Author Topic: potting individual coils  (Read 8935 times)

kitestrings

Re: potting individual coils
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
fab,

Interesting.  I'm waffling bewteen a full out vacuum impregation - which I'm starting to favor - or, air removal and injection (as Tritium suggested), and something like this approach.

The epoxy we're using would seem to have a bit better thermal properties than the varnish insulation.  They make also make a thinner.  A similar option might be to use a thinner version of the same epoxy to dip the coils, then cast with the thicker, sronger mix, perhaps with matting or strand added.

I agree.  That's a nice looking stator.

~ks

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
I like the dipping in the thinner thing, that way you're using the same epoxy for the whole thing.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 06:02:12 AM »
Might be worth checking with the epoxy manufacturues, there may be something you can add to thin the resisn for wetting the coil, then use the full thickness for potting.

Fab. there is a decent glass tape from 3M ( scotch) that is a long way removed from the pvc tape usually used here, if that is what you used then probably it is fine.

Flux