Author Topic: Trying to use a GE ECM motor as a bicycle powered generator  (Read 10404 times)

thorbm

Trying to use a GE ECM motor as a bicycle powered generator
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:28:17 PM »
Hello,
I'm trying to use a GE ECM motor as a bicycle powered generator. I pulled the motor off an air conditioning unit (indoor blower) and removed the electronic control module from the back. It is rated at 1 hp and puts out 3 phase ac when the shaft is turned. I can post a pic of the specs if needed. I want to charge a 12 v battery or a portable power pack with an inverter. I used three rectifiers to turn the 3 phase ac into dc, but I am trying to figure out how to convert the dc voltage into a constant 12 or 14 v to charge the battery. I'm not sure what kind of rpm's I will get when it is connected to a bicycle, but I can get 140 volts by using a drill to turn the shaft. Just turning the shaft by hand easily generates 10 v dc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:32:22 PM by thorbm »

richhagen

Re: Trying to use a GE ECM motor as a bicycle powered generator
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I know that Norm built one with an ECM motor, I think he uses the bike tire to spin a 4 inch wheel on his ECM edge to edge, or something like that, but there are a few varieties of ECM's out there and I don't know which he has.  I know you want to be in the 50-100 Watt generation range when your crank is going at a comfortable speed, so an acceptable range of gear ratio can be calculated for your motor.  Rich

A recent thread on pedgen's:
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,145702.msg1000286.html#msg1000286
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

thorbm

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »
 Thanks for the advice and the link to that discussion about the pedgen. Great info. I don't know why I didn't think about just adjusting the ratio to make the rpm's right for the voltage I want, duh. I just started experimenting with this stuff. I also just figured out that I don't have to use all three legs of the ac if I want less voltage. Right? Also, on the pedgen discussion I saw that Norm recommended using a second, fully charged 12v battery to regulate the voltage. So I could just run my + and - dc outputs from the bridge rectifiers to a fully charged 12v lead acid battery then attach a 12v car adapter to that battery and plug it in to the charging recepticle on the power pack?

Thanks,
Thor

dave ames

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:30:39 AM »
.... So I could just run my + and - dc outputs from the bridge rectifiers to a fully charged 12v lead acid battery then attach a 12v car adapter to that battery and plug it in to the charging recepticle on the power pack?

Not sure on your power pack,..most seem to have enough battery (10-20AH) to let us feed right in.

Mine, an overpriced Xpower 400+ has a 20AH battery and will take all the power available from any PedGen with me at the pedals ::)

Charging receptacle: This one has a barrel connection port for charging and it's only rated to take 2.5A max input.

Might be best to feed the power pack through the lighter plug or into the jumper cable port...human charge control seems to work well here..simply monitor the voltage and stop when you think it's done.  :-* I believe you would deserve an award if you are ever able to get yourself into any overcharging trouble. :o  (with any reasonable sized battery)

Dropping Phases: Plenty of room to have fun here after you figure out your comfortable pedaling speeds and any gearing..could do two levels of physical resistance/power output settings or three with some minor surgery and one or two toggles. Some good results have been had with adjustable PWM control, if you care to go that route. ;)

It's all good fun!
Cheers, dave

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:36:06 AM by dave ames »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »
It would be a good idea to individually rectify the phases.  (IRP or 'Jerry Rig')
Higher efficiency means more battery charging with less sweat.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »
I know that Norm built one with an ECM motor, I think he uses the bike tire to spin a 4 inch wheel on his ECM edge to edge, or something like that, but there are a few varieties of ECM's out there and I don't know which he has.  I know you want to be in the 50-100 Watt generation range when your crank is going at a comfortable speed, so an acceptable range of gear ratio can be calculated for your motor.  Rich

A recent thread on pedgen's:
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,145702.msg1000286.html#msg1000286

Here is my latest and last using a solid rubber tire .....11 inch dia. solid connection
sprocket (no coaster brake ).....1 to 2.25 ratio from crank to the wheel....4 inch razor type scooter wheel on the ECM shaft .....so overall ratio from crankshaft to ECM shaft.....
about 1:8.
Any more information I will be happy to go into detail ....this setup allows me to charge
12 volt batteries at a 2.5 amp rate all with more ease than walking !
Norm

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
My last pedgen project used a treadmill motor along with a 12v 15.6ah NiCd battery pack.
I built this with the intention of selling it so I installed a ghurd controller to mind the charge process of the NiCd but I'd have to agree with dave ames...

