Author Topic: connections pv  (Read 1551 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
connections pv
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Since I have only a couple of small solar panels at this time and are going to get more but of a different type going from 12 v to 24 v system and a different brand.  I am wondering if there is a standard requirment for all solar panels to have the same type of electircal connections on all solar panels. I'v never ordered solar panels and do not want a bunch of miss matched connectors to mess with.  13
MntMnROY 13

OperaHouse

Re: connections pv
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
MC-4 seem to be common.  I buy a lot of stuff from China, cheap but it takes weeks. I bought some on ebay from exrell.  A couple of days later I figured I better get some from a US source for a couple bucks more since I had company showing up and may need the extra panels.  The ones from exrell in Singapore showed up about the same time as the ones from US.  I ordered some more from Singapore and they also showed up a week later.  I thought Singapore and China would be about the same shipping time but Singapore sure is fast.   I have found that some brands of these connectors are hard to get apart.  They even sell special tools to do it.  I take my system down each year so ease is important.  I smooth the locking tangs so they come apart easily.   Wire is a tuffy.  These connectors are set up for wire with extra thisk insulation which is hard to find.  You might want to consider buying with wires attached.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Re: connections pv
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »
good idea thanks
MntMnROY 13