Author Topic: 5Kw or 30KW?  (Read 41563 times)

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Re: 5Kw or 30KW?
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
looks like time to get a gauss meter  I know of 2 or 3 places here that might possibly handle them
 If I find one I probably won't have much to choose from as far as brands go.
 hopefully I can find one in the $3 to 500.00 range  hopefully I can find a FW Bell , Kanetec or Fluke
 If I can find a Fluke distributor with a service department maybe I can an new probe for my Fluke 52 temperature meter 
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
"there will be a bright flash and pieces that are as sharp as razor blades head towards anything made of steel at velocities exceeding the speed of light."
of course once that happens a particle singularity forms
immediately  a gravity well will open up and time begins to go backwards.
your gonna be late for dinner!

Frank S

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
Frans thanks but if  I don't find what  I need here locally I'll have to wait until I relocate back to TX or make a special trip to Europe.
 If we leave here sometime late Feb or maybe early April the likely hood of what ever I were to order getting here before we were ready to ship our stuff would be doubtful. especially if there is a local distributor the product might arrive in 10 days or less then most likely it would get caught up in customs while they decided if there is a local agent if it turned out that there was I would have to pay them their mark up.It is crazy the way some things run here. That's one of the reasons my co partner makes up to a 100 trips a year all over the world in search of companies he can represent
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
"there will be a bright flash and pieces that are as sharp as razor blades head towards anything made of steel at velocities exceeding the speed of light."

I'm half tempted to take a section of 96" concrete culvert stand it up and build  an atom smasher or make that a magnet smasher if I had a couple of high speed cameras and could build a blast protection for them it would almost be worth smashing a magnet just to see it time actually did slow down inside the chamber

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
I read somewhere where DARPA is experimenting with some kind of magnetic field drive where the vehicle would theoretically be constantly be being pulled by a magnetic field being generated and projected buy the vehicle, way,way over my head.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »

The last time I had that happen I could've swore that when the portal opened that I saw an alien on the other side looking at me.  But it was just for a brief instant so I can't be sure.  I also got the distinct impression that whatever I saw there thought I was good to eat, so I'm glad the portal closed right away before it got thru   :o

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/mag-portals.html
--
Chris
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:52:33 PM by ChrisOlson »

Frank S

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2013, 04:31:22 AM »
 Chris  I'm not totally convinced in that guys summation  that these portals are all located way out in space around the planet unless there is from time to time a convergence here on the surface.
 My wife will swear that one of these is permanently attached to me. When she used to work in my machine shop in TX on numerous occasions she witnessed me laying something on a work bench then turn my back and walk away only to have it disappear. I would look for it later only to find it was nowhere to be found maybe 2 days or a month later it might turn up or maybe not.
 I have always had a thing about every thing needs a place and every place needs a thing sometimes 2 or 3 things.
 I'm thinking maybe I may be going about this generator thing all wrong.
 maybe what I should be concentrating on is constructing a sfera-con-sfera the inner sphere having the magnets arranged in such a way that no 2 share the same polar direction the outer sphere the outer sphere much the same way but with 33 % more magnets  encased in a polyhedron of coils connected to a collector array with a microwave transmitter, then launched into space to be placed near to  the focal point of one of those MMS. Then once each day when it passed over my place it would beam a burst of energy to my receiving unit to be stored in a huge slow discharge capacitor  If it were built large enough the possible 10 to 15 % efficiency should be enough to provide me with a few KWh  per day

Sorry  I need to steer this back to  some semblance of a wind turbine thread or the mods will be wanting to move it to the pub.
   I should be able to pick up all of  my magnets today now the question is going to how best to package for long term storage.
 I don't want to just leave them piled hither dither and yon in a huge box so should I construct a special wooden cubical packaging for them and remove them from their mountings or make cubical s for the assemblies as they are maybe whacking the handles off to save some space remember with over 160 individual magnets  I could be looking at 2 or 3 years before I would use all of them up if ever
 the assemblies are about 5" by 7" by 1 1/4" thick with a single pipe handle welded to the back about 6" long
 I am not opposed to spending the time to construct a proper long term storage unit even welding up a thick steel, aluminum or stainless steel box to place that in 

Frank S

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2013, 06:25:10 AM »
 I just got back with my haul of magnets the back of my trailblazer in officially stronger that the Earth's magnetic field. I can safely say this because a guy drove past me banging on his dash mounted compass with a confused and perplexed look on his face
it turns out I didn't get 40 assemblies after all. I wound up with a total of 50 for my $450.00
 but at least 5 of the assemblies look like they only have 2 blocks in them all of the rest you can spot four particle trails on them

Now I've got to do something with them. If I unload the min the factory my 30 to 40 year old children working there will cause them to evaporate faster than a snow cone in August

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
Did anybody ever try putting a neo close to a TV screen? It's pretty wild man.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »
When she used to work in my machine shop in TX on numerous occasions she witnessed me laying something on a work bench then turn my back and walk away only to have it disappear.

I've had a lot of stuff in the shop disappear into them portals and never see it again.  One of the most troubling things that disappeared was my Cummins fuel pump wrench that has special bends in it to get to the bolts to get the fuel pump and air compressor off a 855.  I was working on one and got it all back together and my wrench disappeared into one of those portals.

Thankfully, a few days later I found another wrench just like it that somebody else had dropped out in the driveway.
--
Chris

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »
I was warned to keep my creditcard away from Neos.
Next day in the food-supermarket, bingo.  Creditcard deleted.

- Frans -

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
I was warned to keep my creditcard away from Neos.
Next day in the food-supermarket, bingo.  Creditcard deleted.

Yes, and then shortly thereafter the world plunged into financial chaos.  We sure wish you hadn't done that, Frans   :o
--
Chris

Frank S

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
Chris my Snap-on dealer used to ask me why I would buy 4 or 4 of the exact same wrenches. I told him I was going to heat them up and bend them into a usable wrench
 So one day I showed him my collection of special bent wrenches in sizes from 5/16 for getting to a dodge brake bleeder valve to 1 1/8" for tightening a motor mount bolt on a D8G.
 He asked why not use less expensive wrenches to make my special tools out of.
 What? and destroy a perfectly good Man wrench made by Gray Tool or Proto only snap-off was thin and girly shaped enough to fit in some of those places.
He didn't like me much but I spent 1000s of dollars with him every year so why should he care

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Them Snap-On Cummins fuel pump wrenches come already factory pre-bent for the job.  A good Snap-On dealer has 'em right in the truck.  There is no other wrench known to man that can get to the top inside bolt on a Cummins 855 fuel pump.
--
Chris

Frank S

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
Chris I'm sure my Snap-on dealer hated me all the way to the bank but then again so did the Mac tools guy, Cornwell, WW Grainger OTC LS Starret and all the rest When I arrived in Kuwait I had tons of hand tools, special tools and Machinist tools  some I had owned for 30 years even some that my dad bought back in the 50s even some old blacksmith tongs that Clarence Ward made in the 20s. Now I doubt seriously if there are enough of my original tools left in the factory to fill a small top box let alone the 4 roll cabs I had.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
Yeah Frank, there's some of those tools you can't even get any more.  Like the cable drive allen wrench to adjust the points on the old GM distributors thru the little slide-up door on the distributor cap.  If you want to see your Snap-On guy scratch his head for awhile tell him you need one of those and see if he even knows what you're talking about.

On storing them magnets, you want to stack them north to south with spacers in between each one.  Make stacks of about 10 magnets in each stack, arrange the stacks in rows so the N on one row is exposed and the south on the next row is exposed.  This builds a "slab" of magnets.  Then wrap each "slab" in bubble wrap, then pack them in a box that is the exact size of the wrapped "slabs" and put a piece of sheet metal over the ends.  This pretty much cancels any of the flux that can leak out and cause problems with the box sticking to stuff during shipping.
--
Chris

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
i went that route with cheap wrenches from harbor freight for benders
i bought a set of their Vnotch wrenches and put them on my service truck.

it wasn't till i used them (abused them) for about a year that i came up to a time that i needed to heat and bend a wrench to fit some bastard application, and when faced with doing so to the cheap HF wrench i just couldn't do it!

those wrenches had never offered to bend, slip, or break, the chrome never offered to peal or tarnish, and they feel great in my hands, so i just couldn't do it!

i ended up doing in an old cornwell wrench.

some time later, while faced with trying to removed a cummins starter bolt, (upper inside) and not being able to get an extension and socket on the damn thing, i went at it with a combination wrench and  a 4 ft cheater pipe (which i thought adequate given the distance back up under the truck cab...

turned out the bolt was seized in the aluminum flywheel housing, and i had to really stand on that cheater just to get it to start to break loose,,,, strain/cuss/pop.... ok its loose.... ya right!   broke the wrench

being an old mac wrench i wasn't too alarmed, so i grabbed my snapon combination wrench, stuck it back in the hole and went at it again... same result a broken box end of the wrench...

an armstrong wrench didn't break but bent to the point of being useless

this left me with going to the Harbor Freight Vnotch combination wrench... 4 hours later the bolt was out and i looked at what was left of a horribly abused wrench... the end was tweaked about 10 degree's in the direction of my pulling it, the 12 pts looked like they had some crushing, but not too bad, and the plating although dented  was not pealing....

i was amazed,  for about the same cost of one snap on combination wrench i bought the complete 14 piece set from harbor freight, and they just friggin work. 

so how is one to want to take a torch to a tool that did what appeared to be an impossible job.

