Author Topic: Wanted: Very OLD and USED PV Panels  (Read 2686 times)

YellowCornerHouse

Wanted: Very OLD and USED PV Panels
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »
I am looking for old (pre-90's) solar panels as a demonstration of their longevity. Old rusty/ratty ones that have spent their entire lives outdoors are the best. Must still produce voltage, and be in one piece. I am in Eastern Massachusetts, and am willing to build a shipping box for it. I can also pick up with 100 miles of Boston.

Thanks!

davegoncalves@gmail.com

wild01

Re: Wanted: Very OLD and USED PV Panels
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »
I have some VERY old solarex panels. they are about 9"x12" solid aluminum backed w/ silicone encapsulate. no glass. they are mono-crystalline, these are the oldest solar panels I have ever seen, I have never come across any others like them. they do look extremely good for their age, but looking at how they are made, i would guess they are from Solarex's garage days. I'll post a pick tonight if I have time. I would be asking way over market for these, as to me they are more cool old novelty item than solar panel. solarex was formed in 1973, and I wouldn.t be surprised if these were some of their first panels. 

after several hours of searching I have found them. they were the first panel solarex ever mass produced made from 1974-78!! they came in h and hp 6 and 10 watts respectively.

I'll have to check but I think I have the 6 watt panel, they put out 5-6 watts now.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:04:07 PM by wild01 »

wild01

Re: Wanted: Very OLD and USED PV Panels
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
pics of panel as promised

front of panel

back of panel

closeup on id tag