Author Topic: Flash Boiler  (Read 3541 times)

ruddycrazy

Flash Boiler
« on: August 12, 2018, 03:56:02 AM »
G'day Guy's,
                    About 5 years ago I made this flash boiler then work got in the way and it got put in the corner never to be looked at again. Anyway this weekend I decided to drag it out and give it a run. The pic aint the best and I do a pic in better light once I get it plumbed up and the output sorted.

Now for the construction I used a 4" copper pipe for the housing and there is 63 turns of 3/8" copper pipe for the boiler section. The heating unit is a Bunnings cheap burner that uses $1 gas cans and later I'll make a burner that runs off wood gas which is another project. The 4-2" exhaust flue was my first attempt at making a frustum and I was glad it could be put to good use.

I made a 1" angle iron frame for it and used some ali from and old solar hot water panel to enclose it. Today I managed to stuff 4 off insulation panels in so when it's operating the unit will be cool to the touch.

I did convert a 5hp B&S motor into a 2 stroke and got it running on compressed air so the goal is to get this flash boiler to run it.

More to come in the near future as this project advances.

Cheers Bryan
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:00:03 AM by ruddycrazy »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Flash Boiler
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
Motor..to gen.?
WILD in ALASKA

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »

I moved this thread to the steam engine section 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:24:04 PM by JW »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:12:53 AM »
G'day Guy's,
                    Got the flash boiler finished this weekend so gave it run, the input water id gravity fed from my 5,000 gal rainwater tank and the lpg burner is that cast iron one where I had to make new jet to get  a clean burn. I need to get a new hose so I can plumb up the 5hp B&S engine so for todays trial I had a go at heating water. Had about 10 litres in a 25 liter pot so setup a temp gauge and threw the hose in. The water was 18C and after about 1/2 an hour it was 63C

https://youtu.be/S3map5NYS5g

Cheers Bryan

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »
Looks good Ruddy,

Always nice to see some steam being generated. Have you got any plans for the engine. Ive seen a lot of small engines modified using double cam lobes.

swarakulkarni

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 12:36:29 AM »
Got the glimmer heater completed this end of the week so gave it run, the info water id gravity sustained from my 5,000 lady water tank and the lpg burner is that solid metal one where I needed to make new fly to get a perfect consume. I have to get another hose so I can plumb up the 5hp B&S motor so for todays preliminary I had a go at warming water. Had around 10 liters in a 25 liter pot so setup a temp check and tossed the hose in. The water was 18C and after around 1/2 an hour it was 63C.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:20:22 AM »
Very interesting swarakulkarni. We would like to see pictures of your projects.

You can post pictures after you have 10 posts.

Welcome to the Forum.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »
There is no requirement for posting pictures, just on posting links, and that is after 20 posts. If your picture is remotely hosted it would be considered a link however.