Author Topic: Voltage Regulators  (Read 2654 times)

bioevolve

Voltage Regulators
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
I have both Soalr Panels and Wind Turbine setups, I was wondering is there an Adjustable Voltage Regulator for those?
Example:
My Wind Turbine Motor is 100VDC at full rpms (spikes to 100VDC, but avg is about 50VDC) but want it to be and average of 20-40VDC range output, something to regulate it so it won't blow anything out. I haven't got anything hooked up to is yet (except my meter).
Would like to combine it with my Solar Setup also.

Any input would be appreciated! TIA!

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Voltage Regulators
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »
more info would be better.  what are you powering with the wind turbine?  if you are charging batteries (guessing 24v bank??) then the battery bank will automatically clamp the wind turbine voltage down to it's voltage.  that is, until the battery bank is full. 

this is where a diversion, or dump load charge controller comes in.  the turbine would connect directly to the battery bank, and the charge controller would also connect to the battery bank.  the CC monitors the bank voltage and burns off excess energy to keep the bank at a desired voltage.  aka- doesn't allow you battery bank to be over charged.  there are more details than that, but lets hear some more info about what you are proposing to do first. 

adam

bioevolve

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
Wanting to power Grid-Tie Inverters with out batteries. Don't want to over volt it (24-48VDC).
I am doing that right now with Solar. I've built this Turbine a few weeks ago and was testing it, and the voltages had spike to 100VDC at high winds.
I just want to keep the Turbine output to the GTI within 24-48VDC no matter what the Turbine volt spikes to safetly.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
give us the whole system specs.  model of GTI, blade diameter of turbine, how much solar ect.  Vmp VOC, brands, wiring scheme, location, permits? 

i stabbed at the question earlier, and was obviously way off. 

adam

bioevolve

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
Someone sent me a link for a DC to DC Adjustable converters, upto 144v DC in with Adjustable 23-30v DC out!!! Thanks!

madlabs

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
Bio, can you share the link that you were sent? I'd like to see that converter too.

Jonathan