Author Topic: A few of my special tools some home made  (Read 2394 times)

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
A few of my special tools some home made
« on: September 24, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
I thought that I might share a few of my special tools that I sometimes use.
 First up is a 12 ft wide 15 ft tall A frame gantry I made to lift a 26,000 lb lathe

the lathe 56" swing at the chuck 11ft between the centers 36" swing over the carriage threads from 1/4 thread per inch to 36 threads per inch 15 RPM to 280 RPM
12272-1
6 quill drill press 3 Hp each motor continuous variable speed ")" to 2800 RPM #4 MT.

Cincinnati #3 Horizontal Mill
12274-3
 Hydraulic sheet metal roll. I made it to roll up to  4 ft sheets of 3/16" stainless
12275-4
12276-5
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

Re: A few of my special tools some home made
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
More
 A baby lathe 12x36 Sheldon I was amazed at how good shape it was in when I got it 1 1/2 Hp 1200 RPM max and threads from 4TPI to 320 threads per inch Never seen anything with threads smaller than 120 TPI but OH well.
12278-0
home made ring roller
12279-1
my plasma machine

LeBlond lathe 17' x 56"
12281-3
ceramic tile saw

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

MattM

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:26:38 PM »
Oh man, now you're just showing off! ;)

I cannot even begin to imagine your power bill.

Frank S

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »
Oh man, now you're just showing off! ;)

I cannot even begin to imagine your power bill.
I have a lot of machines that are not even hooked up yet so my energy usage is not all that much
 for my 3 ph stuff right now I am running that on a rotary phase converter. but it is too small to run any or the larger stuff.
I have a couple of 8 hp 3 ph motors and a couple of 3 & 5 hp 3 ph motors which I need to build a larger rotary converter from but I need to get a boat load of caps to make them correctly.
 My little 2 hp converter is a shabby store bought one that came with one of my lathes all they did was add a single cap to start it and didn't bother with run caps to balance the 3rd leg voltage. so the lathe runs sluggish when hogging off parts but is I switch on the mill and just let it run as a secondary idler the lathe has more power the 3rd leg is still not balanced properly but the amperage draw is closer to the other 2 on the lathe.
 What I will do when I build a new converter will be to wire up 2 ,3 or possibly even as many as 4 idlers in parallel starting only those required for the machine to be ran with the correct amount of caps the voltages amperages and degree of phase separation can be achieved. Which will actually require lower line amperages to be consumed.
 But when the power company installed a new pole and rerouted my incoming service away from being ran over my roof I had them hang a 000 quad line. Then once I get my shop built all they will have to do is hang a second transformer on their pole and I'll mount a 3 ph meter base on my building. I have 3 ph panels mounted in the 53 ft container which will serve as a semi climate controlled room for some of the machines. So I could go a head and hang a meter base now but don't want a 2nd electric bill just now. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 12:16:21 AM »
Shop envy   :-[

You shouldn't post this. 
You're gonna get a dozen guys showing up on your doorstep with "projects" they need your help with!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Harold in CR

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »
You have some serious (toys) tools, Frank. Can't imagine the use in a very sparsely populated area.