Author Topic: nice features in a small package  (Read 2792 times)

kitestrings

nice features in a small package
« on: April 17, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »
We have a small generator shed at the end of our woodshed.
11771-0

11772-1
In this case we have one of our original ~35-YO, 50 watt Arco solar panels on the south wall of shed.  It charges a deep-cycle battery that powers a couple of occupancy sensors and LED lights for the woodshed and path we travel to the garage.  The generator shed of course houses the generator, and a hydraulic pump for the woodsplitter.  The starting battery is isolated, but we've always just had it on a plug-in trickle charger.  It doesn't run often, but needs a solid battery (and sometimes a little external pre-heating) to fire in colder temps.

I've been wanting to try one of these little charge controllers for a awhile.  It's MPPT and designed to charge a "Board" battery, while separately trickle charging a starting battery (presumably in an RV or marine application).

https://www.votronic.de/index.php/en/products2/solar-technology/charging-controllers/standard-version-mpp/mpp-165-duo-dig#description

Wired it just temporarily to get a feel for it, and to further contemplate where I might more permanently mount things, but so far I'm impressed with the quality and features.  I plan to put a bit larger solar panel on it this summer.
11773-2

kitestrings

Re: nice features in a small package
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
The digital display is the "Board" bank.  It indicates DCV, Amps, watts, Ah's, and Wh's.  The analog meter is the starting battery.  There's an optional temp sensor, which we do not have.  You can also selct different charging algorithms based on battery type (including LiFePO4).

Starting with the next size up - they make 165, 250, 350 & 430 watt versions - has an "AES" ('Auto Energy Selector') which can control certain RV refrigerators when there is excess PV production, and sounds like would be easily adapted to other diversion/opportunity loads.

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 06:40:39 AM »
Nice, with the low cost of microprocessors and other programmable chips, the price for these types of items seems to be getting cheaper and the devices seem to be being programmed for more features as time goes by.  I also have some old Arco panels still running.  My oldest ones are old approximately 2 inch round cell 35 Watt models that were made in the early 80's I think around 81, making them closing in on 40 years old.  If made right those panels last and last, although in some cases the steel backer boards on mine have seriously deteriorated.  I cleaned up and coated the backs of a few of mine with silicone rubber a few years back as the plastic covering had cracked and the steel plates had rusted up to the point that it showed on the front side of the panel.   If made right these things can last at least 40 years it seems, and I think there was room for improvement in the design on the old ones that I have. 
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:42:53 PM »
That looks handy.
I also notice the 12V receptacle/plug panel just beside it which I've never seen before but I think I could find some uses for, too.
How/where do you buy Voltronic products?  Not seeing it on Amazon, West Marine, etc.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
Our original RE system was 4, then expanded to 6 - 50 watt Arco panels.  I kept this one and sold the other, but they all still produced power.  It's amazing that you can get this kind of performance in somthing the size of maybe two decks of cards.

Interesting story here on the purchase -

I had tried to find a US dealer, and also tried Amazon and a number of off-grid suppliers I knew; no luck.  I emailed the company directly, and to my surprise got a response the next day.  They didn't know of any US suppliers.  But, the same night I found it on eBay, with the matching computer/meter, so I took a chance and ordered it.

Shortly I received an email from "Charlie" saying he mailed it out Monday (it was Tuesday), and I should see it in 5-10 working days...and to contact him if it went past that date.  He included a picture of the label, and to my surprise it was leaving from Auckland.  The following Monday it was on my doorstep.

I wasn't feeling very "green" in my purchase, though a friend has suggested the plane would have flown with, or without my (190g) package.  Anyway, they say it's a small world.  I guess so, huh.

The DC outlets are just automotive lighter plugs mounted in blank cover plates that I bored to receive them.  When we built our house I could find much else.  Folks were recommending plug and receptacles with a blade pattern different than 120VAC, but these were heavy and expensive.  Today I'd probably use mostly USB plugs which are readily available, but these work fine for lights and they are fused on the mail plug.