Author Topic: damaged panels,series or parallel?  (Read 1542 times)

bob golding

damaged panels,series or parallel?
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
i now have all of my damaged panels 3 250 watt all the same make. as some have damaged cells. i am not sure if i should wire them in series or parallel.
 they are feeding straight into a 24 volt battery bank with a 40 amp charge controller. i also have my wind turbine feeding the bank as well.
no mppt as i can get the panels cheaper than i can get a decent mppt controller. with just one panel and the turbine i am keeping my batteries happy. it is summer and there is more wind than usual, but far less sun than is usual in summer in the UK.
total output of each panel is 36 volts 8 amps. i have read that 3 times the voltage rating of your battery bank is the max.

so 108 volts in series. of course it will be a lot lower than this given line losses and impedance matching to the batteries.

my thinking is to go with parallel as this will reduce losses due to mismatches between the panels due too damaged cells broken glass ect. i also want to site the panels so one is facing east one south and one west. this is because clear skies at around noon are not guaranteed. if fact we seem to get more sun in the morning and evening than we do around midday.
anyone see any anything i might have missed in this idea.?

if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: damaged panels,series or parallel?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »
I have an incredible mish-mash of not-very-well-matched (12V nominal) panels in parallel for my off-grid system, deliberately pointing in somewhat different directions to catch more of the sun.  I let my (MPPT) controller sort out the result the best it can.

I'd say that you should only string in series panels with the same shading and direction and actual rating (allowing for damage).  Then parallel up such groups of panels (pointing in different directions or whatever) with approximate matching nominal Vmp.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Re: damaged panels,series or parallel?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
You will need a larger controler for that many watts
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~