Author Topic: another mppt  (Read 10821 times)

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
another mppt
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
been a long time since i wrote my thoughts on load matching
and not wanting to hijack the thread on open source mppt, i decided to post a new thread.

it has been expressed that i don't contribute anything but criticism, so hopefully this will allay those thoughts, and something productive might result?

here is my thinking on the subject

we start with a generator that can produce 60hz starting at cut in, to do this we either need many more poles than typical or a gear train, or possibly both. we then wind the stator for ~140vac 3 phase again at cut in windspeed. that speed might be something on the order of 8mph or so.

given such a generator we can then build up a 3phase transformer pack using salvaged ups transformers, many of which are based on 120/24 volt in this country and 230-240/24volt in other countries.

such transformers are fairly efficient, well built and can handle up to about a khz before the efficiency starts to fall off, this makes them useful as the wind speed increases and the hz raises.

so now we have a basic load/impedance matching scheme in place.

we then rectify the secondaries of the transformer pack, and feed it to
the switching module which uses pwm to control the resultant DC to the batteries. a controlled rectifier scheme could be used.

the pwm unit is controlled by a microcontroller, which has inputs from the battery voltage, battery temperature, amps going to the battery, also
inputs from the generator head, hz/rpm, windspeed from a sensor, stator temperature and whatever else might be needed.

we get around not having to do the buck converter in lieu of the step down transformer which by virtue of a better load match will likely provide nearly as much as a buck converter anyway in real gains. the alternator is then allowed to run at higher efficiencies without being clamped to the batteries.

we could even simplify the system if we were to do some testing of the alternator and get accurate operation parameters from it. knowing exactly where it needs to run (wind speed/tsr and rpm/hz vs volts, amps) we could then determine in short order the max power point for the unit being tested.

given that information on the max power point of the generator, we could substitute the pwm module and the microcontroller with a controller from balmar, xantrex, amplepower, sterling etc which are programmable and about bullet proof. these controller have amp managers, monitor voltage, amps, battery and alternator tempertures,  are switch activated programmable for all the battery technologies, and a temperature compensated for proper battery charging.

it seems to me that with the higher cost of neo's, coupled with the work folks are doing with ceramic magnet alternators, gear drives etc. it would follow that an increase in pole count, and much higher voltage machines would not be hard to do.

finally there would have to be a provision for dump load, or some means of shutting down the machine as the batteries top off and in high wind conditions of course.

the use of transformer for increasing alternator efficiency, and load matching is something that has been tested successfully in the automotive world. as well as buck/boost converters, mppt versions etc.
all with increased efficiency and higher output power.

no reason it can't be adapted to windgenerators that i can see?

fwiw
bob g
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:00:08 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: another mppt
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:11:28 PM »
Bob g
The other post aside. For those of us who for the time being, cannot put up a 'mill.
What would be a good matching Alky powered 4-stroker hp be?
I would normally go with a diesel unit but, the last 200gals US of my settled oil and 45gals of Bio-D leave me this Saturday  :-(. Since I still refine Alky from carb/sugar based renewables, this would be interesting to try.
I certainly have available both 24Vdc-120Vac APC units as well as 12Vdc-120Vac smallish units.
I still enjoy reading about the Alt rebuilds :-)
Cheers;
Bruce S 
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
Bruce:

"What would be a good matching Alky powered 4-stroker hp be?"

i am not clear what it is your asking? are you asking what engine?

thanks
bob g
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
bob g;
Sorry for being so vague !
Yes that would be an engine size that would be compatible.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
thats a tough question,

i know that they run some hi perf gokarts on alcohol, like the rapter engine.

i don't know of any small engine's that will tolerate straight alcohol. upper cylinder lube, carb corrosion problems are but two of the main problems one would have to contend with.

not sure how to get around the corrosion problem associated with alcohol and aluminum carburator parts.

interesting question, don't have an answer but let me do a bit of research to see if i can find someone that is doing what you want to do.

bob g

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »
Bruce S

A long time ago, ( it seems now) I converted small Honda motors to alcohol (off the super market shelf methylated spirits).

The storchiometry is still storchiometry, and so all the same rules apply for the purists..... simply put, this means boring out the jets to about twice the size from memory, and thats all you need to do.

The carbs do tolerate the alcohol, but as Bob suggests, you may see some corrosion. I never did in the 30 or so conversions I did....some jelly like deposits from memory, but nothing a wash out won't fix.

Upper cylinder lubricant seems not to be a problem with the Kohlers, briggs, techumseh or honda as I recall, as they run on lpg without a wimper.

Nothing more needs to be done with these engines. The valves don't seem to mind at all, and engine corrosion in the alloy did not occur.

These engines did only small 8 hour runs every other day for floor buffing. Initially it was done to try to get around propane usage in some "inside areas". Large wharehouses etc. It was used extensively on stripping machines for weight alleviation... no gas bottles on the handlebars.

I see no reason they could not be used for power generation.

Cold starting can be problematic, but it was found either a squirt of areostart (TM) or even CRC(tm) or using those little pump bulbs you find on chainsaws for a single quirt of petrol starts them from dead cold without problem. Excessive choke (fuel almost running out the throat) also seems to get em going, but not 100% of the time easily if really cold. Once warm first pull no problems.

These were little 5 hp and 3 hp honda's. There is no reason for not running it in 8 and 11 and 13hp units, except the cost of fuel vs petrol, made no sense..... however, if your making your own, it does make sense. All the 11 and 13hp units ( over 200 ) I did were propane. I used my own mods on the carbs, and the Japesese gave their blessing when they came out to Oz, and later I noticed they used the same system on their 11 and 13hp propane units out of the box. They did not use the USA conversion like I thought they would.

Hope that helps.

...............oztules
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:14:17 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
Sorry Bob G

My apologies for leading you astray.

The transformer load matching is only to ameliorate the cable run problems, and importantly .....armature reaction of mills like the AWP and other iron cored machines. It allows the amp turns in the alternator be less, than is the case without..... it allows the genny to drive more power out of a given architecture than without.... also I^2 x R losses in the stator may  be lowered a bit....if you get better stacking factor with the more turns  smaller wire for less current more volts same watts... thats a maybe.

Using the AWP as an example, if it is hard wired for 48v the alt will top out at about 900 watts. With judicious rewind of the core (90 coils) and a transformer, the same core can now produce 2kw and a bit before armature reactance stops further production, and runaway occurs.

It is not an mppt, simply a means to reduce line loss over large runs, and to help get the reactance down. It can't stop it.

Your buck scheme:

Switching after the rectifier after the secondary, still needs a current amplifier of some sort, to allow the volts in the alt to rise, and yet get more current into the batteries for the same watts input..... a torque converter if you will....... so it's back to the buck again.  (we store energy in the magnetic field and then make higher current lower voltage with it.... volts in proportion to on time  so 25% on= 25% voltage out.... times the current to almost equal input watts, so we amplify the current at the expense of voltage....so the story goes... then losses....)

In relation to transformers.
They work at very low hz, but their magnetizing current needs to be kept in control so as not to saturate.

To this end, if you design for your max power, and select a transformer at whatever the frequency is at that point, and then size the core at that frequency (and the volt/turns) and power requirements, it will work perfectly up the range from almost nil hz to max hz. It's efficiency (size to power ratio) changes in lock step with the frequency, so it will work as well at 2kw as it does at 10hz and less..... because at low freq, you will have low power, at high freq you will have high power (V^3 for hz... double the hz, 8 times the power in theory at any rate and the tranny will follow it).

This means pole count is of only passing interest in keeping the core size down, but if you dismantle a few microwave trannies, and combine the plates..... presto... as big as you can dream up is possible.....so you can leave the pole count as 12 or 16 as we usually do...and  yes I have done it for a different project.... somewhere on scoop are the pics.

The transformer will not help with your mppt on an axial, just allow you to match the turbine's windings to your battery bank and maybe help with wire runs. The buck will actually be happier with the higher voltage I think (current less).

Now, if we were to multitap the transformer and use triacs to swap windings with your micro, then you would have a workable mppt. It may take 8 taps or so to get a reasonable match, but certainly doable (messy but doable). The triacs would not be used as a "light dimmer" purely as solid state switches/relays.

Transformers from microwaves are free, and provided the time is as well, this would provide a very cheap and very tough mppt.

I use triacs in some electric fence units I build here for stock, and six 25 cent triacs can switch 250000 watts.... yes thats quarter of a million watts easily..... but they do it for only 10 millionths of a second or so. I have measured 400,000W on a early unit. (11000v@40 amps). It used a single rewound microwave transformer (9 turns 2 in hand of 13G wire for the primary, and 240 turns for the secondary 1mm wire, insulate each layer), a tiny 12v to 600v converter (single transistor and E39  ferrite transformer)....... and not that much more... maybe $10.00 for a 100km fencer with a 300-500ohm fence impedance (medium soiled fence... grass growing into it)

So triacs are shown to be super tough compared to fets, but the array of them for such a project would make me inclined to go single phase.... just to keep the parts count down..... but if the board is designed I guess it will look more practical, but still a rats nest of wire to the thrannies. (if I built it anyway)

Also I don't know what these trade names do, "we could substitute the pwm module and the microcontroller with a controller from balmar, xantrex, amplepower, sterling etc" so maybe thats why your thinking like this.... unless these amplify current at the expense of volts...( and I'm guessing not at this stage) then  I don't see how what you have proposed is mppt in any way...... but at least your thinking about it....

...............oztules

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:09:58 PM by oztules »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
Oz
thanks for the reply

yes i have been thinking about this for a very long time! :)

i revisited this about 5 years ago when i got back into alternator modification
and began to research everything i could get my hands on as it pertains to design and what the big boys are doing.

in testing a prestolite/leece neville 110-555jho 12volt 160amp large frame j180 mount alternator works out to be about 52-54% efficient as built.
the same alternator which has external taps directly to the stator, which btw is delta wound when connected to three of the apc transformers will achieve well into the upper half of the 60's % efficiency. this is pretty good when you consider the transformer losses which are factored into the test.

now both of us know this is not mppt, however it illustrates that these transformers which were made to operate at 60hz can do a good job at between 400-600hz.

stepping back a moment:
in my opinion the ultimate goal of an mppt controller is to get more power out of the source than it would normally be able to deliver as designed.

also bearing in mind my testing is on iron core machines, however the unit i am working with has very little iron in its stator which is of note. it also is a 12 pole machine.

what i am unclear on, and my bet would be that it is the case, is...
the air core alternator ought to be able to use the transformer scheme to the same result?

basically as you say the transformer is nothing more than an electrical gear set, much like a transmission attached to an engine. multi tap equates to a multispeed transmission etc.

so my position is this, if we can get a gain in output and efficiency by using a transformer connected to an alternator designed and optimized to use the transformer then we have made a significant move in the right direction without the problems associated with buck converters.

also note:
in testing i am talking about taking a unit that is rated at ~2kwatts without the transformer set, and taking it to ~2.8kwatts with the transformers..that is ~40% increase in power output. 

when we consider the complexity and cost of building a comparable buck converter that can handle ~2.8kwatts, are we not talking about something that is likely going to be a monumental endeavor? and with a significant cost?  and to get what kind of gain?  last i checked the big boys claim ~40% gain if you hold your mouth right.

my point being, a transformer pack is much more robust than any converter is likely to ever be, commonly available, and easily implemented.

it just seems like a reasonable foundation to start with, in my opinion.

all that is needed after the transformer set is a controlled rectifier, which because we are going for DC (and not restructuring AC for a 3 phase drive) it  does not require separate and complicated drivers. a single driver can fire all elements via some sort of pwm scheme.

what would then qualify the end result is not the lack of a buck or boost converter, but rather the control unit/micro controller and its code, along with the necessary control handles and feedback.

and of course none of this works without good programming.

there are many white papers written in regard to the oem's, researchers, universities etc. wherein they have adapted mppt technology in an effort to both increase an alternator output and efficiency.

there is a large emphasis on continuing to use the lundell claw pole, alternator because of the huge manufacturing bases. the automotive application because of its variable speed prime mover relates better to wind power than does a fixed speed design. this variable speed requirement has led many to adopt and develop the mppt to good result. 

some of their designs use buck or boost, some have used transformers, some use the alternator stator as the inductor for the buck/boost converter, as well as some have used the transformer as the inductor.

interestingly they all come close to one another in efficiency and output gains.

i guess where i am coming from, is this...

it is my belief that a mppt controller that uses buck converter technology and is capable of delivering ~3 kwatt or more is going to be expensive and difficult to get right.  not impossible, just difficult.

i figure why reinvent the wheel here, why not build on the experience of what the oem's, researchers, universities have done, and adapt it for use in wind power.

does this sound reasonable?

thanks
bob g

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »
Okay Bob, where to start.

Now, even your iron core alts with little metal core, has very significant reaction.

A simple procedure to test this out for your self is as follows.

Grab any small car alternator, rip out any internal regulator it has. If it is older and has no internal regulator, it will likely have one brush earthed to chassis. The field terminal will go to the other brush.

Mount to a motor with a step up pulley. Place the armature (rotor) to b+ place a light globe say 5 watts betweem b+ and the field, so that you supply about .5A to the rotor and run it. (b-through light globe to field if it was internal regulator, and check the + brush does in fact go to b+, otherwise it needs a prod (usually done with the ign light on the dash) to get the stator generating, and then the small diodes will take over the b+ supply to the b+ brush.

Unloaded, it will have a voltage curve following the rpm. If you load it with a flattish battery, it will likely pull about 5A or so at idle.

Now if it was a non reactive device, when you doubled the rpm from here it would pull the amps up to try to follow the twice emf that the stator would have had unloaded.....but no..... what you will find is the curent remains steady at about where you started. Rev it up to 6000 rpm, and the current will still be the same....... why????

Now, if it was just the ohms in the stator that caused voltage drop, then the stator would heat up, (EMF in stator -battery V X currrent flowing in stator would be losses) and the current will increase with rpm, but it does not happen.

This is because the fairly weak field set up by the rotor at only .5A will have it's field repelled by the back MMF of the stator. As the stator has current running through it (say 5A) it will create a field in direct opposition to the rotor field. At about 5A, it will stop any more flux from the rotor getting into the stator windings, and no matter how fast you spin it, it will generate no more. This is the runaway we talk of in iron core conversions.

Now if we keep the current at .5A in the rotor, and place a step down tranny on the stator leads before the diodes, we can do interesting things.

If it is a 2:1 step down, we will need to increase rpm to double whatever it started to generate before to charge the batteries..... so it's EMF is now twice. The transformer output will be now at your battery voltage again, and charge at twice the original current. So now from the same stator, we have twice the power. As we increase speed, it will still bog down at about 5A in the rotor..(probably higher if the small diodes are driving the rotor voltage so try to power the rotor from the battery exclusively, or you will have probably more flux in the rotor.)

So we can see a transformer can change the point at which the power out is crippled by the reactance, but the stator current still limits at 5A.

If we increase the rotor current to 5A (about max for a small car alt, our reactance limit will be about 30-40 odd amps, more for a bigger alt. It will still current limit, and so stop it from exploding when we rev it to 18000 rpm on a flat battery or shredding the belts.....(inbuilt protection). Yes reactance protects the alternator from blowing itself and it's diodes and belts into next week.

If we now put 24v direct into the rotor, and 10A, we may find we do little better. Depends on the amount of steel in the claws, as it was probably saturated with the 5amp  x turns (ampere turns) at 14v, so for all the extra rotor current we may do little better. If the claws were not saturated before, we will do better until the new current limit point is arrived at, as the claws will have a higher flux than before.

It is the stator field trying to push or fringe the rotor field away that is doing this. A transformer just hides this until the same current that was doing it before turns up....... as well as lowering the I^2 R losses. These loses will be the same when the new current limit turns up, but we now have twice the power.... I remains the same, but V is now twice.

It also happens in your big generator heads. Without this, you'd likely  bust a shaft if you shorted the big alternators. It is the reactance that saves us.

To put it another way, the torque required to turn a shaft on a loaded alternator is mostly this reactance. It is the stator trying to repel the rotor as the current in the stator increases. You can feel it, your motor can feel it, and you can now see that if the rotor current remains at max, the stator will eventually push back hard enough that it reaches stalemate.... current limit.

You may see this listed as the synchronous impedance of the system.

Now onwards.
"in testing a prestolite/leece neville 110-555jho 12volt 160amp large frame j180 mount alternator works out to be about 52-54% efficient as built.
the same alternator which has external taps directly to the stator, which btw is delta wound when connected to three of the apc transformers will achieve well into the upper half of the 60's % efficiency. this is pretty good when you consider the transformer losses which are factored into the test."
It is very important to try to get to the guts of what is happening. Is the efficiency due to less torque required to turn the alternator at higher or slightly higher rpm? If so is is more due to the gearbox effect of the transformer as discussed above.

If you let the voltage rise (transformer steps down), then more power for less torque is the result.... but...times RPM...nothings for nothing.... but our stator current is less for the same output current.... So our loses are now stator EMF-effective transformer primary EMF X current. As the current is less it stands to reason the voltage drop is less in the stator, so our losses are less.........it works. We would find the upper limit of the alt will increase as well (from above as well). Note, if we were at reactance limit at X rpm, and introduced the transformer, we may well get twice the power with no change of rpm, but a torque increase...... becuse the current will still be the same in the stator, but the voltage will rise
because of the tranny.

It is important to not only test, but know what those results actually represent. This is not always obvious, and what it was that really changed them, versus what you thought had changed them... not so easy really if some angle you didn't know existed was doing the changing, but some other explanation sort of fitted.

"what i am unclear on, and my bet would be that it is the case, is...
the air core alternator ought to be able to use the transformer scheme to the same result?

basically as you say the transformer is nothing more than an electrical gear set, much like a transmission attached to an engine. multi tap equates to a multispeed transmission etc.

so my position is this, if we can get a gain in output and efficiency by using a transformer connected to an alternator designed and optimized to use the transformer then we have made a significant move in the right direction without the problems associated with buck converter"

Okay lets look at this:

The air cores will have advantage in exactly the same way with the E=IR part, but they get no added benefit from the reactance change. This is not a game killer at all, just a nice bonus (large) for heavily reactive machines.

The transformer can  be used effectively with air core once..and once only for long line runs perhaps and high towers etc.

It is a single gear change. It will be stuck in first or second or third. This leads to a ......well skip the tranny, just wind the stator differently..... exactly the same result.... no difference.... except no tranny loses from core etc. (line loss scenario excepted)

So no, you must let go of you motor alternator experiments. Forget anything you learnt from them.... this is entirely different, and you cannot/must not try to think like an engineer, where if you optimise each part, then it will end well............it wont and you will end up building a drag mill with a gearbox instead.... and then give up..

With wind power everything relies on everything else. A change anywhere will upset the whole thing. If you fiddle with the blade you need to fiddle with the furling and then fiddle with the alternator gaps /characteristics/resistance  and then ...... the damn wind changes speed...... and everything changes as square functions, cubic functions, and linear functions, and stator losses go up as a square of the current.... yes it's a dogs breakfast for sure.

The rotor (turbine) is trying to match a wildly varying dynamic impedance, to a rock solid battery impedance. If the prop ran at 1000 rpm all day, we can pick the best transformer, and be done with it. The moment the wind changes, we get the cubed verses squared verses linear rpm problem, and all the dynamics change drastically. The power curve is cubic, the alternator curve is squared, the voltage curve is linear, and we need to match the three of them. Can you see why we need a DYNAMIC gearbox. A one gear gearbox gives us 1 good speed.... we have that already

Unless we can change transformers mid stream we achieve nothing. If we multitap, and have a way to access them dynamically on the run, then it's a whole new world..... can you see that difference now?

"all that is needed after the transformer set is a controlled rectifier, which because we are going for DC (and not restructuring AC for a 3 phase drive) it  does not require separate and complicated drivers. a single driver can fire all elements via some sort of pwm scheme.

what would then qualify the end result is not the lack of a buck or boost converter, but rather the control unit/micro controller and its code, along with the necessary control handles and feedback.

and of course none of this works without good programming."

