Author Topic: "Sun Electroncis" a Good Company to Purchase Panels from?  (Read 6888 times)

Mastiffman

"Sun Electroncis" a Good Company to Purchase Panels from?
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
Hey Gang,

I was doing a search for solar panels today and came accross a link for blemished but properly functioning solar panles sold by a company called "Sun Electronics".

Here is the Link: http://www.sunelec.com/solar-panels-c-5.html

Would this be a good company/ idea to purchase my first solar panels from? They are properly Certified in type.

Thanks!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: "Sun Electroncis" a Good Company to Purchase Panels from?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
Mastiffman;
The general answer would be yes. HOWever, they can be a little hard on phone calls and the shipping can be steep so be sure of what you're ordering.
Some of their posts and cost are per/pallet.
Cheers;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Watt

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Mastiffman;
The general answer would be yes. HOWever, they can be a little hard on phone calls and the shipping can be steep so be sure of what you're ordering.
Cheers;
Bruce S

Very true.  Also, do not use their online checkout, be patient until you can talk to them on the phone and can place your order.  I've had great service calling Arizona. 

Mastiffman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
Mastiffman;
Cheers;
Bruce S

Gotcha! Thanks for the tip. What do you mena exactly by "A little hard on Phone Calls". Like ahrd to deal with or hard to reach, etc...?

Mastiffman;
Cheers;
Bruce S

Very true.  Also, do not use their online checkout, be patient until you can talk to them on the phone and can place your order.  I've had great service calling Arizona.

Over the phone ordering is best, CHECK! ;)

Is there a better company that one could recommend, to purchase panels from that are blemished but functional like site provides?

By the way, to you both.... What exactly are Vmps and what would be a good Wattage and Amperage to start off with two panels, considering that I can afford two at the mooment as I will need to build the rest of the setup out the budget that available?

If I'm going to be charging a 12v 2-4 battery bank for a beginning system, it would most likely be best to run these two penels in series to charge the bank faster?

Still Leaarning the ropes so to speak, but I learn quickly and I'm not stubbon and will not do things against better Wisdom.

So, "Help me Obi-wan... You're my only hope!?"   ;)

Watt

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
Will you be using MPPT with these panels?

Mastiffman

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »

Is there any other way?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
Mastiffman;
Vmp means Volts Maximum_peak. this is basically the maximum peak performance you can get out of a panel. Most time you'll see something for 12V systems to be 17 - 22 Vmp , as 12V system need higher that 13.8 to charge most standard battery types.

For you system, I didn't see at what voltage you'll be building system.
This will certainly make a difference  ;D.
Bruce S

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

Is there any other way?
Yes there is  ;). A MPPT controller will allow you to get as much power at any given time, BUT there is a point where it may not be cost effective. Small system such as mine (I'm on grid) does not.
Plus you can weigh the costs of say purchasing another panel versus the extra cost of a MPPT controller.

Mastiffman

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Mastiffman;
Vmp means Volts Maximum_peak. this is basically the maximum peak performance you can get out of a panel. Most time you'll see something for 12V systems to be 17 - 22 Vmp , as 12V system need higher that 13.8 to charge most standard battery types.

For you system, I didn't see at what voltage you'll be building system.
This will certainly make a difference  .
Bruce S
I was thinking of just 2-4 battery 12v to begin.

Yes there is  ;). A MPPT controller will allow you to get as much power at any given time, BUT there is a point where it may not be cost effective. Small system such as mine (I'm on grid) does not.
Plus you can weigh the costs of say purchasing another panel versus the extra cost of a MPPT controller.

That sarcastic but I do Greatly appreciate that Explain!

I did a google price search and some are as low as $25. But Obviously that's probably not something built with quality and may not handle the power level (although nothing substantial) that I'm looking into..?

EDIT: BTW, I just placed a couple of the 195watt @ $229.97 panels in the shopping cart and calculated shipping and they wanted about $170 for shipping bring the total to just under $630... not worth it my opinion... I may as well try and find some on craigslist, huh?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:01:37 PM by Mastiffman »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
Some of the ones on ebay can be of high quality, even the ones down in the $25 range, you just have to read and know what to look for.
Careful with some of the stuff on Craigslist :-) , I've begun seeing relabeled HF and Cummins panels and "kits" being sold for more than you could buy them at both places.

Since you will be working with 12V sized stuff, the panel Vmp you should be looking at are the sub 22Vmp area. You certainly can go higher, but you can run into problems with controllers letting out majick smoke.