btw. the local snapon guy really didn't want to hear about this story, nor would i expect mac or cornwell would either, armstong? who knows.

there are some things the chinese do very well, and those v notch wrenches are in my opinion one they do very very well.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Frank S

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »
Chris I doubt very seriously if the Snap-on guy even knew that cars used to have points  A story often told me by my Grandpa was.When my dad worked for CD Shaffer in Austin back in the 50s he cut a 1/4" drive Cornwell extension in half then brazed a short piece of heavy speedometer flex shaft to it  the cornwell guy said you ought to get a patent on that. Pop asked him what for no one but me would ever be smart enough to know they need one.
 Bob I hear you I've found that after you get above 2" for combination wrenches most of the time less expensive ones do just as well as  Brand name.
 The truth is there are different brands that will work better in some places than others for the feel in my hands I much preferred the finish and shape of Proto or even the thickness of craftsman over Snap-on I could pull on a Snap-on long 3/4" hard enough to cut through a pair of drivers gloves
 in 79 Snap-on came out with what had to be the best screw driver in history the triangle grip I liked those so much that  I bought 4 sets of them and still had 5 of those drivers when I came over here.
  Thanks Chris I'll cut up some wood spacers and do that it will be far better than having them tossed together like they are
 I found the maker of them they were made in MI by Storch magnetics 

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »
thats what always pissed me off with tool manufactures

if they sell it, it is the best thing since sliced bread, if they don't its the biggest pos ever conceived.

case in point,  sk wayne (yes '62-'69) patented a elliptical head ratchet, very awkward learning how to use it, but damn near indispensable after you learn too use it... snap on would laugh at them, and there were many idiots that traded them in for flex heads which never did what the sk ratchet would.... i used to buy them for 5 bucks each from snapon so they could get them off their trucks...   fast forward 30 some odd years and guess what?  everyone and his dog builds that ratchet now including snap on.

then my biggest complaint, a tool company comes out with an excellent tool, then they alter it, and then they discontinue it!  crazy!  mac tools made a set of bolster shank screw drivers back in the 70's that were better than anything on the market,   they changed the handles to ergo crap, and then discontinued them.  proto built the #234 pliers which is the best compound leverage plier ever made, but they discontinued them years ago... i buy them when i can find a nice example on ebay often for about 30bucks delivered.

snapon makes pretty stuff, i will give them that, however i am convinced they thin the shank of their wrenches in the knowledge that it will limit the amount of torque applied to them by the user, because to overdo it will result in broken blood vessles or tendon damage.

i agree, proto is a nice compromise in this area, thicker than snapon, but thinner than craftsman used to be. (and may still be)...

the HF Vnotch wrench is more on the line of a proto in that it is thicker than a snapon, and the edge is better shaped being a bit more squared. they feel pretty darn good in the hand and you don't get the feeling you are going to cut yourself using them when things get really tough.

now that i have retired from hd mechanic work, i am an avid collector of NOS tools, particularly those from the sk wayne years '62-69 and from the predepression hinsdale tool company.

then there is all the wood working tools,

a quality tool is a real thing of beauty, and doubly so if it actually does what it was intended to do and do it well.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Frank S

« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
back in the 70s while in Germany I bought a set of Hazzet sockets still have at least 1 German made and had a nice knurling around them Still today in their catalog their sockets have that knurling
 How many times in your life have you found yourself spinning the socket  instead of pulling the ratchet because the nut or bolt was just at that blister tightness  not enough to use the ratchet on but not free enough to remove by hand?
 Craftsmen wrenches were good but sometimes too bulky to get into tight places but more comfortable for me to really get a grip on
I used to have a Giller double offset 1/2- 9/16" that I carried in my pocket it was perfect for adjusting the slack adjusters the shape of the offset was just enough to allow you to place it on upside down and pull the detent down instead of having to push it down sometimes on the Siebert trailers you could hardly get your hand on a regular combination box end due to the closeness to the suspension arm but that little double offset  would give you just that much more room  it really came in handy when you needed to back off the brakes while chained up  on top of Snowqualime running outlaw because inclimate weather voided your permits 

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »

Cool - maybe you can email them a picture of one of those things and they can tell you exactly what they are for magnets.  Then you know the strength and don't have to buy a gauss meter to figure it out.
--
Chris

Frank S

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »

Cool - maybe you can email them a picture of one of those things and they can tell you exactly what they are for magnets.  Then you know the strength and don't have to buy a gauss meter to figure it out.
--
Chris
Yep I've already thought of  that. what I didn't think of until it was too dark  was to single out that one and pic it by itself with the ID tag but there is tomorrow if the world doesn't stop rotating  because my trailblazer is creating a third magnetic pole all of its own
 as far as not needing to buy a gauss meter or a magnetometer as I see it, it is just another tool
 with my goofy ideas for generator designs a good one could tell me a lot should I build any of them
 What would you think this could be turned into and what might it be worth

the guy wants 2 K for it and the control booth

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
That'd be handy, get a metal sliver in your finger turn that summitch on and pull it out, I had to go for an MRI once, got there and they asked what kind of work I do, "Steel fabrication" did you have your eyes xrayed? WTF? I had to have em xrayed because if there was a piece of metal in there the MRI would pull it out, I'm like i'm pretty sure I'd know if I had metal in my eye.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
It looks like a big toilet seat to me. Maybe you could figure out a way to use the stuff inside it to heat it and put it in a Texas Outhouse.  I'll be nobody's got a outhouse with a heated seat.
--
Chris

Frank S

« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:14 PM »
ROFL From what I've heard those Older GE MRI units had about a ton of aluminum in them I'm wondering how much copper is in one and what gauge it would be. I could barely see one of the coils inside it looked to be about the size of a 10 qt milk pail
 he is asking $2000.00 for it but I'm not ready to offer a 1/4 of that unless I know that  I could scrap it out for some usable stuff and sell the excess garbage

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2013, 02:57:12 AM »
Looks like a CT xray scanner to me, MRI would be a tube that is body length.

Frank S

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
Maybe that is what it is CT MRI or what ever I know I don't get near them when they are working because of a piece of shrapnel  lodged near my heart
 Like Chris said it looks like a big toilet seat there's not a DR on this planet who would be able to get me to stick my head or body in one of those while I'm conscious .
 The question is does it have anything inside usable. At $2K he will keep it until it is covered with the desert sand  if it has  a ton of aluminum 500lbs of copper and 800lbs  of steel all as scrap it is $300.00 to me because the amount of labor to break it up it would barley yield a profit if I couldn't use any of it to make something . Then there is the question of disposal of anything hazardous.
 A few years ago I bought an early dental X ray machine for the mounting brackets to make a telescope. it cost me more to have the parts that produce radiation checked and disposed of than I could have machined the parts that I wanted       

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »
CT is safe with shrapnel and hunks of metal in the body. I will be having an implant in my lower spine to try to block the constant leg pain and after it is CT scan only, no MRI's.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
What about titanium alloys? My new shoulder is something like that, is it ferrous metals or all metals?

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
Is that CT the same thing as a "cat scan"?  Our grandkids got ahold of my wife's big yellow tom cat, lugged the cat into the office and put in on the desktop scanner because they said the cat was sick and needed a cat scan.  They were taking care of the cat and doctoring it.  One of them pressed a button on that scanner and it came to life.  That cat went straight up and when it came down its legs where going at least 200 mph.  Haven't seen that cat since.
--
Chris

Frank S

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »
Chris my wife went to the clinic a few years back with a bad sinus & ear infection and they told her she should get a cat scan. She said we don't have a cat couldn't we use a dog scan instead.
 A couple of weeks ago I had to go in for my stress test since it had been 4 months since they installed the stint the orderly  started hooking up a hundred wires to my chest I asked her what the heck are all of these wires for?
 For your ECG she said.
 Well OK but I didn't come here for another one of those I had a dozen of them while I was waiting to get my stint why not just look in my file and use one of them? I thought I was here to go for a fast walk on your  moving side walk  machine that doesn't go anywhere.
 She laughed a little then calmly said but we need to know how your heart is doing today.
  I imagine it is doing just fine I had to park a mile away from here and climb 5 flights of stairs to get to this room I was running a little late so I had to run most of the way, I stopped just outside and lit my pipe.  Your Pipe the Doctor at the control  asked?
 Yes I didn't have much of a smoking problem before my stay in the hospital but I'm trying to quit smoking  anyway and those dang drugs you prescribed only make me want cigarettes, so a few puffs on a pipe and I'm good for several hours without it Id probably be up to 5 packs a day by now
 He about passed out when he heard that. 

Frank S

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

--
Chris
Like many things I get busy and put them off Finally actually got around to Re emailing The Storch company today the first one never went through for some reason
 it took only a few hours to receive a reply

" Hello, the 4 blocks on the inside of the unit are neodymium iron boron grade 40 and nickel plated.
Mark Schiller   mschiller@storchmagnetics.com
www.storchmagnetics.com                     
Storch Magnetics / Storch Products Co., Inc.                 
11827 Globe Road                                             ISO 9001; 2000 & WBENC Certified
Livonia MI 48150                                                Magnetic Solutions Since 1952
Assisting companies to increase their Productivity, Safety & Profitability                   
Magnets, Magnetic Components, Magnetic Equipment & Value added services of Precision Laser Cut Sheet Metal Fabrications!
Ph; 734/591-2200 ext. # 327         Fax; n/a email mschiller@storchmagnetics "

So I guess that answers once and for all what I have a total of 188 NEO 40 magnets 2"x2"x1"
 Too cool !!!