Author Topic: Deep-Cell Battery/Solar setup  (Read 3891 times)

TheD1llonger

Deep-Cell Battery/Solar setup
« on: December 26, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
Howdy!
This is my first post...Like the forum
========>>>>>

I would like to hook up multiple deep-cells, charged by solar panels...

I need to be able to run/charge a computer, Ham radio, some power tools possibly (circular saw, table saw, charge cordless drill batts.) etc. for 24+ hours...

I want the nuts and bolts... ;)

We live near Houston Tx on 35 acres...we have good/great sunlight exposure...
ALSO constant wind; great area for wind power....would that be good to use for this project as well?

What Solar Panels would ya'll suggest? Deep-cells? Turbines?  ???

Cost is not the biggest obstacle; we want something that will hold up; require minimal repairs....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Deep-Cell Battery/Solar setup
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »
Your first step is to do an audit of all appliances you wish to use, hours of use, time of day use. Most renewable energy suppliers have on on their web site an audit sheet you can download, hopefully someone from your area will point you to one.

You already know you have good sun and wind, so once you know your energy requirements a system can be designed.

Allan in Far North Queensland OZ
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

kenl

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Are you planning on or off grid for your system?  As stated above a energy audit is the best place to start, try sunelec.com for pricing parts. I've yet to see anyone come close to their pricing for panels. They also have a very basic system sizer tool. Batteries I would try to source local and since its your first system go with wet cell deep cycle. AGM and gels don't like to be abused and are not very forgiving if they are.
 For a wind turbine that's a hard choice for me, I have not built a axial flux like most of the board members do. I use a F&P alt for my turbine and really don't get a lot of wind here to justify spending much on a turbine.
 I would check the link page and browse those web sites also. Builditsolar, windstuffnow, thebackshed and Hughs sites should be considered required reading along with Otherpower.
 Take your time and learn what you can so you make the right buying choices. Sometimes spending a little more up front saves you a lot down the road.

Best of luck and ask questions if you don't understand something, there are a lot of damn smart people here and most are more then willing to help or advise.

kenny
seemed like a good idea at the time

TheD1llonger

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:03 AM »
To answer the question: it would be used as if off-grid...(which we currently are, but not by choice; simply unable to get easement for elec. until recently)...long story  ::)

I dont know exactly what appliances I would need to use...

But in light of the current economic stuff going on, we want to be able to run a good variation of small devices...specifically, ham radio and computer.
This is supposed to be used as a safeguard against WHEN things get bad, and the electicity co. goes under...etc. etc. etc... :-\

That is why we want it to be low-maintainance  ;)

I was thinking along the lines of a DIY project.
Im not as interested in CONSERVING energy as much as HAVING it for necessities...
I would like to know how to do it myself, but that isnt an absolute must...

I mostly want to know the basic required system and components; Ball park recommendation for quantity of energy to produce: quantity and quality of batteries: amount of upkeep/installation labor and resources probablt required, etc.

But, could you give me a link to an audit you would recommend?

Thx

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »
from what i'm reading, it seems you want to get into a system that is fairly robust, and works, but isn't huge.  sounds like you'd be willing to run the washer only when the sun is shining ect. 

batteries are the anchor.  look for flooded lead acid.  trojan's are great, though kinda spendy.  the t-105's are a great start.  look, but don't buy on ebay, you can usually use the shipped cost of an ebay ad to get the dealer to match the price in town.  bring as many old car batteries with you as you can scrounge.  the dealer will either give you scrap per pound, or negate the core charges on your new batteries. 

system voltage is the next thing.  12v is fine for smaller systems, but the amps add up quickly!  familiarize yourself with watts=voltsXamps!!  i like 24v systems for medium sized stuff.  half the amps of a 12v system.  many larger systems are 48v, and not a bad route either.  1/4 the amps of a 12v system. 

sunelec.com has some really good panel pricing, but terrible customer service. 

as far as inverters and charge controllers, look for brands like morningstar, xantrex, outback, and my new personal favorite for MPPT solar controllers is rouge power tech.  they're made in oregon in an offgrid manufacturing spot and the price is right. 

and lastly read, read, read.  here and other spots.  sounds like you're getting ready to plunk down 5-10k on "stuff"  (yes, this "stuff" is expensive)  do it right the first time!!!

adam

kenl

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »
 Do a web search for "XW6048 installation manual" toward the back of the manual they have there is a good oneline diagram of what a system looks like showing all the parts and pieces for an off grid system. As for who's inverter etc you use that is a personal preference. I like the XW because it is a split phase inverter (you can run 240v with it) though Apollo solar now makes one also at a better price. To get split phase with out back inverters you would need 2 or you can go with a transformer after the inverter to get you 240vac. As stated above read, read and read more so you can be informed before you start buying parts. Its a lot cheaper to only do it once the right way then multiple times the wrong way (I know this from experience).

kenny

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:04:26 AM »
Does that Apollo have features like power blending like the XW series has?
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Isaiah

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
golf cart battery's are not a bad bang for the buck.
You want a battery that is comfortable with charge and discharge.
 Some of the marine and deep cycle are nothing more than a car battery with different posts and harder to reclaim.

kenl

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
Does that Apollo have features like power blending like the XW series has?

Not sure what your asking here. The Apollo is a off grid inverter and can have multiple power sources.

golf cart battery's are not a bad bang for the buck.
You want a battery that is comfortable with charge and discharge.
 Some of the marine and deep cycle are nothing more than a car battery with different posts and harder to reclaim.

I agree totally, they are very forgiving and easy to source locally. A decent forklift battery isn't a bad option either, good used ones can be found for a decent price if you keep an eye out.

kenny

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »
Nice rambling, you really should put ALL this in a diary of your own, others will like reading it as well.
I could move it over to the diary section if you want it just split and moved.
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard