Author Topic: Lots Of Nothing  (Read 83219 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: Lots Of Nothing
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »
In some countries there is trade description laws that would have seen govt legal action to prevent the 1600watts in the product description and hence a 1600watt output expectation by customers...

Actually though, 1600 watts on a 24 volt system running at 30 volts is only 53 amps.  If you take the blades off that thing and put a pulley on it, then install it on your car engine I would guess it could probably develop 53 amps @ 30 volts.
--
Chris

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
They just forgot to put that in the instructions. LOL
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

dgd

• Never do today what can be done tomorrow
    • Lory Link
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 03:42:51 AM »
 I hooked a Missouri Wind & Solar 'General' to a Midnite Classic 150. This is a 14magnet 1600 watt alternator with an eleven blade hub with MW&S gen 4 Raptor blades of 62inch diameter. The alternator was fairly free running and the slightest breeze would start it rotating.
The General was a 24v model and battery bank is 24v, the wind curve in the Classic was a best guess.
Over a 2 week period of zero to medium winds I got 7.4Kw/hrs with  best day of 1.1Kw/hrs
So not a lot but not nothing either. Still sort of ok  for a $451 turbine ::)
dgd

http://youtu.be/n7V2cItXtbw
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:48:26 AM by dgd »
Off grid since 4/2000
Midnite C150,C250,Clipper, 2.8Kw PV, 2Kw turbine,1025Ah24v FLA (1999), SW3024E (1997), 3q16 48v300Ah LiFeYPO4 6Kw OzInverter, Arduino DUE web monitor.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
I hooked a Missouri Wind & Solar 'General' to a Midnite Classic 150. This is a 14magnet 1600 watt alternator with an eleven blade hub with MW&S gen 4 Raptor blades of 62inch diameter. The alternator was fairly free running and the slightest breeze would start it rotating.
The General was a 24v model and battery bank is 24v, the wind curve in the Classic was a best guess.
Over a 2 week period of zero to medium winds I got 7.4Kw/hrs with  best day of 1.1Kw/hrs
dgd

Hey good to see someone is getting something from these units! I am curious though and being in the very state they are named after. Would it be possible for you to post a picture or two? plus any info on your setup you'd like to add.:-)
Cheers;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

dgd

• Lory Link
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:18 PM »
Hey good to see someone is getting something from these units! I am curious though and being in the very state they are named after. Would it be possible for you to post a picture or two? plus any info on your setup you'd like to add.:-)
Cheers;
Bruce S

Missouri General atop 10metre pole clear to wind from West and North... solar panels facing north, also those just visible behind trees have clear view of almost overhead sun.

nice and clean looking - all those blades  :)

Midnite Classic 150 and relay/dump load resistors for General. I got this 150 for the hy1000 but it smelt like burnt toast when I took it down, I think it may have been zapped in a winter electrical storm. A neighbour told me that
it looked like sparks shooting out of it one stormy night. Its off to be repaired but is probably a write off...  so I wanted something low cost to play with until my 10 footer flies  :D

The resistors are 300w types, one connected to each AC phase from turbine and then to Crydom 3 phase relay that shorts phases via resistors. AUX2 WasteNot from Classic controls the relay.
The general hardly produces enough Amps to need this type of clipper. When the solar via another 150 fills the
bank then this 150 enables the relay. I have seen it work nice and the general warms the resistors.
But its all really in prepation for the 10 footer flying.
I have also replaced the direct link from AUX2 to the Crydom with a logic board that uses the AUX2 Clipper control  with an overvoltage detector circuit using an lm397 comparator. This logic board also detects dead 150 using the presence of the 9v in one of the telco connectors in the 150...  All to prevent a free flying turbine  :)

dgd

Off grid since 2000 in Auckland New Zealand, 2.4kw solar, hy1000 turbine, Missouri General turbine, 3 Classics 150/150/250, 1150Ah Century battery 24v, Trace 3024E, SEA 3KW, 600watt water element dump load.
ongoing projects: near complete Otherpower 10foot turbine, change to AC water heating 2Kw, install more panels  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:57:09 PM by dgd »
Off grid since 4/2000
Midnite C150,C250,Clipper, 2.8Kw PV, 2Kw turbine,1025Ah24v FLA (1999), SW3024E (1997), 3q16 48v300Ah LiFeYPO4 6Kw OzInverter, Arduino DUE web monitor.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »
palm trees, dam!
i just spent 3 weeks raking .
what's that other tree on the left that's pointing  towards the mill?
some kinda giant cannabis bud?

dgd

• Lory Link
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
palm trees, dam!
i just spent 3 weeks raking .
what's that other tree on the left that's pointing  towards the mill?
some kinda giant cannabis bud?

That's what the 11 blades are for, they whip up the air into an inverse cone of highly charged molecules that  attract to that head. It's now a monster.
in a month or so when it's real hot and nobody can sleep I will get this in the wood burner so all the street gets a mystery trip.
Off grid since 4/2000

kenobrock

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
Can a wind powered generator and a solar system charge the same battery bank? The solar system will be 5KW and the wind generator will be 2.5KW. The windmill will be a 14' diameter water pumping windmill on a 40' tower, that will have the reciprocal action changed to rotary so a rotating shaft will come down inside the tower to the generator will be down at ground level. The generator will be a rebuilt Jacobs. I have made rotary conversions before on 5 smaller 8 ft diameter water pumping windmills for skimming oil. Using an 18 blade wheel there will be a lot of power in a much lower speed wind.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »
Can a wind powered generator and a solar system charge the same battery bank?
yup. if the voltage outputs are the same.

Yianie123.

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »
Thank you for keeping my post up so long.  To bring everyone up to date, I am building an 8ft diameter windturbine.  Going to try PVC blades, made first with. 6inch diameter then try with 8 in dia. Started, but modifying my design already.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
lets have some picts...........
WILD in ALASKA

Yianie123.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 12:26:46 PM »
Photo wont upload, is there a size restriction?  I am using my IPAD to take the photo and it will not upload.

Yianie123.

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »
dgd

Is that 1.1kw per hour or a 24 hr period?  If its a day, than the average is 46watts and hour.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Please, no "watts per hour".  Watts are already energy per hour.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Yianie123.

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »

Rgds

Damon
In order to achieve 1.1kw/per hour with that type of generator, you are looking at a 50mph wind. 

Yianie123.

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
In order to achieve 1.1kw/per hour with that type of generator, you are looking at a 50mph wind.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
Over a 2 week period of zero to medium winds I got 7.4Kw-hrs with best day of 1.1Kw-hrs

That fixes it.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 03:18:39 AM »
I purchased 4-500W PMA from Missourri Wind and Solar.  They were a year old when I purchased them, but being PMA's using alternator bearings, I would say that I still had 100,000's of hours left on the bearings.

Alternator bearings are designed to last in the ballpark of 100,000 miles.  At 50 MPH that's 2,000 hours, but figure maybe 5,000 hours for idling and driving slow time.  A year averages about 8,766 hours.  If you have enough wind to load the bearings and spin the shaft comparably to what it experiences in a car, you'll be lucky to get a year out of the bearings.

Also:  Alternator bearings are designed to be loaded mainly sideways, and a wind turbine gets a lot of force along the shaft.  So don't expect regular alternator bearings to do well.  (Of course part of the conversion they did to the alternator MIGHT have involved swapping in more appropriate bearings.)

madlabs

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »

Rgds

Damon

Huh? I always understood that watts are an instantaneous measurement of power and that watt hours are energy per hour. What(watt) am I missing here?

Jonathan

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:58 PM »
Jonathon, you have missed almost  nothing. Watts are an instantaneous measurement of power.

eg if you had one joule of energy, and released it in one millionth of a second, you would have 1MW or 1,000,000watts of power being used for that period of time.

If you released it in one second, you would have one watt of power being used for a second.

It takes 4.2 joules to heat one ml of water  1 degree C so not a lot of energy, but the extreme example above gives us an idea that power is an interesting thing.

Damon was having one of those days I think.

" and that watt hours are energy per hour.".... no....... watt hours are a measurement of energy.. ... and so energy x  time is power.
Watt hours  are power/ time = energy.

So watts= energy/time.........energy x time= watts.... and time = watts/energy....
.....I think..... maybe I'm having one of those days too....

