Author Topic: Its been a Long time ... Glad this site is still here.!!  (Read 2325 times)

Steakman

Its been a Long time ... Glad this site is still here.!!
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Its been likely 5 years since I posted here. With kids and all..the time just wasnt there. But alt energy has always been in the bk of my mind...more so as the utility companies keep adding tons of what I call "bogus" charges on the bills.  My favourite being "customer charge" $15/month thank you very much.!

Fast Forward 5 years, kids off to college this Sep. Me gone to Fort McMurray to work for some real coin and given as such..looking for that nice little hideaway..off the grid somewhere in Southern BC. for the upcomming retirement.

Nice new Site guys.!

I'll be doing plenty of reading, looking for materials, acquiring some panels (man the price has dropped.!), a good set of DCycle batts (surettes maybe)..and if you guys ever do a turbine workshop in Alberta..I do believe I will attend that.

Cheers to all

Stk

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Its been a Long time ... Glad this site is still here.!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »
Welcom back to the forums! been off grid in bc for 3 years now and them money grubbers couldn't pay me to back on their crap service! ;) Solar and Hydro are the best option here in on the sunshine coast for most parts!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »
It seems that the price of power from the power companies gets just a little more each year. I would like to know what things will cost in a couple of years. I just got my power bill and compared to last years it cost me more. It is not much but $14.00 more  a  month than last years for the same amount of power used.  Hopefully next May when I retire I will be able to get my solar in place and then the next year my hydro. It will take me about 7 years to start to balance the cost of my solar and micro hydro systems aginest the price of grid power now.  It will just take some work on my own to get the benefit for the cost. better than working for someone else paying taxes to work and paying taxes for the power company. It will take me several years to record the cost of thinigs and seeing what the price of things will be. where I am living now is in a town my average monthly payment for power is $182.00 Gas and Elec. and Water is $58.00 month. $240.oo = roughly $3000.oo per year. My water up there will be free, my power will be the sun and water. I have several springs on my property for water. I'll be off grid, 60a, and back in the woods becoming totally self-sustaining within three years. I heat with wood and do cooking with wood. That gives me a cost price range of around  $20,000.oo. We  will see how things go. Welcome back!!
MntMnROY 13

Steakman

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
Right on guys...  I too have looked at my power consumption in my lil bungalow. We have 1000 ft sq up and 1000 down. Have installed LED's from costco for the Carriage lights, use compact flourescent in the garage with a set of 6 LED GU10's in the kitchen, use cold water for laundry and i keep the temp at 68 in the winter.!  Bugs the wife..and young adult females (2)..but any warmer, and i cant sleep.! But soon the young 2 will be gone for college...and that alone will make a difference in that they wont be taking hollywood showers of 20 min per.!  Depending on how things go here in Fort Mac (working as a contractor for stupid money ie: buckets of it), we likely will sell and head west into the mountains of Gods country...meanwhile I shall read and observe..and if a good deal plops in fornt of me, grab it.!

cheers and thanks,

Stk

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
Pick your opportunity to move carefully.  Country properties can be difficult to sell, this affects the price you will pay, to your advantage.  At high times in the real estate market, the sellers won't be so flexible on the price.  With so much money pouring through Fort Mac you might think it'll be easy to snap up a cottage in the BC interior, maybe it will be easy but may it'll be easy because you're buying someone else's problem.  Careful what you wish for!  The strategy of watching for the right chance to come your way, sounds like a good one, if you can wait.
Say what you will about the habits of females, they make life worth living.  If they ain't happy, then you ain't happy.
Me, I like living out in the big sky country.  Mountains get claustrophobic.  They make the wind do silly things, too...  better to let the breeze have a good straight run before hitting the turbine, IMHO.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca