Author Topic: Laminate film for trials  (Read 5662 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Laminate film for trials
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
We have changed the way we buy EVA laminate film at work because of the tight market (competition with electronics makers like Apple and big screen tv makers).

There were three rolls of 5 mil EVA headed for the trash I snagged today and took home. The longer 2 rolls are 27" wide and one roll is 11" wide. If someone who makes their own panels here would like pieces for trials, let me know. You can have samples for free as long as we get a report on how it went.

I don't need to make money selling this, but I don't have a vacuum board and a set of cells to test with. If it works there is plenty for everyone.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Laminate film for trials
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Would you want to trade some for 3x6 Evergreen PV wafers w/ tabs?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
DanG, If you have a good use for this you can have one of the rolls. I got them for free. They are quite heavy with the core they have, maybe 40lbs. We go back to work Tuesday, and I get a pretty good discount using WorldShip for UPS at work (about 45% off retail). If Otherpower wants to sell this off piece wise to pay for site hosting, that would be fine, too.

Tritium

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »
I have a couple of hundred cells laying around. How about 10' of the wider material? I don't know how soon I will get to using it but it would be nice to have when ready.

Thurmond

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
Yes please, Sir!

EDIT: I was thinking of making up sub-panels, not invest the effing effort in 36 or 72-cell panels and instead go with 3, 6V nominal to make it easier to recycle the tempered glass - that is the sticking point, having to special order 70 or 100 sheets of glass in order to get a decent price...

One of the larger rolls would be heaven - and some of the narrow stuff to get my process tuned in or something.

I've had 2000~ wafers 'incubating' (TomW's words) now for a while waiting for other components to appear  ;D

These are sort-of hand-deliver only, no good way to ship them but I'll cobbel together a method if you want a herd of the most fragile shiny blue things ever made.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:11:55 PM by DanG »

Rover

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
Dang,

I've actually thought of something similar... like 9 Celll panels... to arrange anyway I wanted em...

then.. I looked at the cost of doing so vs just buying a panel....

sorry Dnix... not meaning to take this on a tangent

Rover
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Tritium and DanG, send me PM's with addresses. After Christmas things will be calmer for the mail/UPS system. I will send both of you what you asked for. That will leave a tall roll and a short roll with me for someone else. DanG in the PM let me know how much of the 11" material you want.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:49:09 PM by dnix71 »

dbcollen

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 02:17:49 AM »
DanG sent me a small box containing a few thousand solar cells ;D

they are definitely hand deliver

Dustin

rossw

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »
DanG sent me a small box containing a few thousand solar cells ;D

Didn't the instructions say "Some assembly required"  :(

Samson

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
Thank you for sending me the EVA.  Do you know what temperature you laminate at with this material?
I tried a small piece (2 sq inches) on aluminum today and found one corner adhered very well while the rest failed to stick at all. It seemed lie to flat and I was puzzled why the whole piece did not adhere. I used 200 deg F for 20 minutes and noticed only the one corner stuck then I raised the temperature in 25 deg steps over 10 minutes with no change.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
200F is too low. I can check at work tomorrow, but I think it's between 265F and 275F.

You need a vacuum frame and it adheres immediately or not at all. The laminatation press we use has two heated rollers and laminates 1000's of posters an hour.

A hair dryer or heat gun should work, but you need to keep it moving. The surface has to be clean, too. Maybe wipe down with rubbing alcohol first and wait for it to dry, them try laminating again.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:02:42 PM by dnix71 »

Samson

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
Thank you for sending me the EVA.  Do you know what temperature you laminate at with this material?
I tried a small piece (2 sq inches) on aluminum today and found one corner adhered very well while the rest failed to stick at all. It seemed lie to flat and I was puzzled why the whole piece did not adhere. I used 200 deg F for 20 minutes and noticed only the one corner stuck then I raised the temperature in 25 deg steps over 10 minutes with no change.

Tried another test piece and found that it did not adhere as it was not lying flat. I had thought as it heated it laid down evenly but not quite. I pressed it gently to make it contact the aluminum and it adhered throughout. The bond is very strong. Good stuff!

adobejoe

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »
 Do you have any more of the laminite? We are interested in 3 - 1 foot samples.
We may be interested in more. Please call us 307-754-5440 or e-mail us at hiqtech@bresnan.net.
We will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and best regards,
                                     Andy

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
There is lots left, Andy. I sent you an email.

barbados

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
Hi DNIX71,

If you have any more I would be interested in trying out a sample.

My email is fostera@caribank.org

Thanks

Andre

bob golding

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »
been thinking of trying to use a heated roller to laminate the EVA onto  my panels. they are rejects  with shattered glass. they are holding together ok and there are not any jagged bits of glass sticking up. anyone got any any ideas on a heated roller? i do have a  silicone heat mat which i could put to use if i can think of a way to get power to it. i could just let it twist up and  untwist it as i go. not sure if the concept is sound though?  would the roller stick to the eva for instance? anyone got any ideas.? would an electric iron work i wonder?
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
A hair dryer or heat gun works fine, but there must be some mechanical contact while the heating/cross linking takes place. You don't need a lot of pressure, just a uniform flat contact so the EVA side will bond properly.

Harold in CR

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »

Could you send me an email ??  hm in cr at g mail  Thanks

barbados

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
Hi Guys ,

I found an interesting article showing how to laminate a PV panel using a solar oven.

www.mainesolar.org/EVA.pdf

Hope this is helpful.

Rgds

Andre