...................oztules
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:44:41 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »
dammit..... can't edit it

"So watts= energy/time.........energy x time= watts.... and time = watts/energy...." is wrong.... we'll start again...

watts= energy / time
time= energy / watts
energy=watts x time

Think thats it this time.....

..............oztules

madlabs

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
Thanks Oz. Just checking...

JOnathan

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
I stand by my statement!  Watts are energy per unit time, ie power.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »
So I am having one of those days.....

Some how didn't read you correctly.

............oztules

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
hi there folks, been maybe a year since i checked in?

i always thought of a "watt" as being volt * amp, or rather 1 volt at 1amp = 1 watt,
i guess i never considered the "time" element!

so if i have 1 volt at 1 amp in a circuit, what unit of time do i have to have to consider the power in the circuit being 1 watt?

curious minds want to know and all that!
bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

mab

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
watts (power) = joules (energy) per second
amps= coulombs (charge) per second

so:

1volt * 1 amp = 1volt * 1 coulomb/sec  = 1 joule/sec = 1 watt

clear as mud. :)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
Watts are an instantaneous measurement. Watt hours are a time measurement.

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »
"i always thought of a "watt" as being volt * amp, or rather 1 volt at 1amp = 1 watt, "

Thats only always true if in a DC circuit....

In AC if  Pf=1...then yes...... otherwise, 1 volt x 1 amp = 1VA ( apparent power )

Watts equals real power..... or VA x Pf

So time does not count it is instantaneous measurement..... only if your trying to unravel energy, then divide energy by time to get the watts involved.

It all starts to get a little hazy here for me, as the reactive component I think of as stored energy(WxT)?? in the system, and so is not part of the watts, but part of the VA...... as VARS... and then it gets a bit ephemeral for me......... so it does not cost any power/watts to have poor VA, only in the transmission of it.......but here we can at least look at time(ing).

If anyone can explain VARS in simple to comprehend analogies.... I'm all for it.

...............oztules

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »
thanks folks

i assumed a DC circuit, yes i understand power factor and its consideration in AC circuits

however for the sake of a simple discussion of a watt lets stick with DC for now
or at least unity power factor in an AC circuit.

to me, a watt is one volt at one amp, instantaneous measurement

and watt/hour is one volt at one amp for the time period of one hour.

therefore my question remains,
when defining a watt, and using volts and amps in a DC circuit or volts and amps at unity power factor in an AC circuit,
where does the time element come into play.

remember i am talking about a simple watt, not a watt/hour or watt/minute, or a watt/second.

just got my attention, and it has been quite a while so maybe i have forgotten what i once thought i knew?

:)

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

mab

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »
I'm rather less sure I understand the question now, but..

when defining a watt, and using volts and amps in a DC circuit or volts and amps at unity power factor in an AC circuit,

There is a time element in the definition of a watt: a watt is a Joule per second; in the context of 1 volt * 1 amp = 1 watt, the time element comes from the 1 amp, as an amp is defined as a charge of 1 coulomb per second, passing a point in the circuit.

Rainwulf

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2018, 07:13:28 AM »
thanks folks

i assumed a DC circuit, yes i understand power factor and its consideration in AC circuits

however for the sake of a simple discussion of a watt lets stick with DC for now
or at least unity power factor in an AC circuit.

remember i am talking about a simple watt, not a watt/hour or watt/minute, or a watt/second.

just got my attention, and it has been quite a while so maybe i have forgotten what i once thought i knew?

:)

bob g

the watt has a time element only because the AMP is defined as charge per second. That charge per second also equals the current flowing through a 1 ohm resistor, at 1 volt. That also dissipates 1 watt.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
Not only the equations for the electrical power are simple. If a force F (N) is acting on a subject which is moving with a speed V (m/s), the power P is given by P = F * V (W). If a torque Q (nm) is acting on a subject which is rotating with an angular velocity omega (rad/s), the power is given by P = Q * omega (W). These equations become only complicated if you use pounds as force, miles per hour as speed and rotational speed in rpm.

Scruff

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »
Energy (Wh) can be stored, Power(W) cannot. Once you store Power it becomes Energy. Energy is also a record of Power used or generated.