Author Topic: wood gas?  (Read 2105 times)

ThomasJ

wood gas?
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
Is there anyone in BC Canada playing around with this?
governments should be afraid of their people, not the other way around

REdiculous

Re: wood gas?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
I'm not up there but I've played w/ wood gas a bit. What are you wanting to do with the gas?..just curious...

A couple cleaned out paint cans and some metal piping is all it takes to make a simple gasifier that'll produce a flame similar to a bunsen burner. It's a good place to start, I think, since you can bang one out in an hour w/ basic tools and it's not a big investment. You can control the gas flow w/ a wet towel around the condenser can and tubing -- it's not too hard to keep a fairly steady flame/temp that way, but it's not quite the same as a knob on burner.

I've been wanting to make one similar to that but a little bigger and more robust so I can install it in our woodstove. The wood box is larger than it needs to be and I think using some of that space to produce gas could be worthwhile, but it'd have to make enough gas to run an RV fridge, or similar.....and I'm not sure if I can do it and still get/afford fire insurance, so I may have to do it in the backyard and make a fancy BBQ pit / outdoor kitchen.

I think that's 2¢ worth...yeah...
☣☠☢

ThomasJ

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »
what I was thinking was that I could run a back up generator off of wood gas. The wife and I have the dream of being totally self sufficient and making our land cost neutral or better and are working towards that goal.
governments should be afraid of their people, not the other way around

Kingfish

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
We are working towards the same thing. I want a working 120 volt generator that makes at least 20 amps of power running on wood gas.  I have looked at several companies selling them and they are expensive.  I have to choose wisely between solar, wind and wood gas here in Michigan. I have built a simple one using a paint can and copper tubing. The concept works great. I just have to scale it up to a level that will keep an engine running for 5 to 6 hours per charge. I may never get there as I feel time is running short for experimentation.

independent

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
There are active email lists discussing wood-gas.

I looked into it awhile back. Have one of those small fan powered camping gasifiers. It works well.
Looked into a Chinese made gasifier with water cooling, big enough to run a decent gen-set. These are built for village sized gas cookers. Here is a write-up of an electrical generator conversion on the webs with the model I was looking at:
http://www.spaco.org/JXQ10A.htm

The syn-gas has a significant amount of gunk that needs to be scrubbed. There is moisture and tar, but people generate electricity and the guy who runs that webpage has datalogged his output.