Also, Marine batteries>> If you have them or they come free to very cheap, or just want to learn on them, its okay.
They really aren't true deep cycle batteries like you would think. There are hybrid ones, but I've not used them so I can't really say if they're any better than grabbing some 6V golf cart batteries.
A neighbor set his system with two of them from Sam's and has been using them with his dual HF 45 watt system for 3 years now. He keeps a 1000 watt inverter connected (NOT turned on) in case they loose power OR he's hosting a party that goes into the weeeee hours.  8)

Mastiffman

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
Some of the ones on ebay can be of high quality, even the ones down in the $25 range, you just have to read and know what to look for.
Careful with some of the stuff on Craigslist :-) , I've begun seeing relabeled HF and Cummins panels and "kits" being sold for more than you could buy them at both places.

Since you will be working with 12V sized stuff, the panel Vmp you should be looking at are the sub 22Vmp area. You certainly can go higher, but you can run into problems with controllers letting out majick smoke.

Also, Marine batteries>> If you have them or they come free to very cheap, or just want to learn on them, its okay.
They really aren't true deep cycle batteries like you would think. There are hybrid ones, but I've not used them so I can't really say if they're any better than grabbing some 6V golf cart batteries.
A neighbor set his system with two of them from Sam's and has been using them with his dual HF 45 watt system for 3 years now. He keeps a 1000 watt inverter connected (NOT turned on) in case they loose power OR he's hosting a party that goes into the weeeee hours.  8)

Okay, thanks for the heads up on CL, HF and Cummins Panels. But honestly, If it's 45watters, they are HF in my mind. There is another fellow selling 85w panels for $200/panel!?  :o So... Those guys are pretty easy to spot.

So lets say that I wanted to be prepared for a near future upgrade. I'm thinking that it would be more logical to get a CC that is MPPT and is capable of handling more panels, although a bit extra coin would be involved, but this all part of planning/preparing for a good future system in my mind. Is there a rule of thumb for power handling of CC/ panels added?

Okay, I was underthe impression that Marine are good way to go but that's fine too. I saw some p-35's at HD today when picking up a 240v/20a extension cord for my Fueled Genny. I looked for some specs but only saw 6v Lawn mower batt @ 300 Cold Crank Amps on the Label. So I figured that it wasn't even worth looking at. I've seen a lot of basic systems using "Pairs" of 6v batteries. Is that becasue of limitations in Batt size (i.e. No 12v in that type manufactured) or is there an advantage to this configuration? I want to start off with batteries that I won't have to replace when I add more, that I can just get the same type and add them into the bank. So I would obviously want them to be lucrative througout the industry....

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
Mastiffman - where abouts in the States are you? Use the distance search filter in eBay?

http://myworld.ebay.com/fred480v/  <---- 920-960 watts $800-ish, same shipping since freight but maybe closer for road trip to pick 'em up. (Michigan City, Indiana)

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
Just the other day some one posted a link to some nice 100 watt panels. No nothing about the seller or anything.
Here is the link.http://www.ebay.com/itm/WSolar-100-Watt-Solar-Panel-12V-UL-/140768362779
I will look up where I bought some of mine. Has free shipping. All I bought where what thay said they were.

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Here it is. This is where I get mine.
http://www.ul-solar.com/Wholesale_125_watt_12_Volt_Solar_Panel_Lot_p/who-stp125p.htm
No hassle, Fast shipping. Could be wrapped a little better for shipping.
But I check them good before signing.

Good luck

Mastiffman

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
Mastiffman - where abouts in the States are you? Use the distance search filter in eBay?
http://myworld.ebay.com/fred480v/  <---- 920-960 watts $800-ish, same shipping since freight but maybe closer for road trip to pick 'em up. (Michigan City, Indiana)

Hey Dan,

I'm in SE, Michigan. Outskirts of Metro Detroit. NE sector of I-96 and I-275... I have a 02 Explorer that gets about 335m/tank. 22 gallon tank. Might be an option to travel, if I could find some good Certified panels within my budget and worth the Tank of Fuel. $800 is quite a bit over my spending budget at the moment.

Just the other day some one posted a link to some nice 100 watt panels. No nothing about the seller or anything.
Here is the link.http://www.ebay.com/itm/WSolar-100-Watt-Solar-Panel-12V-UL-/140768362779
I will look up where I bought some of mine. Has free shipping. All I bought where what thay said they were.

Yeah, I thought that was ChrisO. If so, the link showed them at $180/panel when I took a look. now they are $195.  :o

I would appreciate some free shipping. Of course I'm sure the price will be a bit higher per panel to counter balance the shipping for them. NO Biggie though if it's within reason.