No, whats needed after the transformer is not simple a PWM and code. The code is almost irrelevant at this point.

WE NEED an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, not a one cog gear box.

If we stick to the transformer route, we need multi tap transformer, and a simple rpm to tap change algorithm..... or analogue chips to do same... simple enough.

If we go PWM, we need a fully fledged buck converter or bridge or two switch forward converter, or half bridge or pushpull..... but we need a converter, and a simple algorithm or analogue chip to drive it.

"the complexity goes way up when you run at higher hz, design becomes supercritical, ground planes and connections must be carefully designed, unless you want the FCC to fine the living crap out of you."

The complexity does not really go high until after 50 khz. In the 25khz range, just look at your computer power supplies.... notice they are all different. There must be a hundred ways to squash those 300watt converters into that same size box.

If you multi drive as Opera says, the problems become quite small.

However, look at this:

Now those pictures are from a fair size 1.5kw pwm unit. Note the careful ground planes, the careful layout, the special printed circuit boards etc...
Notice there are no electrolytics to fail ???

It's bigger brother looks identical but has another output transformer, and bigger input filter toroid, and still only 2 fets on the output, and natural cooling for 60A@60V. 

They run all night every night charging forklifts, have C ticks  (fcc stuff) and all relevant govt nonsense. they are approved for warehouses and are a first choice. They last forever, and I have never seen one fail. With no caps, they should never fail.

So all the general nonsense I hear about black magic converter principals are off the table. All other higher and lower power pwms I have seen all rely on stable inputs via caps. This style actually follows the rectified DC waves, and so has no power factor problems either. A micro is not fast enough to do this. It needs to be real time current mode pushpull chip... or 45 cents worth.

It has about 50 bucks of parts in it, so no Bob, I don't agree with what you stand by, but now you know why. The algorithm to drive this for stepdown is little different to a buck, just different ways of doing the same thing.

The driving "code" is simple jump tables for the coders, or rpm chip for this sort of thing.

True fuzzy logic has been shown to not work  for windmills by Gwatpe many many moons ago.... so don't bother with true MPPT, no-one has cracked it, and in truth Chris Olsen has shown that it is desirable to overide the MPPT sometimes anyway when you need some whoa mule medicine.

"there is a large emphasis on continuing to use the lundell claw pole, alternator because of the huge manufacturing bases. the automotive application because of its variable speed prime mover relates better to wind power than does a fixed speed design. this variable speed requirement has led many to adopt and develop the mppt to good result.
"
I would ask them if they really think prime movers (motors variable) relate to wind..... and apart from varying speed.... how?? They are dreaming all day long. Not even remote cousins. Reactance gives them the backstop, so that anything will work. Even driving the field directly from the battery (battery won't be happy for long though)

"
it is my belief that a mppt controller that uses buck converter technology and is capable of delivering ~3 kwatt or more is going to be expensive and difficult to get right.  not impossible, just difficult."

It would be cheap......Look at those photo's above and point out the expensive bits???? I don't see any.
Now they are not bucks, they are off line (safe) units.

Thats why I don't see the problems you have seem to see...... they are just not there. It takes time and I don't value mine, I just don't even need the mills any more, never mind an MPPT..... plus I have two 3.6kw MPPT units in the shed. Even they only cost 400 dollars freighted.... and they are approved  grid tie.

I think I have a good handle on this, just haven't bothered to build a buck, and for this i would probably go the pushpull off line route, and wire for 200-500vac. Actually that unit pictured would do that with little rework.

Hope I have cleared some of the misunderstanding Bob G.

Happy to answer any question on any aspect if you think I'm wrong. We will go at it until we agree on something.
Research what I have said Re reactance, do the tests... it is how it is.... it is how it works, and transformers are very forgiving of frequency ..... once you establish the projected power and frequency... then it all pans out.

Tapped transformers will work as well or better than buck, but will be heaps heavier.... but more reliable to boot.
Transformers alone will make little difference than a decent rewind..... unless you have steel in the mix. Then you can push it harder.

...................oztules
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:58:21 PM by oztules »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
Oz

its late and i have to get up early, however i wanted to address some of what you posted

i am aware of the typical reactance limiting of the typical automotive alternator, however the 110-555jho while exhibiting some limitations, is dramatically less so that any other alternator i have tested.

it is much more limited by stator I/R losses

it also takes a very low rotor current to do significant work, there is no need for more than 3.5 amps at 10volts to the rotor to get ~3kwatts output at 4600rpm (28.8vdc @ 100amps) it will produce higher output the faster you turn it using the same rotor current levels, so apparently what reactance limiting it has it is not the predominate limiting factor here.

now in testing the leece neville jb series and the other large frame offerings of similar capacity are very reactance limited, as you related.
the stator core will fry your bacon and eggs and cannot reach the levels of performance that the 110-555jho does. the main difference between the two is the iron in the 555 is about 20% that of the leece neville counterpart.

i found absolutely no benefit with the 555 using more rotor current or fielding it with 24volts, all that does is make more heat.

generally automotive alternators while having the higher reactance issue, use that as a benefit rather than a detriment, in that it provides a level of protection for the unit where cost is everything.

more tomorrow, after i have had some sleep, and have more time to carefully read and consider what you posted.

thanks
bob g

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
Oz

been giving this discussion a bit of thought today, while working my forest of tomato plants something occurred to me.

perhaps we have a communication problem, at least at it relates to maybe a difference in our definition of what "mppt" really is.

now i will grant you this much, most mppt controllers i have seen use either buck or buck/boost technology with the hardware, however
it is my assertion that just because a unit has a converter does not make it an mppt controller.

just because nearly all mppt's use a converter does not mean nearly all converters are mppt.  if that makes sense?

what makes any black box an mppt is the heart or brain of the unit, that being the microprocessor and as importantly the programming code.

i would argue that theoretically one could attach to a wind generator between the blade set and the generator a snow mobile belt type torque converter (belt type varidrive) and control that drive electromechanically to vari the drive via the same microcontroller and programming code tailored to the units needs of control and get the same result as one see's with buck or buck boost controllers.

granted the belt varidrive has mechanical efficiency issues which are likely greater than that of its electronic counterpart the buck or buck/boost converter. although even the electronic counterpart is not without losses of its own, just much less so.

so now we have two extremes, one mechanical and one electronic. what i am saying is this,, a transformer pack coupled to a controlled rectifier could accomplish the same ends as either of the prior examples.

the transformer pack cannot do it on its own, unless it was multitapped
which would be likely few rather course steps, however it can do it without multi taps with the coupling of the controlled rectifier.

and then there is this, just to be sure we are both on the same page
on the fundamentals. 

an mppt cannot make more power than what is delivered to it, basically it can't do much better than maybe 90% in a home brew.

what it can do is improve the efficiency of the generator delivering its power to the load, which is admirable, desirable and what folks spend hard money for.

personally i think the only reason we see buck and/or boost converter technology incorporated in the mppt technology is it does the job, reliably and at the lowest cost.  At least from what is offered by the retail level.

however it isn't the only way to accomplish the same goal in my opinion. and no i am not supporting the cannibalization of your neighbors snow mobile!  but rather i am of the opinion that the transformer pack coupled to a controlled rectifier can accomplish the same goal, that is increased efficiency, however i will grant you likely at a lower efficiency than that of those units that use a buck and/or boost converter.

how much less efficiency, i don't know, probably in the mid 80% compared to about 90% for the converters. 

there might be a question of "well bob, if this is the case why don't we see mppt's using your scheme"  my answer would be cost. if one were to build these mppt's for resale there is no way that one could supply the transformers for the cost of what one could build converter type mppt's.

that cost consideration ought not be a concern however for the experimenter/diy'er who can source and use cheap uses/surplus units in quantities insufficient for mass production at profit but certainly in adequate numbers for personal use.

maybe i am way off base?  if so i am eagerly willing to learn.

thanks
bob g

Watt

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
Bob, something to add on transformers.  If I'm wrong, I will edit.  ;D

Transformers with wind turbines are a lot of fun to play with.  Unless I'm way off on this and my turbine was junk or built wrong, I found pretty neat results using an out of the box transformer and played a bit with cores and windings to see what the results would be.  As my turbine would increase in rpm, frequency would raise and voltage would raise helping to keep my core and wire losses low.  As the rpm would further raise, the only limiting factors were my stator/rotor and the amount of voltage vs. rpm/frequency it could muster.  I did find the SOC of my batteries effected the smallish transformer causing heat with the SOC really low.  I played around with core material as well as core size and windings number and gauge for a while.  I was always going to change that stator except I finally decided I needed to do other work instead and just left it alone until I could get back on it.  Anyway, my observation is that saturation didn't seem to be that big a problem with what I had configured.  Stepping the voltage up would be something to revisit. The electronics I now have may give me a thrill for the moment and may be fun to incorporate the two.  Finally, as frequency went up, I could have got by with a smaller transformer as well as my winding wire size could have been changed.

I'm always in the background reading Oz's comments on the transformer and wind turbines.  I'm hoping to learn a bit more or learn the right way. 

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
I will reply to this tonight Bob and Watt, when I may have some time... bit busy fixing other peoples problems today.

Watt....... what was your nominal stator voltage, and what was the native Vin of your transformer and Vout.

Electronics folks seem terrified by changing frequency in transformers, and squeal saturation at low hz. In the real world of mills, this is rarely the case. Like the tsr, trannies are very forgiving in a lot of ways, and people forget the inductive reactance changes with the freq, and this goes in our favour.

They also think iron cores don't work with over 60 hz very well...... forgetting that valves used them up to 15000hz and well over as out put devices. Yes there were some sexy grain oriented laminates etc, but I found 240v power transformers worked nearly as well across the range..... (audio range). I could never afford the proper ones.

What happens in the real world often confounds the experts, not because they are stupid, but mostly because they/we never actually work out all the possibilities that the laws of the universe can deliver, and the things that effect our extrapolation of the rules we are currently involved with.

