Author Topic: Using POR-15 for my 18" Footer  (Read 3584 times)

mitcamp

• 17 ft up june 2007 on 100 ft tower,runs 24-7
Using POR-15 for my 18" Footer
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
I have used POR-15 to cover my 2 18 inch magnet rotors front and back faces. I carefully read the book   #1  Clean,  #2  Restore  #3 Paint POR-15   #4 Hardnose/ Hardner.

I coated all 16 magnets on all sides and attached  to the 18 in. hub, and coated them again.

Is it nessasary to put a band around the outer edge of the magnets on the disc,  or would that be overkill.

Will try to send pictures, it,s been awhile.       Mitcamp

mitcamp

mitcamp

Re: Using POR-15 for my 18" Footer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
In the last picture, I put a piece of the old cracked epoxy that failed.  I found it at the bottom of the tower this spring.
mitcamp

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »
Wow, no one ever seems to post before they do something. I hope you took advantage of zinc phosphate metal etching - the 'Metal Ready' leaves surfaces looking like 600 grit AlOX sandpaper that IS the molecular level key for that paint to be 'forever' as advertised. I tried to get my Dan-Built without their powder coat paint so I could POR-15 them but it injected too much hassle on their end at the time.

Was there any corrosion perforation of the magnets' outer nickle/epoxy coating? I'd like to think the POR will penetrate deep enough to catalyze traces of moisture with its moisture-cure any residual moisture present but since the Neos are > 60% Iron once they start rusting best we can do it slow it down. I know POR will penetrate oxides on aluminum but without passivation or anodizing three or five years down the road the POR will peel off like shrink wrap as the aluminum continues to 'burn' underneath - leaves cleanish bright metal but peels off all the same. I imagine the same happening at the base of the NEO composition, a few years down the road the surface will have loosened enough to maybe be a nuisance.

The only problem with POR is there are no known solvents, to remove it from your magnets somewhen in the future will take mechanical abrasion

POR itself gives a good 'weld' if you scuffed/sanded the magnets but is brittle since its a glassy hard finish. If you could make double-duty crash guard and banding for if/when there are bearing or stator problems to protect the magnets from contacting the stator and possibly flipping a magnet loose I'd say go for it. Otherwise without some physical impact those magnets are there to stay. YMMV.

I've used 5 quarts of POR in the last few years - attached is last Falls hurry up project to get a trailer frame ready to overwinter...

mitcamp

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
In the first line # 2  I wrote ( Restore )  It should be  ( Metal Ready ) my mistake.

My magnets had little rust and some outer nickle had loosened.  I scatched the loose bubbles of nickle off with a small homemade aluminum chisel.  I then sanded the spots with sandpaper and used the Metal Ready. This has to be on for 20 min. The Metal Ready bubbled the rest of the rust and it cleaned up real good.

The magnets took the POR-15 and you cannot see where the rust ended and the nickle started. After it set for 24 hours, I tried to scratch the POR- 15 off the (marked) worst magnet and it was as solid as the others. We will see how it works.

I will see if the plastic band that I have around the magnets will work with the POR-15 and Hardnose with hardner.     Mitcamp

mitcamp

bob golding

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
i live in a marine environment and have tried several types of coatings over the last few years. the only one that works is the 2 part epoxy type used for boat hulls. it is expensive and takes time as you have to apply 3 coats over a few days.

took my turbine down last week to change the bearings and noticed the coating had lifted around the stud holes. decided to peel it all off and repaint it. there was a small amount of rust under the coating for an inch or so, the rest of the rotor was that same as when i painted it about 10 months ago. bright shiny steel. that is 10 months of salt spray. i coated the magnets as well and encased the whole lot in epoxy resin from the same company.
the stuff i used as called armourguard S

reactive resins web site address is www.reactiveresins.com .

they are UK based but will export if you cant find similar where you live.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
You ought to try por15 or chassis saver Bob, I personally prefer chassis saver the stuff is incredible, it dries rock hard and is impervious to every chemical known, but don't put it on something you might want to take apart someday as it could cause an outbreak of vile profanity and the use of a gas ax.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
Also, talking about long-term protection, I discovered POR especially dislikes sharp edges, it often pulls back to a soap-bubble thickness during the two-stage solvent drying / catalyst hardening process. Bevel or chamfer cut or drilled edges from 90° to at least two 45°'s, or at least round everything off with wet/dry paper.

bob golding

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
i did try POR15 before i tried the latest coating. there are still parts painted with it, but they are starting to rust after 2 years. i remember chris olson saying how good it was, but he sprayed it rather that painted it on. it is exceptionally salty around here.
although we are attached to the mainland it is almost a island, sea is less that 1/2 mile to a mile away on 3 sides with prevailing winds west to southwest straight off the atlantic.
leave a shiny spanner out for a day and it it has rust on it.
i am going to redo the rotor i didn't have time to do last year soon as my mate has his lathe set up in his new workshop. will do detailed pics again when i do. this rotor was done with POR15 2 years ago.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

mitcamp

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:38 AM »
Dan G, Fabricator,  What do you think of the green band that I have around the outside of the the magnets. Would it be better to have a single stainless wire instead, or do you think its not necessary at all. I am ready for the Hardnose Paint at this point.

Chris Olsen has used this product on his windgenerators. I would like to have his thought on this.
                                                                                             Mitcamp
mitcamp

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
I think if you want to leave the band on there that's fine, those mags aren't going anywhere, Chris's opinion on por is he uses it on everything.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

mitcamp

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »
O.K   I believe I am going to remove the band as I,m in the snow belt and that might make a dam to collect snow and ice. If it did collect ice and snow, it may rub the stator.

Thanks for your help.                    Mitcamp
mitcamp