from the need to spin the motor, you need to have slip rings or something to get power to the motor.Most other arrangements have the mechanical equivalent of slip rings ( thrust bearings)and this seems to be a more logical option.

Active pitch control introduces a lot of extra things and increases the likelyhood of failure, with good design and good maintenance you can make it work but spinning motors and slip rings would not be my approach.

Flux

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
I would advise  no motor in front of the propeller ,balance problem and sliprings.
 I have a windgenerator here with active- pitchcontrol running good for half a year, with a few modifications, have good experience with a hollow mainshaft ,a push-pull rod and an actuator. Last week I connected  a microcontroller and it can be controlled full automatic.
Feathering with high Rpm and unfeather with lower wind .
Any Rpm you want.
The contoller has 14 in -and outputs . Extra signals can be added : Anemometer , Stator high temp., Full batteries,  And it cost only 30 dollars. Parameters can be set in software on a PC.
- Frans -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jaz3soqXLo&list=UUhmCD9VGJTBJsh0tCDHsHbw&index=2&feature=plcp

sunbelt57

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Slip rings would be a pain. I like the 3rd video in the playlist. Do you have anymore detailed pictures of that or plans? It looks like it has less moving parts than what I was thinking of. Very nice.