Best known example is don't crowd the magnets or they'll leak.... yes they do, but more is better in the real world. Same with coil size inside.... dont wind inside the magnet diameter because of cancellation..... but it is best to wind too small to get R down in the real world. There are thousands of others so we need to keep a level head, and not get too precious sometimes with how we interpret those rules. There will always be something we didn't expect that will change the outcome.

Same with pwm layout. A whole host of magic rules to get the best, but that unit I pictured earlier is a dogs breakfast, at over 24khz, fet to transformer runs about a foot long, no input caps (well 8uf motor run cap) current sense transformer runs about 1 foot long..... and yet will do 1500w all day every day with only passive cooling. It's big brother will do >3kw and more easily with only  bigger fets (still only 2) and 1 more transformer .........with secondaries made from huge wire  (1.8mm 13Gauge) 4 in hand (what skin effect).
So layout is forgiving provided some rules are followed (don't mix earth paths between power and logic), and who cares about input ripple.

Bet you have never seen power pwm without a truck load of electrolytic caps on the inputs to get rid of the ripple (and create power factor problems by using only the tops of the waves and making evil harmonics)..... scientifically calculated and all.

Those style battery chargers I know have worked for over 15 years without trouble... in any of the ones I have known (a lot)

There are other ways that work as well or better than the norm... and that is a red flag, but runs on the board are hard to ignore.

...............oztules
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:04:15 AM by oztules »

Watt

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 02:34:45 AM »
Oz

The out of the box transformer core was originally a 480v to 240 volt single phase step down transformer and could have been used as a 120v secondary because it was center tapped for 240 split phase.  However, I did not use the 4 to 1 step down because I could not deal with a 4 to 1 step up.  I did use the 2 to 1 step up while playing with cut-in.  This core was the 2.5" E-I laminate donor. 

The 17'er transformer was originally three single cores from a 45kva 3 phase delta-star 480v - 208v transformer enclosure with copper windings which we out grew at work.   

Unfortunately I can't remember the specifics of all the playing I did but, I do still have the stator and the rotor as well as most of the original cores they were mostly 2.5" legged E - I laminates.  I changed core thickness by bolting, limiting bolt cross through shorting, the economy laminates together without varnishing them together.  I tried several different wire gauges and core thicknesses for multiple combinations.  When I get a bit more time, have a project going out this next Friday, I will revisit and post what I can in this thread.

The stator was wired for 48v nominal.  I tried running the turbine at a higher voltage by decreasing the blade diameter in hopes of a higher rpm and ultimately ruined the blades.  Go figure.... ha ha.  However, I did get to experience higher turbine output voltages at secondary battery cut-in voltage using a transformer.

I might add, our tower was 150' from our garage.  It was just on 30 foot higher than the highest tree which at the time made the tower height ~55'.  I was knee deep in small wire size to the rectifier in the garage and was managing over charge voltages by way of load.  I wasn't keen on the dump load control at the time.  All the while, with around 500 watt/hr from the turbine, I was trying to save money by stepping up voltage.  I failed no doubt but, I'm sure this was due to lack of experience.

I also experimented with the transformer and a self built Dan's 17' turbine at 48v nominal at our fishing lease.  I found it way too slow, rpm wise, for the cores I had taken with me.  Using a scope on it, I could see the saturation clearly and concluded it was due to using too large of wire gauge with too few turns.  Something like 45 turns two in hand 12awg primary, even less turns on the secondary of maybe 35 turns 2 guage.  E-I core was 4" with I think 2" stack height. I'm pretty sure I later calculated needing something like 125 turns on the primary and 100 on the secondary for cut in rpm/voltage and tried something to that effect with the same core but found as the rpm increased my core size was just too big.  I assumed before the initial trip I needed a large core because I had a potential 3KW turbine.  I didn't realize I only had a few hundred watt turbine at just after cut in and the lower turns ratio had caused too much of a load, I think, and stalled the blades pretty hard.  Or, maybe I just can't remember or didn't ever know. 

Thinking later and for far longer as this experiment took place, what I really think needed was a smaller core and a larger pole count. 

Not to say this was MPPT related, and really it's not, I did have hopes of an analogue system of gauges like the " Murphy " type to change primary taps based on needle voltages.  Anyway enough rambling. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:23:50 AM by Watt »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 06:30:45 AM »
Short on time tonight just got a 2kw inverter welder to fix for a neighbour :o  looks like a 2 switch forward converter... appears to be  a blown driver chip L6836. Bob, no software in sight it is a simple 3842 current mode chip, and a driver. Appears simple is good for these things too..... dashed surface mount thinggies though :-[ ..... and the caps have rattled loose in the circuit board, and a STTH2003CT has gone short ...whatever happened to simple welders... they worked too :'(

I digress....

Watt:

Ok for a 17 footer 7 TSR, I think it would look like this:

Cut in at 100 rpm..... 13hz.... furl about 280 rpm or 38hz power about 5kw... (16 pole??)

Core area will be around 70sqcm  (11 sq inches.... fair size core)( rule of thumb..... root of the power required...  root 5000w) for fairly standard core material.

Turns per volt  about .9t/v (rule of thumb 60 (for 38hz)  divided by square area or 60/70=.9)

48v@cut in 100rpm so stator will have EMF of about 283/100rpm=135v at furl .. full power 5000w

Now we have the turns per volt for a core that will handle full power, it is a simple matter of putting in your desired input V for your output V

I don't think you had too much core. :-[

Thats my guess anyway

..................oztules.

Bob,
Notice, we now have the transformer info, what turns ratio would you use. Step up or down, and then what?
If you step up, start will be early, and later we will stall the mill, if we step down, the mill will start late and match the load a bit better, but may lose down low........ This is the problem with a single speed gearbox.

If we were to step up, and then pwm, we would lose amps......... ie. if the transformer were wound to step up the volts, it will step down the amps, and then your left with pwm (time slicing). Any slice you do will reduce the amps.

Now this may help you avoid stall (the pwm you speak of), but you are still loading the stator up the wrong way. More amps in the stator, and less in the battery.... not the desired result.

The transformer route will work, but solves no problems in an axial that could not be adressed with a rewind ..... except if the mill is a long way away, then very very useful... best to wire the thing for your area in the first place.

However, we will press on regardless.... so to make it work,.....

We need a transformer that will start 1:1 at start up, and by the time we get to 280 rpm, be about 2.8:1, and the current will be stepped up near three times as much in the secondary than it was in the primary.  (say stator rises to 40amps, the transformer will now be trying to output 100 amps or more. Now we are letting the stator voltage rise (linearly), and the current is rising slowly (as a square ideally), so our stator losses are reducedby a magnitude, and we can trim it to allow the prop to keep on TSR. Maybe 8 taps on the way up will give us smooth control from 1:1 at start, to near 3:1 at full power.

Does that make any sense now?.

We are not trying to save the stator persay, we are trying mostly to give the blades a chance to follow their TSR on the way up. That is the primary goal. As we reduce the stator current from what it would have been, the torque to drive it drops, and the blades can speed up.... thats the mppt part. Making the taps so that we have the rpm and torque to match the power at that rpm that the power curve describes. Torque is current ..... rpm is volts.. we know the prop makes a cube of the rpm, so all we need to do is let the current rise as a square, and we should be good to go.

If we drove a resistive load then that would be all good, but we are driving a short circuit after cut in (almost anyway) so the current will rise too fast and so torque requirements stall the blades.... thats what the tapped transformer needs to address.

It must have the ratios set so that as the rpm rises, we let the current in the stator only rise as a square... less than that and the prop over speeds.... more than that and it will tend towards stall.

Edit: That means we double the rpm and we want the voltage to double, and current to go up 2^2 (or 4 times). So power will be 2x(2x2) or 8 times for a double of rpm.

This will match the prop, which has now doubled rpm, and has 4 times the torque load.... our cubic function is preserved..... volts is rpm, torque is current....I know I know,.....three ways to say the same thing, but I think I got it clear.... hopefully... maybe.....

We use the taps to make that happen by changing the input impedance to allow that to happen. The side benefit is the current multiplication the tranny does naturally.

Bonus if we want......... If we add a tap or two lower, we can capture some of that 200 watts (step up .8:1 or whatever we please) available before cut in as well.... all good.

Did I make that clear as mud, or did it make sense??

.............oztules    in a hurry sorry ...... later
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:53:35 AM by oztules »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:16 AM »
Oz

what you describe in regard to tapped transformers make perfect sense to me, however my thinking goes like this

use the pwm unit , controlled with a micro controller and programming, to switch the controlled rectifier so that the output of the transformer is effectively altered with the resultant power output following a similar path of that of a tapped transformer?

or maybe marry the two?

use a multitap transformer with the taps switched via the micro so that we can have effectively a multispeed transmission, and take over fine control within each speed range (tap) with the controlled rectifier.

sort of like adding the torque converter to the front end of a manual gear box, or rather more like an automatic transmission, actually a step above the older versions, more like the new electronic controlled automatic's

i suppose one could provide a step up tap, to harvest the lower wind speeds, not much power there, but why not if one is going to the trouble to wind a transformer with taps anyway.

in my thinking it would be much better to allow the alternator voltage to operate at as high a voltage as possible and step down via the transformer pack, effectively gaining amperage that the generator could not in original trim deliver. As you state perhaps the machine is capable of delivering 40amps into load (lets say 12volts nominal), if we allow it to run perhaps as high as 120volts and use a step down transformer of 3:1 we might end up with 120amps into the same load (not accounting for losses and loading characteristics of course, so maybe we end up with 80amps into the load)  even if we were to end up with 60amps into the load the result is an increase in power, energy or however one ones to express it.

actually what you describe with the multitap makes more sense to me, mainly because if one is going to go this route he might as well optimize for as wide a window of windspeeds as possible. i thought maybe one could design a transformer to fit somewhere in the middle of the projected and expected windspeeds and use the controlled rectifier to widen the window as much as possible.

having more taps makes that job much easier admittedly. it might be in practice we end up not needing all the taps, however it would sure be nice to have them all to start with in development.

thanks
bob g

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Okay a bit more time now.
Bob
"so now we have two extremes, one mechanical and one electronic. what i am saying is this,, a transformer pack coupled to a controlled rectifier could accomplish the same ends as either of the prior examples.

the transformer pack cannot do it on its own, unless it was multitapped
which would be likely few rather course steps, however it can do it without multi taps with the coupling of the controlled rectifier."

Yes, an electro-mechanical device could  match the transducer to the  battery. A tricky torque converter driving the alternator will do fine,(varibelt or hydraulic or whatever) driven by the prop.

But this: "transformer pack cannot do it on its own, unless it was multitapped" will work.
This: "however it can do it without multi taps with the coupling of the controlled rectifier." .......is perhaps errant.

Try to describe exactly how you think this would actually provide current amplification. I think it will do no better than adding variable line resistance. Pulse width modulation without inductors is just time slicing. We may see higher peak currents (as we let the prop get back up to song) because of the  higher stator EMF, but the average current will drop ( from the dead time )..... thats why we use them for motor control.

I am struggling a little bit, because as we time slice, those periods of time we are not powering the battery, we may put some kinetic energy back into the prop, and I don't know if this will compensate for the loss of power over the dead time.....but sadly don't think so at all... but worth a ponder..

Okay... this bit next:

"

an mppt cannot make more power than what is delivered to it, basically it can't do much better than maybe 90% in a home brew.

what it can do is improve the efficiency of the generator delivering its power to the load, which is admirable, desirable and what folks spend hard money for."

No no no. Stop being a motor engineer and think about what we are doing.

We are not trying to improve the alternator as a first choice..... we are trying to get the prop back on TSR. If we achieve this, we can get a massive increase in power to drive the mppt.... If we stall at 20 mph, we get almost nothing, if my unit runs properly at 20 mph, it has 1600 watts to work with. This is what it is all about . It is to keep the prop where it develops power... not running at or near stall.

The alternator on most decent axials will stall out the blades... particularly if the SOC is low, and they are wired for early cut in.

Example :
My unit driving a 12v battery will put out no more than about 5 amps at 20 mph.... 60w
My unit driving a 24v battery will get up to maybe 10 or more amps.... maybe up to 300w.
My unit driving a 48 volt battery will get about 1500watts @ 20mph.... so from 60 watts to 1500 watts with no change in wind.... only a change in load matching.

It is not about efficiency, thats a nice byproduct..... but who cares... it is about load matching.... not to a low impedance (mechanically) motor, but to a very dynamic medium  (moving air) trying to drive a transducer (prop) as best as the applied torque  (current) will let it.

We are not interested in 5% here and 8% there, and maybe a few somewhere else. It is nice that we find those things improve as well, but you need to have power in the first place to even get efficiencies... and a stalled prop has no power. It is not a motor.

Your background appears to be in trying to get best fuel consumption for the most kwh.  Thats very different to  mppt with wind. It is the reason why solar mppt is simple to black box track, and wind is impossible to black box track.

We seem only to be able to jump table it against rpm, and this gets close. But every alt needs to be programmed into the algorithm (micro) or feedback loops for analogue.

There is very little you can take from the motor-generator -battery scene to wind-prop-generator-battery. You cant grab hold of the wind, you can't squeeze it you can't do anything with it.... except to deflect it and rob it of some kinetic energy and use it to rotate a prop that hopefully will see the load of the alternator as drivable.

Old pumper windmills are different, in that you can feel the torque yourself when you hold the blades into the wind. They want to rip your hand off and get going. These high lift blades do absolutely nothing until they get near their design TSR.... then all hell breaks loose. The sound changes, they grip the air all of a sudden, and they are off...... But if you pull them off their TSR, they go straight to mush, lose the sound and just seem to die.

Thats where the gains are to be made......... keeping TSR.

I  see a buck/boost/forward converter/push pull or whatever is not as difficult as has been pre-supposed. They use Buck because in this instance it is the more efficient topology to go with.... but if you stop being and E engineer, you realise that the difference between 85% for one topology verses 93% for some other topology, is meaningless with wind. Thats not where the gains will come from at all.

Thats why if i were to do it, I may just build that thing in the photo thats a dogs breakfast, and control it. It is possibly 4%-6% behind the buck at certain outputs... probably equal or better at others.... but who cares. That is not the issue here.... matching the load is.

Even a big transformer with a very very long primary with a sliding contact running over the primary wires (exposed) driven by a rpm counter would do it.... electro-mechanical again. It does not matter how you get there... but we know what needs to be achieved now hopefully.

Microwave transformers butchered to the right cross section for the mill size would be a interesting thing to do, and be very very very cheap. If you bought the transformers, you would be broke.... but it is DIY isn't it........ and you could multiplex and/or micro all day long to drive the taps.... but thats cheap too, and so are the triacs (just bought 200 for $50 .... 800v 20A)

I think the microwave approach with triac switching with analogue controls with 8 trim pots on the board would be bullet proof and real time adjustable. I play a bit with pics, and understand the less hardware andle, but I find for this stuff a heap of trim pots would be much more versatile, and useful than a bunch of code..... and would be near bulletproof. No clipper required.

................oztules

Edit, you posted while I was scrivening.... I say again, a PWM without an inductor (transformer etc) is just not a converter.

It cannot convert... it only time slices. When it is married to a inductor or transformer, the energy stored in the magnetic fields of those inductors allows power conversion.... we can get watts of one impedance in one end, and get watts out the other end of a different impedance... but ostensibly the same watts less the conversion loss. PWM cannot do that. It has no energy storage facility to do the conversion with.

You CAN use it to get the prop out of stall condition, but so can a resistor. At least with the resistor you can heat water with it i guess.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:36:27 AM by oztules »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
Oz

my thinking is the controlled rectifier, which is reality has become a switch mode power supply because it uses the transformers not only as a current source but the inductor... this qualifies it as a converter.

now i am not all hung up on alternator efficiency, however with increased efficiency of the alternator comes better use of the delivered power from the blade set.

going a step further and recognizing your assertion that we ought to be more concerned with keeping the blade speed up on song (design tsr) this is done by sampling the hz (which gives us rpm and by extension tsr "if" we know the windspeed, which is sampled by another input). the microcontroller uses these inputs to adjust the switch mode or controlled rectifier with the result optimally being keeping the blade set running at peak rpm or peak power at any given windspeed.

i think we are getting closer together here, however there is still a communications gap between the two of us, and i accept this likely is a fault on my behalf.  Not being able to relate in terms that you work with probably makes it difficult to get a complex idea across clearly.

thank God we both speak english!

at least maybe there is some hope?

thanks
bob g

ps. the load matching concept is not lost on me, i have long been a proponent of such going back to the earliest version of this forum. back then it was almost impossible to get the concept across to anyone.

it never made sense to me to couple a unit that has an open circuit voltage of perhaps a 100 or more volts to a 12volt battery. the result always makes unnecessary heating of the stator, while it works it isn't very efficient use of either the generator or the power of the wind driving it.

also,  i have no problem with using a buck or buck/boost converter to do the load matching. my only issue is the relative complexity as it relates to the experience level  of the average diy'er. i am not convinced that a design can be arrived at where the average guy with a soldering iron is going to get one operating reliably. this is not to say that someone such as yourself could not do it, or make them for resale to the diy'er community if you so chose.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
Bob G & oztules; mates you bring up some interesting analogies let me plant one or 2 more bugs in the works.
 Since you mentioned electro-mechanical or mechani- electro, think about this some of you may be old enough to remember the old veri-slide transformers in the cheapo buzz box welding machines some had a movable iron pile some had a bare strip on the winding of the secondary and a heavy contact brush for output these laughingly increased or decreased the output amperage at the expense of OCV,still others had a veriac on the primary I've even seen one with a move able primary & pile Now fora very simple voltage control connect the move able slide bar or pile or coil directly to an anemometer via fly weight governor to move the pile of contact bar tweak it for prop speed / volt output take off of secondary for usable energy wire the transformer either as Highh volt input/ low v out put of vise versa to suit the application. about the most extreme low tech approach there is to be sure
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

OperaHouse

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
Just shows there is nothing new under the sun.   Many years ago Altec Lansing built qn amplifier with a circuit I believe they called the TWIN T.  The output tanasistors were driven by multiple power supply voltages.  That saved heat losses in the transistors.  It never caught on in the audio world because instead of two crossover notches you now had six to deal with.

boB

• boB
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
Just shows there is nothing new under the sun.   Many years ago Altec Lansing built qn amplifier with a circuit I believe they called the TWIN T.  The output tanasistors were driven by multiple power supply voltages.  That saved heat losses in the transistors.  It never caught on in the audio world because instead of two crossover notches you now had six to deal with.

That's exactly what Carver cube amplifier did !   From around 1980 or so.

