Author Topic: MTM Scientific PICAXE Solar Trackers  (Read 5645 times)

kcarring

MTM Scientific PICAXE Solar Trackers
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
I thought I'd try building the tracker circuit, and it turned out pretty good! Very interesting how it does not fiddle fart and waste energy like so many other simply designs, a couple of which I have built/tested in the past.

http://picpaste.com/pcb_REV_B-1rX0S20v.png

http://picpaste.com/DIY_PCB_MTM_Scientific_Picaxe_Solar_Tracker-SdK4vA8Q.jpg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:20:09 PM by kcarring »

OperaHouse

Re: MTM Scientific PICAXE Solar Trackers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »
Can't be that hard to track in darkness!

OperaHouse

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »
He fixed the picture.  That doesn't fix that on your first post you are trying to sell software for $15.  I would be  _________ (fill in the blank) if I though for a second you could get anyone here to build electronics.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
Why is it hard to build electronics? I have been doing it for 40 years, that circuit board would be a piece of cake to run off. If 10 people wanted one Far Circuits does reasonable circuit board manufacturing in small lots. Software for a simple tracker would be pretty easy to write.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »
We (OpenTRV.org.uk) are just running off a small batch of boards (for a new PICAXE design) in China for $1 each or something.

So here are people that can do electronics and PICAXE and PCBs!  B^>

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

rossw

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
So here are people that can do electronics and PICAXE and PCBs!  B^>

Some were here years ago but were driven out. Like this one

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
Great project.  Thanks for posting about it!
I got hooked on PicAxes a few years ago, built a datalogger with one.

What are your plans for the controller?  Do you have solar PV already?

PS Don't get upset at some of the comments, they aren't directed at you, it happens from time to time on discussion groups.  Welcome to the forum too!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »
Proximity to the to direct sun is Good no doubt in fact being out of direct sunlight with a third factor based on Temperature
Would  keep the optimum power out .

OperaHouse

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
My camp is 100% solar.  I wish I could do tracking.  My area has an infestation of trees.  Technically none of my panels are on my property so they must be kept low profile and "mobile."  Still a program like this is a mind exercise.  As rossw said current monitoring and communication are important.  Just a few weeks ago was a post with an actuator less than two years old rusted up.  A micro is capable of autonomous operation and should be capable of responding to all external failures.

I have a couple of old Morningstar SL-10 light controllers.  They can turn on a light a couple of hours before sunrise in addition to normal dusk operation.   The time it turns on in the morning adjusts with the seasons.  Not majic, this is adaptive control.  With known data after a couple of days it can precisely calculate when sunrise will occur.   Any microprocessor program should be able to learn what is normal, inform when something is wrong, and work around problems.  Even the loos of one sensor eye should not prevent some basic tracking.  There just isn't much of that kind of thinking here.

I think the last board I laid out was in 1980.  That was when you had to lay out tape.  Since then I have had people to do it for me.  I just found it really tedious.  Just something I can't stand.  If I have a home project I just give them $100 and they just whip it out.  Win win for everyone.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
I build allot of analog electric control circuits as well, it is pretty easy.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »
Using cell pieces to turn in a  drive transistor to Activate relays and screwdrivers is a neat plan . The transistors turn on slow as the cells reach Base to Emitter current . The handheld screw drivers have good torque at low speed . There's plus minus Voltage with  supercaps in serial .Most of the Drivers are 3.6 a match for four super caps in series charging 8 volts total where you ave +- 4 volts

But I like haveing an Arduino or a Picaxe doing the control so you have the IO for other monitoring

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-9074CTN-3-6-volt-Screwdriver/dp/B0000302UJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1363449288&sr=1-1&keywords=electric+screw+drivers

I'm wanting to use Heliostats of Aluminum sheet that cover the panels at night and in bad weather .
Nice project
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:26:11 PM by tecker »