I found some "Sharp Brand" "B Grade" (?) panels on CL that are4 Metro Detroit Local. They have a whole pallet of them. They are asking $1.15/ watt...

Here's the Link... Are these any good? Maybe sharp would have some details on them? They seem to be from that Sun Electronics online store that I posted in the OP of this therad...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/fod/3057316731.html

Mastiffman

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »
Here it is. This is where I get mine.
http://www.ul-solar.com/Wholesale_125_watt_12_Volt_Solar_Panel_Lot_p/who-stp125p.htm
No hassle, Fast shipping. Could be wrapped a little better for shipping.
But I check them good before signing.

Good luck

Thanks... Yeah, $491/ 250watts... That $1.96/watt

Ordering from the Sun Eletronics including shipping of 2 195w panels for 390w total @ $627 total, is $1.61/ watt....

So, I'll just keep and eye peeled I guess for some locally... Thank you all for the help so far! This community seems like a pretty reliable bunch... (Humorous on some threads too!)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:50:20 PM by Mastiffman »

freejuice

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
I bought 22 210w panels from Sun Electric when they had that huge Evergreen sale @ .78 cents a watt....everything went smoothly, they even called me a day ahead of time and gave me the information who the freight carrier was and a tracking number....from Miami to the Upstate of South Carolina was about 250 bucks freight; on a nice secure pallet which stood about 5 feet tall and weighed in close to 1000 lbs.
 I would not hesitate to buy from them again

Tritium

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
I won't buy from anybody but Sun. I have not had any bad luck with them at all but some have had issues as with ANY company. This message is sent using Sunelec.com panel produced power. I currently have 1620 watts of their panels.

Thurmond

freejuice

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
LOL Thurmond I hear ya!
 Not to hijack a thread but I might add here are my Sun Electric panels, at their current production....Also it appears there no quality issues either:
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/jstg59025

Mastiffman

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
WOW, nice expereince with them then. Good. That gives me comfort! ;)

I want to ask you guys.

What are the three top batteries that I could go with from everyone's expertise. Taking into account that I'm goingt o use these batteries for solar and a bit of wind charging.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »
for a smallish system, there aren't a ton of options.  trojan t-105's have an excellent reputation.  6v golf cart batteries from sams club made by johnson controls seem to be pretty decent for a whole lot less money! 

personally, i run trojan t-125's.  love them so far, but they're only 2+ years old...

adam

Mastiffman

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
for a smallish system, there aren't a ton of options.  trojan t-105's have an excellent reputation.  6v golf cart batteries from sams club made by johnson controls seem to be pretty decent for a whole lot less money! 

personally, i run trojan t-125's.  love them so far, but they're only 2+ years old...

adam

Okay. Thanks. I want something that I will be able to keep and add the same batteries to in intervals of cash flow... How many shuold I start with or does that depend on how many Ah I want to run them?

Tritium

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 09:03:11 PM »

adam

Caution:  Not all Sams Club batteries come from the same manufacturer. Different parts of the country are serviced by different re-branded batteries. My club was U.S.Battery but now are a poor Chinese knockoff.

Thurmond

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
as thurmond says, not all SC batteries are the same.  i seem to have heard johnson controls makes the good ones.  who knows, times change. 

Okay. Thanks. I want something that I will be able to keep and add the same batteries to in intervals of cash flow... How many shuold I start with or does that depend on how many Ah I want to run them?

adding batteries is a tricky thing.  ideally you start with as many as you finish.  it's not ideal to add brand new batteries to lets say a four year old group.  the new will only perfrom as good as the old.

so if you can get a decent amount to start, and lets say add some more within a year, that's not a bad gig.  just try and get as many as you think you'll need within a fairly timely manner.

adam 

Mastiffman

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »

Caution:  Not all Sams Club batteries come from the same manufacturer. Different parts of the country are serviced by different re-branded batteries. My club was U.S.Battery but now are a poor Chinese knockoff.

Thurmond

Okay, thanks fro the heads up. Will Ihave to speak with a manger about this to find out?

as thurmond says, not all SC batteries are the same.  i seem to have heard johnson controls makes the good ones.  who knows, times change. 

adding batteries is a tricky thing.  ideally you start with as many as you finish.  it's not ideal to add brand new batteries to lets say a four year old group.  the new will only perfrom as good as the old.

so if you can get a decent amount to start, and lets say add some more within a year, that's not a bad gig.  just try and get as many as you think you'll need within a fairly timely manner.

adam

Oh yeah, That is exactly what I"m planning on. Taking no time in comparison to do so. a Year will be at the very latest and I mean very latest....