And its power transformer, being too small to be plugged in directly to the line  because it would saturate, was driven by a  triac (light dimmer) circuit.  So as well as having multiple crossover notches, it also made lots of EMI.

boB

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
fwiw, and maybe it will illustrate what i have in mind

some time ago, while doing my R&D work, i was asked a question that went something like this

"i have a 12volt system, engine driven alternator on a boat, i want to place the batteries some 50 ft away, therefore the cables must be enormous so as to reduce losses of transmission"  his question was weather or not using a three phase transformer pack and a remote mounted rectifier closer to the battery bank might be a solution.

this question came on the heals of my release of a white paper outlining my work on increasing output and efficiency of an automotive
alternator. i still had everything in place to continue more testing so i figured why not.

now my testing was with the reapplication of a 12volt alternator into a 24volt load, and he needed to go into a 12 volt load. i had good efficiency numbers based on gr/kw/hr fuel consumption for the alternator in question both at its native 12 volt and at the tested 24 volt.

at 12 volts the alternator was approx 52% efficient, and at 24 volts it was approx 78% iirc (i might be off a point or two, it would take a while to dig up the results, they are still packed after the move)

so i had in hand the two possible extremes, stock oem 12volt nominal and the same alternator in the 24volt nominal operational range.

the objective was to see if we could use what was learned in 24volt nominal operation, feed a transformer pack and remote rectifier over 50 feet of 12/3 cable.

what i used were three salvaged APC ups output transformers connected in delta/delta (again from memory, it might have been delta/wye)
this allowed the alternator output voltage to rise to well over 130vac phase to phase open circuit, with an output after the rectifier bridge of 28.8volts DC

i was able to pull just over 130amps from the DC side with something on the order of 14amps per phase (this might have been off a bit, as i don't remember for sure if i resolved the issue with accuracy at the 500hz operation of the alternator)

the 12/3 cord never got so much as warm, however the efficiency of the system overall dropped to iirc the mid to upper 60's percentile.
likely owing to efficiencies of the transformers.

what i learned from this was yes, i could transmit as much or more effective power over the required distances using 12/3 wire as opposed to dual 4/0 positive and dual 4/0 negative cables he was faced with using, and do it as a higher efficiency than the alternator normally would operate at in its native form.

while the outcome was expected it was never the less quite fascinating to hold a 12/3 cable 50ft long that was transmitting effectively 130amps at 28.8volts or ~3700 watts to the load bank.

at this point i might add i had been away from wind power study for some time, but always kept a fire burning for idea's that might be useful or transferable to windpower.

over the years, folks have discussed the use of transformers on wind gen systems when faced with long distance transmission, and that became accepted and some have used them to good effect. generally however it seems most use them to step up the power so as to transmit power at higher voltages for less losses which would be appropriate use of the technology.

what i am proposing isn't for the transmission of power over longer distances (although it could be adapted to do so), what i am proposing
is winding the generator with more poles (raising the hz substantially at cut in) and bringing it to the point of use, where it will then be stepped down to something useful for charging batteries. Thus allowing the alternator to operate at higher internal voltages and a fraction of the normally seen amperage.  lower amps equate to less losses in the stator, among other issues, which increase efficiency. let me state that alternator efficiency is only a concern where it allows us to use a higher percentage of the available wind power for something useful on the load side rather than something non useful such as stator heating.

continuing on with my illustration...

we let the alternator run perhaps as high as 125 vac at cut in to as high as maybe 250vac at furling.

we use a transformer set to get the voltage down to perhaps 25volts at cut in (5:1 step down) for use in our example a 24 volt batter bank.

now this same transformer pack (5:1 step down) at furling and 250volts peak generated , would provide something on the order of
50volts on the secondary side.

we end up with approx one fifth the amperage in the stator which has significant direct effect on both heating and on increasing the power harvested from the wind and rotor.

this is an idealized illustration, no losses considered at this point.

now at cut in, the voltage is low enough past the rectifier so that while it is technically charging the battery bank, it is so barely, likely appropriate to the available power of the wind, so the mppt controlled rectifier is basically at 100% duty cycle (practical limit here).

as the wind picks up the the wind speed sensor tells the microcontroller what that speed is, the controller of course goes to a lookup table does the calc's and adjusts the pwm to the controlled rectifier allowing the blade set to spin up to the design tsr appropriate for the windspeed reported.

this will keep the blade/rotor tracking windspeed at the design TSR we want, and can be tailored via code if the design proves to be off a bit, effectively being able to change a TSR 6 to a TSR 5 or whatever one wants.

TSR could then be altered once enough data is accumulated to determine the actual maximum power point for a given blade set, alternator and windspeed.

now we have control over the wind gen from cut in to furl, ideally maximizing the delivered power from the input power of the wind.

now we have accomplished the following
1. lowered the current in the stator, which equates lower heat and higher efficiency
2. we have reduced the transmission line losses, due to higher transmission voltages
3. we have power that is better matched and close to the point of use.
4. we have control of our blade rotor, in as much as we can keep the TSR where we want it, across the wind envelope (cut in to furling), and
5. we can provide maximum power point tracking across the windspeeds we design and program for.

now the next step, regulating the output from the transformer/rectifier bank so that we can provide for proper charging voltage to our battery bank. so that we start charging at cut in, and limit voltage and/or current at or near furling, and do so from a low state of charge to fully charged float conditions.

the proposal would be to control the rectifier bank, via a switch mode scheme, half controlled rectifier or some such, and a micro controller. maybe the same controller used for the first part of the project, maybe a separate one? (personally i like multiple processors)
using proper coding which include whatever we need to develop the charging algorithm, such as voltage, temp, amperage, etc the microcontroller provides the pwm to the controlled rectifier. this in turn would allow for temperature compensated, timed, or whatever one wants for any battery technology, and is nearly infinitely adaptable by changing lines of code.

of course there are other considerations too, one biggy is the dump load, which must be in place to keep the genny loaded. there should be multiple layers of interrupts, failsafes, watchdog timers etc built in just in case there are any malfunctions of hardware and/or code.

probably the first place to start, and all along development is the safety or failsafes,  get them working first and then rechecked after every additional option is added, rechecked after ever line of additional code, and rechecked twice on sunday.

otherwise we might get a visit from murphy?

murphy visits nasa with some frequency, this project is just an open invitation for old murphy to come set up residency.

bob g

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
Yes Bob, we need to clear up some things.

What exactly is a controlled rectifier with proper code in your eyes. To me it is most likely a scr controlled bridge driven by software. What do you see it as.

Please be explicit, as I can't see how your scheme can work with a controlled rectifier. (what I would call a controled rectifier anyway)

If it is a switch mode power supply, then it is really a bridge rectifier, followed by a time sliced transformer. It may just as well be a buck converter, and skip the transformers. They both do the same thing...... from another angle..

"as the wind picks up the the wind speed sensor tells the microcontroller what that speed is, the controller of course goes to a lookup table does the calc's and adjusts the pwm to the controlled rectifier allowing the blade set to spin up to the design tsr appropriate for the windspeed reported. "

What exactly is going on . Yes we can check the wind and make a relevent pulse width, but what is the pwn driving...... and don't say a controlled rectifier :), I'm trying to find out what your controlled rectifier consists of (topology?).  (better to check the rpm, not the wind)

In your narration, this is the only part of interest ( your software controlled rectifier) . It is the MPPT bit. The rest is just creating an environment for it to operate within.

Now, High stator voltages with low current sounds romantic, as we think that less current means less loss.... but there are no free lunches here.
Think about it, to wind a 125v stator will use  about 5 times the turns of wire of a 25v stator.. so the resistance will go up in lock step with the voltage of the stator as the winding window remains the same to fit in these extra turns.

Our stator now will have less current but it will be across a much larger resistance... so no real difference in stator heat  from this route alone.

Hz increase via more poles, will only change the size of the cores required for using transformers. If using PWM controlled rectifiers (that are actually power supplies), then this is pointless except perhaps to get the ripple down for the switchers (caps required are less).

Your boat analogy DID get stator loss down.... but only because you increased RPM. Because of that you didn't need to rewire the stator for your 135v, simply change the pulley, or increase rpm...... cant do that with a prop.....can do it with a IC motor.

If your pwm controlled rectifier has a transformer in it, then you don't need a transformer anywhere else.... ie if your idea of a controlled rectifier is a switch mode power supply, it can do it all anyway..... everything.

I just don't understand your mppt part until you can clarify what it is. Not interested in the carefully compiled code and micro, I need to know just what sort of animal it is talking to. Code is not relevant until we have somehing useful to control.

Control after the mppt can actually incorporate the mppt. It is concievable that the mppt could stall out the mill, and hold the battery very near float, and then need only a small dump to control the finer points. When the mill is heeavily stalled, it puts out almost nothing. Mine can swing easy 5w, down to 0 watts in the same wind. Dependent on the impedance of the load. At short circuit condition, the current is so high, and voltage so low (0ish) that the huge current makes for huge torque...... so blades stops (or near too).

Lots of ways to fiddle this part, and all easy.

But what is a controlled rectifier in your scheme.

.........oztules

Need to edit this "When the mill is heeavily stalled, it puts out almost nothing. Mine can swing easy 5w, down to 0 watts in the same wind."
 to this "When the mill is heeavily stalled, it puts out almost nothing. Mine can swing easy 5000w, down to 0 watts in the same wind."

I'll leave the silly spelling there for completness... heeavily should be heavily) ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:39:08 PM by oztules »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
this would be much easier if we were in the same room with a large blackboard! 

i will take excerpts and try to answer them as best i know how.

"What exactly is a controlled rectifier with proper code in your eyes. To me it is most likely a scr controlled bridge driven by software. What do you see it as."

to me a controlled rectifier can be, at least it used to commonly be a scr controlled bridge, however i am thinking more along the lines of a low side mosfet wherein the lower set of diodes are replaced with mosfets.  these are fairly common designs as used in variable frequency drives, however the driver circuit is much more complex. the variable frequency drive has to reassemble a 3 phase sine wave of adequate quality, so each mosfet has to be driven at a different angle,, i know you know more about this that i care to know. we don't need the separate drivers because we are not remaking a sine wave, we are making DC so the gates of the lower mosfets can all be driven at the same time from what i read.  now this sort of controlled rectifier could be controlled by anything from a simple pwm unit with a hand controlled dial/reostat or as complex as a micro controller that takes all sorts of input information from all over the place to adjust the pwm a jillion times per second (well maybe not a jillion but much faster than i can turn a knob).

"If it is a switch mode power supply, then it is really a bridge rectifier, followed by a time sliced transformer. It may just as well be a buck converter, and skip the transformers. They both do the same thing...... from another angle.."

not exactly, what i propose is just the opposite, it is a transformer followed by a controlled rectifier, which basically becomes a controlled transformer. the equivalent circuit i believe is called an infinitely variable transformer, or variable turns ratio transformer.

let me state what i am proposing likely is not as good a solution as a buck converter, just easier to source parts for a diy'er, likely more robust if not as efficient.  there are compromises, just as everything in life.

yes i believe they both do basically the same thing, definitely from a different angle.  you feel comfortable with buck converters design and building, i feel more comfortable using this method/design. yours probably more efficient, mine maybe more robust, yours a bit more complex, mine a bit simpler.. if we both go to market?  you win!

