Author Topic: DC motor options, please advice in them  (Read 2697 times)

GBFChick

DC motor options, please advice in them
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
New to this and after collecting all matterials we have a wide variety of motors to start with, I would like ot get opinions on them. We plan on using all of them for different wind projects over time, but would like to know if others have any experience with them. Thanks!
We have a fairly good sized 1. General Elec. DC Motor weighs about 22#   model # 5Bcd56CB141 @ 525 RPMs  V: 45A/45F  A: 4 4A/1.73F
and it says for HP 20in.LBS
another big one 2. Indiana General about 20#....48 Volt 30 amps @ 865 RPMs
3. Indiana General 24 V 75A 1200RPM
4. Indiana General 24 V 2400RPM
5. we have a few different Ametek motors, a 30V a 50V and an unknown (the tag doesnt give any info but the part #
lastly 6. Not even sure how to read this one, think its French it says Moteurs Bertrand 300w  Type: APS

thanks for any advice or opinions you can give us on any of the motors we listed (we have many more but I figured this is a good starting place.

madlabs

Re: DC motor options, please advice in them
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
Well, for power production the one with highest volts and lowest RPM. Not quite sure of the specs for your General Electric one, is that 45V and 4 amps? That seems low for a 20# motor. Second choice would be the Indiana Electric.

Jonathan

GBFChick

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
thanks for a reply, I didnt think I was going to get any.
Wondering if I asked the wrong question or something, well anyways, we got carried away collecting motors for wind projects so now we are just going to start listing the extra on ebay. Hope they will sell like people seem to think they will

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »
if it were me, i'd chuck each one into a drill and spin them up while connected to a car battery (with blocking diode).  which ever one fights back the hardest (hardest to keep on the bench from the torque) is most likely the best one. 

if you really want to get fancy, put a rpm gauge on them and an amp meter.  then put a volt meter on the battery.  then you can get watts at given rpms.  with this information, folks here can give you a much better idea of what could be your next step. 

a pile of motors is just that, though there may be a winner in the batch.  it's near impossible to tell unless you "bench test" them. 

adam

GBFChick

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »
thanks for the info on how to bench test the motors. Looks like i have a busy night ahead of me....maybe DH will be up for a new project.
Anywayz, thanks for the valuable information on how to test them, we have all the needed gadgets to get them bench tested so away we go!

thanks!!!!