"Most" people are not going to have to worry about overcharging lead at anything over 20ah.

thorbm

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
Thanks guys. Great info. I'll put a pic up as soon as it's finished. I'm trying to use only salvaged materials so it's taking a little time.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:51:37 AM »
There is not enough information to give a great reply.

I think I could disagree with a few statements... Devil's advocate kind of thing.

It goes back to what I sad about "Higher efficiency means more battery charging with less sweat."

Most ped-gens are horrible in the efficiency department.
Thats due to horribly inefficient PMAs.  Tiny (cheap) PMA motors, etc.
Some cheap tiny PMAs actually make less power at higher RPM.

"1 hp" ECM.
It will be a LOT more efficient than most typical ped-gens, but doing an output wiring reconfiguration will make it more efficient.

"I can get 140 volts"
Yes, because it makes voltage in that configuration, but less amps.
For a 12V system it is not as efficient as it should be.

"I want to charge a 12 v battery or a portable power pack with an inverter"
That means the system has a little battery, which is SLA?
Really want to try to keep an SLA at no more than 13.8V, for a short time maybe 13.9V (IMHO).

"a portable power pack with an inverter"?
Most of those have tiny batteries.
Try not to charge the battery faster than about 20% of the capacity, or the battery voltage will get crazy, and the SLA will suffer an early death.

Combined, lets say you can pedal 50W for 30 minutes.  That's over 3.6A, minimum.
The last couple portable battery do-hickies I had contained a 7AH-class SLA battery.  3.6A is >C/2.
That situation would be bad for the battery.

For example, a 7AH battery being charged with a 5W nominal solar panel, will go over-voltage in a short time.
It will not be fully charged.  It will only be damaging itself from excessive voltage.

The 1 hp ECM is great for a ped-gen.  Ask Norm!

The proposed battery is too small.

I would recommend reworking the ECMs wiring connections to IRP, and getting a bigger battery.

Might find something interesting here, but re-working a 1 HP for a ped-gen is less complicated,
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/ghurd1/ECM%20Conversion/

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
 Thorbm,

The 1 hp ECM is great for a ped-gen.  Ask Norm!

I plugged the little Burton coffee maker (12 volt) into
the  deep cycle battery .....paralleled the PedGen(ECM) with it....flipped the
coffee maker switch and started pedaling ....looking at the digital bike meter
I noted the elapsed time that I had already pedaled this morning, 33.45 min.
2 minutes and I heard the gurgle of coffee starting to perk and the smell of
fresh coffee brewing.
  10 minutes later (elapsed time....43 minus 33.45 = 10) and I had a fresh cup of coffee, I had pedaled the walking
equivalent of .5 of a mile had that wheel been touching the ground I would
have been going 3.2 MPH. with less effort than walking.

Hooking to a 75 amp/hr battery allowed me to just assist the battery in brewing
the coffee....then I got caught up to the other half of what the battery had
used after the cup was made and enjoying the coffee while I continued to
pedal leisurely.

This ECM has great potential.....only limited to the power of the person/s
turning it !

Norm :)

rain1224

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
Wow,you are wonderful man to make such invention!

REdiculous

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
My last pedgen project used a treadmill motor along with a 12v 15.6ah NiCd battery pack.

...pics/video or it didn't happen! :P

I was thinking about doing that but then I figured a treadmill motor is overkill unless you can get 3 or 4 people to pedal it. A 250w pocket bike motor is all you really need for a pedgen, and treadmill motors belong on pocket bikes.....imho, of course. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:53:16 PM by REdiculous »
☣☠☢

zap

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »

...pics/video or it didn't happen! :P

I was thinking about doing that but then I figured a treadmill motor is overkill unless you can get 3 or 4 people to pedal it. A 250w pocket bike motor is all you really need for a pedgen, and treadmill motors belong on pocket bikes.....imho, of course. :)

The story's here:
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,130346.msg848765.html#msg848765
but it appears this site's software change buggered up some of the pictures.  I don't really have the time right now to try and fix the story.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
ZAP;
Yeah it's really messed more than a few .
BUT the pretty pic of the NiCd battery pack in intact  ;D towards the bottom of the postings.
How is it doing? still chugging along?
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

zap

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »
BUT the pretty pic of the NiCd battery pack in...
They are kind of cute aren't they ;D

How is it doing? still chugging along?
Bruce S
Not much time for that lately.