Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

Lots Of Nothing

<< < (4/15) > >>

Isaiah:
Fabricator,and All,
 Yes they are 3 phase and at this point in time we are running the 3 phase down and rectifiers are down here.
 The servo motors are built well and have good bearings in them.
If a person watches ebay and some of the salvage places you can get a good buy on them in comparison to buying magnets and building your own.
 I have 4 servo's and paid less than you would for a   redone gm 10si's called wind turbines.
 One thing we all have to remember is that on ebay and other places there are people out there selling things and the don't
really care if the item dose what it is supposed to do .
So we have to to our homework and know what we are about before we purchase.
 My son just learned the same thing with some very expensive car parts off ebay.
 Isaiah

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on April 05, 2012, 01:26:27 AM ---We don't know what you should do.  We can only give you suggestions.

--- End quote ---

SparWeb summed this up pretty well with this statement.  Grid-tying car alternators is an exercise in futility.  A "single marine deep cycle that only puts out 35 watts" means the battery can only deliver 3 amps.  This, I don't understand.  If the grid-tie inverter is one of the Chinese plug-it-in-the-wall type, then it's not a viable (or even legal) grid-tie setup in the first place.  If the inverter is a real UL1741 compliant grid-tie unit, and you have a good wind resource (which it sounds like you might), then spending the money on a decent wind turbine is probably worthwhile.  But no matter how you cut it, you're going to have $10 Grand in a real grid-tied wind turbine that generates enough power to make the project worthwhile.

With grid-tie systems it's all about money and payback time on your investment in equipment.  If the equipment doesn't generate enough power to pay for itself, then it's not worth having it and you may as well buy power from the utility.  Grid-tie systems typically don't pay off because it's more expensive to generate your own power than it is to buy it from the utility.

So, like Spar said, we can't tell you what to do.  And when it comes to suggestions, I know of no viable wind power systems designed for grid-tie that are going to be able to be done for less than about $10 Grand by the time you buy the inverter, wiring, tower, turbine itself and go thru all the inspections and requirements by the utility to be able to do it.

If you're off-grid, or have grid power and are building an off-grid battery backup system to compliment your grid power and run some circuits in your home, then it's a different ballgame and there's lots of options.  But that's evidently not the case here.
--
Chris

Isaiah:
You need to check with your local utility company to see what they are paying for your electricity!
 They may only pay wholesale.
 something to keep in mind.
I varies state to state and and company to company.
 Some company's don't like to buy your power and make it rough as they can on you to comply.
 Nothing is as it seems
 Isaiah

Mary B:
Depends on the state for payback, in MN it is retail.

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: MaryAlana on April 05, 2012, 01:27:01 PM ---Depends on the state for payback, in MN it is retail.

--- End quote ---

In Wisconsin it is average retail.  And then they bolt on an "administrative fixed charge" of $40 a month, meaning at 15 cents/kWh they get the first 267 kWh you generate every month for free.  Without the grid-tie, the "administrative fixed charge" is $7 a month.

To put that in perspective, say you have a wind turbine that generates 200 watts, 24 hours a day.  That wind turbine has to run continuously at 200 watts output for two months to pay for the fixed charge for the first month.
--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version