Author Topic: CSB Batteries  (Read 2010 times)

windy

CSB Batteries
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
 I have a chance to buy 32 CSB Batteries that came out of a UPS. They are SLA deep cycle  with a 75 ah rating, 12volt and 280 watt. Here is the website with the info. http://www.csb-battery.com/english/01_product/02_detail.php?fid=8&pid=36
 They are 5 years old and they want 40 dollars each with a discount on multiple batteries purchased. They claim that the batteries were only discharged a handful of times.
 My system is 48 volts and am thinking of getting 32 of these. Four batteries tied in series, with the eight strings tied in parallel.
 If anyone has any comments on using this style of battery, or if it would be a good deal, I would appreciate it. New, they are 180 dollars each.

windy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:58:23 PM by windy »
I don't claim to be an electrical engineer. I just know enough to keep from getting electrocuted.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: CSB Batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »
usualy you can get them in the scrap yard for less, IMO only good job for that type

But good practic bank I supose!

Actualy if they are the same discribed they may well be AGM, Well worth it if that's the case!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

definitionofis

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
My reading says you should get 10 years out of deep cycle batteries if they were not discharged below 50% often. Can you believe a seller? I learned to be skeptical of sellers, but a UPS is often just minutes or seconds of discharge during power blips.

I have NO KNOWLEDGE of those particular batteries.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
I see on another site those batteries weigh in at 56.88 lbs so here at the scrapyard they are worth $16 each. (http://www.powerprosinc.com/HRL12280W-CSB-Battery.html)

If you are counting on thur-tee-too working batteries you're going to need spares or the ability to exchange under-performing batteries for another - they have enough stock on hand to cover getting a couple of lemons out of 32? Thats a huge number of smallish batteries.

I fell victim to AGM/Gel battery greed on some used 110AH 12V's - My opinion is don't go through the motions for those you've posted. If you needed a camper battery or two-battery string for a workshop maybe but thats A LOT of money for something you can't resell.

Save your money for something less delicate and of known NEW quality. W/O considering the balancing and safety problems of eight parallel strings just the interconnects and string fusing would likely break your bank and then also maybe be unusable on the next iteration of battery bank you get.

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
should you decide to have a go with these, be sure to take a good
digital voltmeter with you, and i would not accept any of them that
were under 12.2volts (which technically is a depleted battery) and
for the price i would not accept any under 12.5volts.

my younger brother just brought in 9 gell batteries 100amp/hr 12volt
which on the surface looked good at 11 bucks each, however there was only one that was over 12volts, the remainder were under 11 with most under 8volts and a couple at 3.x volts each!

i agreed to work with them, carefully recharging them one by one to see if i can get them up to full charge... all so far have topped out just fine, but it is still to be seen what their available capacity remains.

11 bucks each for 3 yo batteries is an ok deal because they are worth 15 bucks each as cores to me, however had they been 40 bucks each?
not such a good deal.

the guy that had them had them sitting in his garage for the last year or so, he thought he had gold, but without maintenance charging it is a real crap shoot.

don't get stung by someone like that.

take your meter, cull out the worst and offer him 25 bucks each for the best of the lot, maybe you will only get one or two strings that are in good state of charge and useable. 

i would go ahead a buy a couple extra's to keep on hand and in rotation with the strings so that you will have a spare of the same age/capacity/type if needed.

at 25bucks each you would be risking ~10bucks each (less core value) and in my opinion that would be a reasonable gamble given the insanely high price of new batteries these days.

bob g

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member