"What exactly is going on . Yes we can check the wind and make a relevent pulse width, but what is the pwn driving...... and don't say a controlled rectifier :), I'm trying to find out what your controlled rectifier consists of (topology?)."

it is simply driving the lower side mosfets, which switch the output of the transformer in the rectifier, shorter pulse width equals lower voltage/power to the load, longer width means higher voltage/power to the load.

" (better to check the rpm, not the wind)"

i think the microcontroller ought to be checking both rpm of the blade rotor set (via hz is adequate), and the windspeed (via a separate sensor) that way the micro can calculate what the rotor/blade set should be running in rpm at specific wind speeds. it is likely that given an 8mph the rotor will need to turn at a different rpm for peak power than the peak power rpm at 16 or 24 mph, unless you want a variable TSR across the wind speed range?  either way likely be best to check both rpm/hz and windspeed, then using lookup tables built on experience with the machine the system is used on to calculate and deliver the pwm signals to the driver or possibly directly from the micro controller to the lower mosfet gates (probably not a good idea, probably always best to use a driver chip even if not strictly called for, for protection of the microcontroller)

"In your narration, this is the only part of interest ( your software controlled rectifier) . It is the MPPT bit. The rest is just creating an environment for it to operate within."

first of all this was not meant to be a "narration" rather it is the only way i know how to communicate given the medium at hand.

if i am clear about your question, are you asking for my definition of "mppt"?  i assume so, so here goes nothing as they say.

mppt is software, not hardware.  while all mppt controllers have buck and/or boost converters, not all buck and/or boost converters are "mppt" units.  if you take an oem mppt unit and if they allowed you access you could go into the code, remove theirs and insert yours to make it do just about anything from simple pwm control (no power gains, but better matching) all the way to the other extreme which is known as maximum power point tracking, and everything in between.

to me mppt is methodology via programming code into a micro controller which through  the use of info derived from various inputs, look up tables and various sorts of calculations will (or ideally should) in the case of wind power keep the windgenerator operating at peak power at any windspeed within the envelope of the programmers code.

where a typically direct connected windgen might start to make power at 8mph, and start to top out at say 25mph with significant heating in the stator, the same unit with mppt can be made to start at 8mph same as without, but at the other end it will allow the unit to run at a higher effective internal voltage and convert the higher voltage to higher amperage to the load. 
the standard mill might peak at 50amps flat out, and getting hot
the same mill with mppt might well make 70 or more amps flat out
with the same or maybe even lower heating of the stator (the latter being preferrable)
so we are trading "clamped" voltage of the standard mill for increased amperage to the load via the mppt's buck converter.

now of course this is idealized and simplified somewhat and ignores necessities such as safety features and dump loads. 
yes the rest is creating an operating environment which allows us to do some things very hard to do in any other way, do them quicker and likely more accurately. temperature compensation of the charge being one.

"Now, High stator voltages with low current sounds romantic, as we think that less current means less loss.... but there are no free lunches here."

never claimed any free cheeseburgers here!  ;)

"Think about it, to wind a 125v stator will use  about 5 times the turns of wire of a 25v stator.. so the resistance will go up in lock step with the voltage of the stator as the winding window remains the same to fit in these extra turns."

i am talking about adding more poles, which for a given rpm will increase voltage. also a 25volt stator (one which presumably is charging into a 24volt bank?) likely will operate at much higher voltages open circuit. if i recall from years ago on this forum, open circuit voltages of over 100 volts were not uncommon in moderate winds on 12 volt machines.

in any event there might be an increase in turn count and therefore an increase in resistance, i am just not convinced the difference will be 5 fold.  i would rather loose 10 volts due to added resistance from a 200volt stator than a half volt from a 12volt stator. i can do much more with 190 volts than i can 11 volts, (the losses are approx the same) with either a buck converter, or a transformer.

i am not stating the machine would be the same size, likely it would need to be larger in diameter to accomodate the added pole and have room to wind wire. given the center 1/3 of the blade set is basically useless we got lots of room for growth and not increase rotor diameter.
with increases in diameter we get higher rim speed, which equates to higher generated voltages, all else being equal. add poles and diameter perhaps we don't need additional turns of wire, therefore no increase in resistance.

"Hz increase via more poles, will only change the size of the cores required for using transformers. If using PWM controlled rectifiers (that are actually power supplies), then this is pointless except perhaps to get the ripple down for the switchers (caps required are less)."

can't disagree or agree on this one, all i know is what i am told by the transformer manufactures engineers, their opinion is to keep the cores
(surplus 60hz) at 60hz and above, although as you posit the power is down in lower hz so saturation is not a problem?

"Your boat analogy DID get stator loss down.... but only because you increased RPM. Because of that you didn't need to rewire the stator for your 135v, simply change the pulley, or increase rpm...... cant do that with a prop.....can do it with a IC motor."

first of all i did not increase the rpm in any of the tests, they were all run at an alternator speed of 4800rpm. i did not rewire or rewind the stators, they remain stock oem delta wound 12volt units during all testing. i kept the rpm as well as excitation current the same through all tests. too many variables make for worthless results, or at least very difficult to reconcile differences.

"If your pwm controlled rectifier has a transformer in it, then you don't need a transformer anywhere else.... ie if your idea of a controlled rectifier is a switch mode power supply, it can do it all anyway..... everything.

my pwm controlled rectifier does not have a transformer in it, it is fed by it, just the same as your switch mode power supply is fed by the transformer out on the utility pole.

"I just don't understand your mppt part until you can clarify what it is. Not interested in the carefully compiled code and micro, I need to know just what sort of animal it is talking to. Code is not relevant until we have somehing useful to control."

again, mppt is a software control scheme, algorithm, it is not hardware, even if falsely the big boys equate buck or buck/boost converters as being mppt, it ain't mppt with any hardware topology alone. not converters, inverters, cycloconverters, transformers, rotary machines, transmissions, belts and pulleys, none are anything other than hardware they don't become mppt without the coding and micro to tell it what to do.

we could say that a truck driver uses mppt technology, he has a power source and a load, and he has a converter between the two, known as the transmission it has many gears that matches and optimizes the power sources power to the load at hand... where is the "mppt" part one might ask,, it is in the microcontroller and its code (found between an experienced drivers ears).
the same hardware with an old woman that has never driven a stick transmission let alone an 80k lb truck even though she has a microcontroller it lacks the necessary experience (program code) to know how to control the hardware.
does this make sense?

in our case substitute  the big cummins engine with a wind rotor blade set and an 8-28mph wind, and substitute the 80k lb load for a battery bank, substitute the transmission for in this case a transformer and a controlled rectifier. the transformer is more analogous to the rear differential fixed ratio gear set and the controlled rectifier is analogous to the transmission.  for clarity this is more like an old bugatti type 57 where the transmission is behind the rear differential :)

"Control after the mppt can actually incorporate the mppt. It is concievable that the mppt could stall out the mill, and hold the battery very near float, and then need only a small dump to control the finer points. When the mill is heeavily stalled, it puts out almost nothing. Mine can swing easy 5w, down to 0 watts in the same wind. Dependent on the impedance of the load. At short circuit condition, the current is so high, and voltage so low (0ish) that the huge current makes for huge torque...... so blades stops (or near too)."

all of these issues could be controlled or mitigated by changes in program code of the micro, so that the rotor/blade set need not ever stall unless you want it to under certain circumstances, or should it see excess current and an unwanted drop in voltage level it could alter the pwm to alter delivery to either the load or to the dump load. it could even shift from one side to the other 10/90 (10 percent dump, 90 percent to load) for instance or visa versa and everything in between, vs available power from the wind (calculated) rotor speed, thermal concerns, etc.  even set a brake if equipped. at that point the limits are only  the imagination.

"But what is a controlled rectifier in your scheme."

i hope i have answered this question, if not to your satisfaction, please let me know and i will try to draw up or find examples of what i have in mind.

thanks Oz

bob g

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
Bob, I seperate the project into 2 parts.

1. The control circuit (I think very simple and not worth discussing until we have something to control).
2. The thing that will actually control the current. Buck, tranny, etc This is the tricky part unless we decide on transformer tapping.

The controlled rectifier you describe has an inductor on the input side..... the transformer or the stator if no transformer... it will still work the same way.

I think if you can find Flux's matching the load, you will see an exact picture of what you describe........ which is I think, exactly opposite of what you want really.

Lets leave the control for now. It is the easy bit.... but i will say this. Don't incorporate the wind reading into your algorithm.... the mill sees a different wind because of a lot of factors.... the main one will be incident angle, and it will be all over the place.... gravity furl .... a necessary curse. Stick with RPM, and it will work. If you think about why this is,  it will become obvious. It has built in negative feedback.... so it is stable.

I will look into your controlled switching and see if it can be a buck circuit, but I think a boost circuit at this stage.

Boat Alternator from 12v stator....... Think about this Bob, if it  develops 135v at 4800rpm..... this means cut in was  (12/135) x 4800=426 rpm with that level of rotor current for 12v batt or 852 rom for a 24v bank. So you have gone 11.25 times cut in. (12v)..... thats increasing the rpm.... whether you were aware or not. Thats the actuality.

Must go fix a problem at the museum now....later.

...................oztules

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 11:03:05 PM »
Oz

just so i can keep up...

are we somewhere close on the definition of "mppt"?

now to address some of your questions using the same format

"1. The control circuit (I think very simple and not worth discussing until we have something to control)."

agreed, plenty of ways to do the control side of things

"2. The thing that will actually control the current. Buck, tranny, etc This is the tricky part unless we decide on transformer tapping."

ok lets consider transformer tapping, maybe we do the tap changes electronically, via the microcontroller and code, "with" windspeed as a variable?  this way the micro can calculate parameters based on factors including windspeed?  while it is not necessary to do so, i think having the ability to monitor the windspeed and use that info in coding might be useful, if not in the beginning probably at somepoint down the road. my thinking is to incorporate the ability from the start, which is easy enough, whether we use it really is a matter of coding and nothing else?

"The controlled rectifier you describe has an inductor on the input side..... the transformer or the stator if no transformer... it will still work the same way."

yes we have an inductor on the input side, or rather the transformer can be part of a converter, as can the stator especially if iron cored, maybe if aircored? however...

if we look at the windgen as if it was the generator at the utility company, and the transformer as if it were mounted on the pole out behind the house,, the converter (your example) or controlled rectifier (my example) ought to be viewed as a separate unit operating more or less independent of either the generator or the transformer.

i realize this likely is not strictly the case, as the converter or controlled rectifier will always have some influence placed on it by the input parts.

" I think if you can find Flux's matching the load, you will see an exact picture of what you describe........ which is I think, exactly opposite of what you want really."

been a long time since i followed Flux's load matching project, i don't remember the particulars, i will accept that it isn't as you say "what i want"

"Boat Alternator from 12v stator....... Think about this Bob, if it  develops 135v at 4800rpm..... this means cut in was  (12/135) x 4800=426 rpm with that level of rotor current for 12v batt or 852 rom for a 24v bank. So you have gone 11.25 times cut in. (12v)..... thats increasing the rpm.... whether you were aware or not. Thats the actuality."

there is much more in play here than meets the eye, this is sort of a side note, and not directly related to the topic, i used it as an example of an alternator driving a transformer set.

we can get into the weeds on this one if you like, i am more than game for that action. but for now i think we ought to fully flesh out the proposed system.

if you would like links to some technical papers illustrating controlled rectifiers as used on alternators, pwm control schemes, switch mode control schemes of alternators and such let me know.  they are all btw related to the lundel claw pole automotive alternators, but the theory of operation is useful in understanding this proposed system.

let me know, i will send you what i have found in my links, bear in mind i have much more boxed up in storage that i will not be able to get to for about another year!

thanks Oz
bob g

Watt

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
Oz

This is very similar to the the transformer I did my experimenting with initially.  I say similar only in connections not core shape.  It too had 120v from 480 as this one.  This one also has 240 split phase for 120 two legs as well as 120 none split phase.

Edit, looking closer, it looks to only be split phase 120v.  Not the same but I can always rewire.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REX-Manufacturing-SC5HK-5-KVA-Transformer-Single-Phase-480V-HV-120-240V-LV-/160804562905?pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item2570b2e7d9

I will be driving up to look at this one to use to power my sleeping quarters until the rig we put out Friday is running with no problems.  I will then bring it home to butcher and use for further experimenting. 

I really appreciate your incite so far and will look forward to posting later on the subject. 

Thanks again Oz. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:33:51 PM by Watt »

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 12:25:24 AM »
Oz

i would like to add a few thoughts, rather thoughts i have had rolling around in the old noggin for a while now.

if a mppt controller can be made to work, and do it well, then it opens up some interesting options generally shunned today.

one of them is the wound field alternator...

before everyone starts rolling their collective eyes, bear with me a bit.

1. neo's are getting harder to get, and expensive

2. wound fields consume power

3. iron cores cog in permanent magnet machines

4. iron cores don't cog or rather don't need to cog and hinder startup with wound field machines, we can simply cut off the field and it freewheels.

so my thinking is this, a properly designed mppt controller must produce more useful power than the same machine would without its use, otherwise why use it?

assuming it will work, as advertized, and the gains are even 5%, (which is horribly conservative) that gain in output power could offset the losses associated with powering the field.

a well designed alternator can get by with as little as 2% of its rated output being used for excitation. in testing i have seen this to be a reality wherein an alternator can make 3kwatts output using only 35watts of input to the field (which is less than 2%)

there are advantages to the wound field machine, especially with control strategies available today.

the questions are many, such as

what about brush wear?  alternator brushes last hundred of thouands of mile in heavy trucks these days, running at speeds in excess of 5krpm.
they use quite small brush sets and small diameter slip rings, all which could be adapted for our use in a custom alternator. there are well designed, widely available and cheap as dirt. their lifespan in a low rpm windgenerator would likely be measured in decades.

the ability to vary the field gives us the best of both worlds, simple designs, good efficiency, no cog startup even with iron cores, and excellent output up near furling.

this of course depends on having the recovered power afforded by the mppt controller to cover those few tens of watts needed for excitation.

this is in all honesty my main interest in and mppt controller for wind power.

i am convinced that with a good controller one could design and build very competitive wound field machines. 

that really interests me!

using existing large frame stator stacks from a motor manufacture, and building a  lundell type claw pole rotor with many poles could easily be done. at the speeds we are talking about there aren't the forces involved on the rotor that there are in automotive alternators running many thousands of rpm.

i am thinking perhaps a stator about an inch thick and a rotor about 12 or more inches in diameter, and with 32 or more poles. we can adapt for use oem brush holders, slip ring assemblies, the stator stack, the field coil from an existing heavy duty alternator (they look like a spool, so no difficult hand winding needed).

i think we are close, just need the mppt converter, whatever its hardware architecture turns out to be.

bob g

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:27 AM »
Bob,
"are we somewhere close on the definition of "mppt"?"
It's looking that way, but in reality, the only thing that needs to be done is have a variable current amplifier. After that, everyone can do with it as they see fit.

"
if we look at the windgen as if it was the generator at the utility company, and the transformer as if it were mounted on the pole out behind the house,, the converter (your example) or controlled rectifier (my example) ought to be viewed as a separate unit operating more or less independent of either the generator or the transformer."

Thats  fair except thats where the FCC will shoot you. Same as for using the windmill stator in that fashion. The transformer close by is less of a radiator, and has no other loads across it. It may still need filters before it.

i have not had any experience with the rectification you propose, except for a battery charging unit that used switched SCR's... but it had it's own transformer, and filtering to keep the mains clean....Also it was just a regulator, not trying to be a converter... maybe someone with more experience is needed here, or your reference links perhaps.

From Flux's matching the load:
(stolen from another part of the site from Flux)

Further to this picture, Flux mentions to take away the diode, the fet, and replace the bottom three diodes with fets (gated together) to get a boost circuit for the alt.

The alternator story, look deeply into it, and equate it with a mill.... That alt is over speed by 11:1 from what we will see in a mill.... but yes it is a an example of what can be done, and as you say, there are plenty of other things happening as well. I think I have covered reactance and mitigation earlier though.

Wound field machines have been explored extensively, and Flux cut his teeth on them.

They have much less use for the mppt, as they don't tend to stall the mills in direct drive... last thing that will happen.

I can see no reason to be put off with them. Chris olsen's step up drive would make them a serious contender with or without the mppt. but gee wind power has been priced out of existence with solar now if you want power to live by.

That said, as a windmiller ... because I can sort of thing, it is a laudable thing to follow.

Without Chris's gearbox, it is difficult to see a future with it though.

It is the lower power that is very important to most folks. Here that is not such a problem, where the AWP is it is a non-issue, but for most it is of prime importance, and thats where the neo's star...... I hate them because they rot!!.... but everything else about them is good.

Until I solve the rot problem to my satisfaction, the only running mill here is the old water pumper just outside..... at least I can still watch that.

Mppt is not that special at lower power, as the three curves are close at that point (rpm, alt power and wind power curves), and if you wind for later cut in, and use a little booster, your probably as good as is needed.

It is when the curves start to diverge badly that load matching becomes important, and in truth, the batteries are well on the way to being charged by then anyway.

Those who wind for early cut in will benefit, particularly when they have low SOC, as stall is probably going to curtail their power levels until the batts come up a bit, and let the mill get going.... wound field, ferrites etc will not have this effect anyway near as much.

To me, making a bigger mill and being content that you have blitzed the smaller ones using mppt is good enough, and costs no more (for me anyway)
It is of passing interest, and if i can help folks..... that for reasons that escape me want one, then I will try to help with what I can.

..........oztules

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:22 AM »
Watt,
Hope it helps you make something you want.

..............oztules

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
in fairness, i much admit that if i had decided to buy a place with predominately lighter winds, then i probably like most others would be concerned with machine and technologies that could milk the last watt out of what little power was available.

it that case, i would be standing in a very  long line wanting some sort of mppt boost converter with that goal in mind. i would also not be thinking of a wound field machine.

this however is not my case, i very carefully chose the specific location to buy based on its wind resource as a primary concern. the average wind speed up on that ridge allows me to consider things other folks might not.

your point on solar is valid as well, over the last few years i have amassed more than adequate amounts of PV panels to basically do all my needs save for maybe welding. even that i could probably do with the sun as long as it was short duration small project and not some production welding project.

the decision to buy the property was about 10 years ago now, and things have changed remarkably. plenty of solar now, and plenty of sun here most all the time. i also got into microcogeneration in a big way, and then found that i have cheap natural gas to fuel it with.  as long as i have use for the waste heat (easy in winter, working on absorption cooling for summer) i can compete using the cogen with mains electricity prices of effectively ~15cents a kw/hr.

so as it turns out i really don't need a wind generator, however i have always had an attraction to that source of energy.

anyway, i will post up some links that may or may not be of use to you, maybe they will be useful down the road too?

short of time just now, but later today i will post them

thanks for the discussion

bob g

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
thats a tough question,

i know that they run some hi perf gokarts on alcohol, like the rapter engine.

i don't know of any small engine's that will tolerate straight alcohol. upper cylinder lube, carb corrosion problems are but two of the main problems one would have to contend with.

not sure how to get around the corrosion problem associated with alcohol and aluminum carburator parts.

interesting question, don't have an answer but let me do a bit of research to see if i can find someone that is doing what you want to do.

bob g

Add a cup of two stroke to every 30L 22G of alky  worked for me perfectly
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
"this however is not my case, i very carefully chose the specific location to buy based on its wind resource as a primary concern. the average wind speed up on that ridge allows me to consider things other folks might not."

We have more in common than we think.this however is not my case, i very carefully chose the specific location to buy based on its wind resource as a primary concern. the average wind speed up on that ridge allows me to consider things other folks might not.

That is exactly why I chose to retire  to an island in the roaring forties, in the roughest stretch of water in the country.... and I love it, just don't need a windmill any more.

Good discussion, others may well have learned something from it too.

................oztules