Author Topic: You saw it here first  (Read 2239 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
You saw it here first
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
This commercial VAWT went up this afternoon directly across the street from Plantation H.S. on Sunrise Blvd. I pass this way twice a day and saw it on the way home. Went back with a camera and talked with a man in a hard hat supervising the install.

http://www.inerjy.com/ is the company. This is their 50kw model. They are proof testing it on site. The Rohn tower is 125 feet and the same type local cell phone companies in Plantation use, so the city could not deny them the permit to do it. I was told Sprint and others saw the tower go up and asked to put repeaters on it, but were told no for now. Gould Computers used to be in that building. This is in the Plantation Technology Park.

All the parts of the turbine were made inside the building next to the tower. There are wind speed monitors on the tower that feed the computers that control the 6 movable wings. The turbine is self starting and has an induction motor. I was told in case of excessive winds the vanes turn so as to point the mill into the wind (wind vane mode). I was told it starts up in about 10mph wind. All the external turbine parts are aluminum.

The mill was set on top with a crane. There were 2 men working inside underneath when I took the picture.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: You saw it here first
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Nice;
 looks like something Windstuff ED would've built:)
Thanks for the post, it'll be interesting to see the output results.
Cheers;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »
We pretty much know what that will be, about 50% of a hawt wit a comparable swept area.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
i can't get a sense of scale, how big is the rotor, about?

how tall are the wings?

50kwatt?  just trying to get a sense of scale to determine if this is
a realistic rating or a "sears" rating.

thanks
bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:32 AM »
When I blew up the photos it looks like there are 2 men working on the underside of the generator if that is the case I would estimate the swept diameter to be around 50 feet  the wings at 15 to 17 feet each making them from 30 to 34 ft tip to tip that would put them at about 4 to 5 ft surface width let's say 30ft x4 ft
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin